Author Topic: Just learned a new way to gut rabbits...  (Read 5959 times)

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Just learned a new way to gut rabbits...
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:07 PM »
So, I recently found a method of gutting rabbits by squeezing them like a tube of toothpaste and then they, um, go #2... I found a comment on a blog saying that it could be done with squirrels with a couple small incisions but they didn't explain. Does anyone know how to do this with squirrels? It would really cut down on processing time!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Just learned a new way to gut rabbits...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:14:09 PM »
Yikes.. have you tried this? It sounds like a complete mess to me, and bruised meat. Seriously. ask Archer. With practice you can get butchering a rabbit down to 2-3 minutes from live to put into the freezer bag.

Cedar

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:54:42 PM »
Yikes.. have you tried this? It sounds like a complete mess to me, and bruised meat. Seriously. ask Archer. With practice you can get butchering a rabbit down to 2-3 minutes from live to put into the freezer bag.

Cedar

Seems to be a pretty common way to do it. Search for "push gutting rabbit" and you'll see what I'm talking about. The first time you see it done, you're like, "Did he just...holy crap!"

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »
I would be worried about breaking the bladder and getting urine on the meat. I also think anything above the diaphragm like the heart and lungs would still be in there. I can see if you are packing game back out somewhere do to this, to keep the inside clean, but not sure what it would gain me for a domestic rabbit I will be putting in the freezer.

Interesting though.

Cedar

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 09:11:05 PM »
I would be worried about breaking the bladder and getting urine on the meat. I also think anything above the diaphragm like the heart and lungs would still be in there. I can see if you are packing game back out somewhere do to this, to keep the inside clean, but not sure what it would gain me for a domestic rabbit I will be putting in the freezer.

Interesting though.

Cedar

Guess I didn't think of your perspective since I don't raise rabbits. I was thinking from a packing game out perspective. Mainly looking for faster ways to do squirrels, though. Can't seem to get the hang of stepping on the tail. I always pull it off.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:25:04 AM »
This reminds me of guys talking about skinning a deer with a truck. It's an interesting idea but I doubt I'd ever put it into use.

I've been hunting rabbits for well over thirty years. The standard practice is the field dress (gut w/out skinning) the animal immediatly after the kill. With practice this takes way less than two minutes. (Besides, it'll take a bit to get the dogs on another rabbit anyway and if you are jump shooting rabbits, without dogs,I really don't see the hurry.) We then carry the animal on our belt until we can get it back to a vehicle. At the end of the hunt is when we remove the head, feet, skin, heart and lungs. On an unusually hot day we usually clean the critters at lunch and the end of the day.

All of that being said; I don't see what the problem with gutting one the ole fashioned way is. It already only takes a minute or so and having the cavity open allows for more rapid cooling of the carcas. Now, I've only hunted swamp rabbits in February in Mississippi where it is often in the 60s by the end of the hunt. So, it may be good for something but I don't see how it would help me.

On a side note; with coyotes and fire ants, both new to MS in the last 40 years or so, our rabbit hunting is not what it was when I was a kid. Heck, I don't know many people with rabbit dogs, anymore.

nelson96

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
I would be worried about breaking the bladder and getting urine on the meat. I also think anything above the diaphragm like the heart and lungs would still be in there.

Those are the first things that came to my mind. 

Offline Culver Creek Hunt Club

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 12:50:06 PM »
It actualy works. since you are starting at the neck and squeezing down, just like a tooth paste tube you have built up enough pressure to accomplish the goal before anything burts. with that pressure build up i have seent he urine run out it's normal avenue. Then it just takes a quick shake and it basically turn insied out through the rectum. one small slice and there is almost no blood left in the carcass. I have done it with rabits and it takes a couple tries to get it right bu when hunting all day I don't like the entrails to be left inside for that long.

I imagine squirrels are the same. maybe the incission they are talking about it the treachea? it may be stronger than a rabbits? this step isn't required for rabbits and I hae also done it with Hares.

Offline RedBeard84

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:30:40 AM »
wow that is a pretty neat way of doing it. I never heard of that before. I might have to try it.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:47:15 AM »
I've seen this done before on, but have never tried it myself.

youtube vid

http://youtu.be/glIst3sbbKs

Offline AmericanExces

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 06:00:37 PM »
I am thoroughly impressed. If I get out after rabbits this year, you bet I'm going to try that!