Author Topic: Garage Sales  (Read 14895 times)

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
Re: Garage Sales
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »
something about wandering up to a stranger's house and rummaging through their stuff irks me... but i know i need to get over this as you can find fantastic deals.

Keep in mind people have yard sales to get rid of excess stuff.  They would rather sell it cheap to someone who will use it than let it rot in a landfill. 

nelson96

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 05:01:26 PM »
Keep in mind people have yard sales to get rid of excess stuff.  They would rather sell it cheap to someone who will use it than let it rot in a landfill.

I would rather let it rot in a landfill. . . .  I have a thing for strangers coming to my home and eyeing what kinds of things I sell compared to the kinds of things I keep.  That said, I like going to garage sales, but I don't like hosting them  8)

Actually, I usually give the stuff that is still useable to the local Goodwill.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 12:05:34 AM »
I would rather let it rot in a landfill. . . .  I have a thing for strangers coming to my home and eyeing what kinds of things I sell compared to the kinds of things I keep.  That said, I like going to garage sales, but I don't like hosting them  8)

Actually, I usually give the stuff that is still useable to the local Goodwill.

I'd agree.  When I have low valued junk I donate it.
For higher priced items, it's usually worth the effort to craigslist and/or eBay as appropriate.

Offline Breal191

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »
One interest I'd like to pursue!

yup.. been garage sailin for years. just had one of my own and made 500.00 on unused stuff , turned around and bought TSP sentinels with it. I mainly look for jewelry and guitars, sometimes a tool if it jumps out at me as a deal. Lately though, most garage sales around here, the people are selling junk and want a premium price for it. The big nice items are slim anymore in my area. The big us 127 sale in august is usually where I find my good stuff anymore.

Offline cajun68

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:15 PM »
My stepmother is big into yard-sales.  she got into it by buying the left over stuff people had for small money. Then she stores it in her storage building until she has enough for a sale.  She washes the clothes and puts them all on hangers, and puts a price on everything.  She will sell some of the stuff on e-bay or craigslist.  This got her into doing estate sales for people.  I think she keeps 35%.  She made over 27,000 last year! Did i say tax free, cash money.  I saw her spend 150 on a left over sale, keep what she wanted then sell the rest for 120. Of the stuff she kept she sold it for over 400.  She has a list of people she gives stuff to that she don’t want. Usually it works like this, she goes to all the sales in her town (small town) and looks them over.  when they are over she goes back and if there is stuff she like she will make an offer on all that’s left.  usually this is around 50 to 150 bucks, then she loads up everything she wants. after that she will call her give away people to come get the rest so she don’t have to deal with stuff she don’t want. She always gets at least 1 14k gold necklace or ring.  I have a standing order for all the mason or Kerr jars she comes across for 3$ a case in the off season.  Somebody in your area is doing this so find out who they are and start wheeling and dealing with them.

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:06 AM »
Last weekend was a pretty good score. I got:

Some recycle brass... .25 (probably $2-$3 in brass)
A recycle Uninterpretable Power Supply for $1 that turned out to be good. 650 watt
A dormitory fridge $10 (that is now in the storage unit plugged into the UPS)
Two ladders, a six foot fiberglass and an eight foot aluminum for $25 (I have already sold the 8' for $30)
A huge dog cage and 10#'s of brass for $20 (the dog cage went for $55, brass will probably bring $18 or so)
A recycle battery for free ($2-$3)
.... And, I gave out a business card to two people.

I am about ready to go to the salvage to turn in metal, should clear about $100 to $150.
Still working on refinishing the metal and wood glider. Had a hard time finding #10 carriage bolts.