Author Topic: Garage Sales  (Read 15002 times)

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
Garage Sales
« on: June 28, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
I have been going to garage sales for a very long time. My mom took me garage saling back in the 70's and I have enjoyed going myself and with my uncle to this time. I have used GS's to add variety to my household furnishings. I have used GS's to buy items to sell on e-bay and craigslist. I have used GS's to add to my savings. I have used GS's to add to my preparations.

How many here also go to garage sales on a regular basis and how many are regulars?

What items do you look for? What items are your best scores? I look for Linksys routers to hack with DD-WRT software and sell on e-bay, anniversary clock domes to sell on e-bay, dog cages to sell on Craigslist (they were my bread and butter for a long time, but the market has softened). I look for the unusual and unique and have bought and sold everything an antique colonial Constellatio Nova Copper from 1785, to dollhouse furniture to dining room table and chairs to gigantic grills.

Much of my preparations for failure has been acquired through purchases and sales related to garage sales and thrift shop purchases.

Does anyone else get as much enjoyment from shopping garage sales as I do?

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
Re: Garage Sales
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »
yup.. been garage sailin for years. just had one of my own and made 500.00 on unused stuff , turned around and bought TSP sentinels with it. I mainly look for jewelry and guitars, sometimes a tool if it jumps out at me as a deal. Lately though, most garage sales around here, the people are selling junk and want a premium price for it. The big nice items are slim anymore in my area. The big us 127 sale in august is usually where I find my good stuff anymore.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:12:03 PM »
Have been long time garage saler. Look for books, old tools. Bought an RV generator one time and turned around and sold on ebay for a $500 profit. Have sold lots on craigslist as well but it and ebay have gone sour these days.

Offline chancebd7

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 05:33:15 PM »
Might be a dumb question but what exactly to you do to the routers? I've never heard of this and I'm intrigued.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 08:06:42 AM »
I go yard sailing and flea market shopping with a friend.  He is a master at finding vintage and antique items to resell.   I am learning a lot from him.   

I have found all sorts of goodies including a pickling crock, silver jewelry, tools, canning supplies, baskets to make gift baskets out of, and a few other odds and ends. 

Of course my husband is  doesn't want me to bring anymore stuff in the house till we get rid of a bunch of stuff.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 08:39:46 AM »
My wife and I go often.  Lately it has been for kid stuff for our toddler.  Why anyone would pay full retail for kids clothes is beyond me.  In the last month I got a take down all steel pair of homemade saw horses for $10 and a 6 inch or so cast iron skillet for $1.  It was not marked with a price and I asked how much.  I didnt need to haggle at $1.  It was already nicely seasoned and not a bit of rust.  I is now serving me well making perfect sized pancakes and eggs.  These have been the best finds and deals for me lately. 

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:42:26 AM »
Might be a dumb question but what exactly to you do to the routers? I've never heard of this and I'm intrigued.

Cisco (Linksys) and other router manufacturers were using a Linux based operating system for their routers OS. Since Linux is open source software, a company cannot use the code proprietorially and not release the source code to the open source community. They were sued and had to release the coda and the open source community went to work on the code. The result was a very robust, enterprise grade operating system that can be flashed to a standard Linksys router. Look up DD-WRT and the Wiki page will give a good description as well as instructions and supported devices. Other routers can also be flashed, but the Linksys routers are far and away the most popular hacked routers.

If you would like to contact me for more info or help, send me a note to t00nces2@yahoo.com. Mention in the subject DD-WRT and I will get back to you. That e-mail is my encryption account, so if you would like to learn more about e-mail encryption, I will help you with that too.

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 12:43:05 PM »
Cisco (Linksys) and other router manufacturers were using a Linux based operating system for their routers OS. Since Linux is open source software, a company cannot use the code proprietorially and not release the source code to the open source community. They were sued and had to release the coda and the open source community went to work on the code. The result was a very robust, enterprise grade operating system that can be flashed to a standard Linksys router. Look up DD-WRT and the Wiki page will give a good description as well as instructions and supported devices. Other routers can also be flashed, but the Linksys routers are far and away the most popular hacked routers.

Uhhh, yeah, that helped  ???  ;D

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56:16 PM »
I was also expecting a reply in English regarding the routers. Nope, it's still Greek to me :)

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »
I was also expecting a reply in English regarding the routers. Nope, it's still Greek to me :)

Don't you mean GEEK ;)

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
Sorry. Basically put turbo and headers on the baby!

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »
Just had a 3 day sale.. made 1200 bucks

woot.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »
I went to four today after a half day of work.  Nothing to brag about this week.

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 07:30:37 AM »
My scores this week were a bunch of crystals I can sell for probably near $3 a piece. I bought 42 for $7.50.
I also got a Linksys router for $3, will sell for twenty when flashed.
Scored some dirt cheap brass... will go for $1.80/lb

I will probably use my secret alchemy formula to turn items into silver.

Last week I spent $4 and it looks like it is going to buy three oz of Ag.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
That's some good scores.
Have had good luck in the past with kids yard toys, furniture pieces. Found an old large microphone one time and sold for $150 profit. Bought a bunch of old Playboy magazines one time and resold them individually after having them awhile to read the articles... An old Batman comic book made $200 profit on. Those types of finds don't come along much anymore.
Still have a bunch of old magazines. The topics and old ads are rather interesting of companies that have long been out of business.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
I love this site http://yardsaletreasuremap.com/ but I have not gone to any garage sales for about a year.

Cedar

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
I love this site http://yardsaletreasuremap.com/ but I have not gone to any garage sales for about a year.

Cedar
[/quote

Thank you Cedar. I used that link today and will use tomorrow.

I got a really cool antique lamp today. It has a very odd socket for light bulbs. Maybe someone here can help point me in the right direction to find bulbs...

The base is tiny. Probably 3/16" or so.

I paid more than I would for a resell item, but I liked the lamp.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 05:30:11 AM »
candelabra bulbs maybe?

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 07:27:11 AM »
candelabra bulbs maybe?

Unfortunately, no. They are way smaller than candelabra. No bilbs to fit at Home Depot, so I went to a lighting store and they said they had never seen the socket before.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 07:49:23 PM »
Unfortunately, no. They are way smaller than candelabra. No bilbs to fit at Home Depot, so I went to a lighting store and they said they had never seen the socket before.

A candelabra bulb is an E12 (12mm), so what you are probably needing is an E5 (5mm, 3/16"). 
(Gorgeous candelabra wall lamp, by the way! :))

E5 Candle Bridge Frosted Lamps                  E5 Liliput Tube Lamps

Note that the only places I've found candelabra-type E5 bulbs were in the UK.
And http://www.uklightbulbs.co.uk/light-bulbs-rare-light-bulb-hard-to-find-lamps-coloured-lighting seems to be the cheapest.  I've yet to find a place in the US that carries them, so I would venture to say that your lamp came from across the pond.

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:36 PM »
What does the wall plug look like?  Does it look like a standard US plug?  I know UK plugs are quite different.  That may answer once and for all if the lamp came from the UK.

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 05:06:18 AM »
A candelabra bulb is an E12 (12mm), so what you are probably needing is an E5 (5mm, 3/16"). 
(Gorgeous candelabra wall lamp, by the way! :))

E5 Candle Bridge Frosted Lamps                  E5 Liliput Tube Lamps

Note that the only places I've found candelabra-type E5 bulbs were in the UK.
And http://www.uklightbulbs.co.uk/light-bulbs-rare-light-bulb-hard-to-find-lamps-coloured-lighting seems to be the cheapest.  I've yet to find a place in the US that carries them, so I would venture to say that your lamp came from across the pond.

That E5 looks like the right bulb. The little flame bulbs would be perfect for the lamp. I went to a store called Light Bulb Depot and they did not have the bulb, but they said they would look to find one for me.

Although it looks like a wall lamp, it is actually a table lamp. I don't know if you can tell, but it is all wood. The "candles" below where the bulb goes, looks to me to ebony. I want to get it working and I may sell it on e-bay or I may keep it myself (It may look nice next to the $2 400 day anniversary clock I got a month or so ago).

What does the wall plug look like?  Does it look like a standard US plug?  I know UK plugs are quite different.  That may answer once and for all if the lamp came from the UK.

The plug was a regular American style plug.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
I know UK plugs are quite different.  That may answer once and for all if the lamp came from the UK.

Yes, although it still could have originated from the UK and yet still have a US plug, as it's relatively easy to switch/replace plugs.

Although it looks like a wall lamp, it is actually a table lamp. I don't know if you can tell, but it is all wood. The "candles" below where the bulb goes, looks to me to ebony. I want to get it working and I may sell it on e-bay or I may keep it myself (It may look nice next to the $2 400 day anniversary clock I got a month or so ago).

Being a table lamp, I like it even more. :)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
I do enjoy this hobby, as time and money permits. 
I use profiling techniques to decide which locations to hit.

For my region (Puget Sound/Seattle Metro) this is the ideal scenario:

1) middle/upper class neighborhood - not too rich to cut their own grass, but well off otherwise.
2) older neighborhood - recent empty nesters, or elderly looking to downsize can mean steep discounts and bargaining power.
3) retired (boeing) engineers or tradesmen - often have fantastic quality shop tools and equipment

Basically, I'm not interested in 30 year old couples selling baby clothes and DVDs.

Notable recent deals:

* gallon freezer bag of drill bits - $15 (retire Boeing machinist looking to downsize)
* ununsed 2 man tent - $3 (recent empty nesters selling off crap their kids will never use)
* kerosene heater + 20 gallons of fuel - $10 (retired gentlemen bought for his shop, but was downsizing)  (the fuel alone was worth twice that)
* 14g 30' extension cord - $ 1 (retired tradesman was downsizing to smaller home)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
If they had garage sales at night I would go. I dont do mornings. Too early for this guy. :P

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2013, 11:06:07 PM »
something about wandering up to a stranger's house and rummaging through their stuff irks me... but i know i need to get over this as you can find fantastic deals.

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 06:15:41 AM »
I do enjoy this hobby, as time and money permits. 
I use profiling techniques to decide which locations to hit.

For my region (Puget Sound/Seattle Metro) this is the ideal scenario:

1) middle/upper class neighborhood - not too rich to cut their own grass, but well off otherwise.
2) older neighborhood - recent empty nesters, or elderly looking to downsize can mean steep discounts and bargaining power.
3) retired (boeing) engineers or tradesmen - often have fantastic quality shop tools and equipment

Basically, I'm not interested in 30 year old couples selling baby clothes and DVDs.

Notable recent deals:

* gallon freezer bag of drill bits - $15 (retire Boeing machinist looking to downsize)
* ununsed 2 man tent - $3 (recent empty nesters selling off crap their kids will never use)
* kerosene heater + 20 gallons of fuel - $10 (retired gentlemen bought for his shop, but was downsizing)  (the fuel alone was worth twice that)
* 14g 30' extension cord - $ 1 (retired tradesman was downsizing to smaller home)

Very nice on the kero heater! I have flipped a couple of kero's, and I have kept one to use in winter. My wife is from Maine and she brought a 23,000 BTU kero down that cooks the house in about an hour. The smaller 10,000 BTU runs longer without baking us out.

I like the demographics you use. My demo's are similar;

* I go for the older parts of Sarasota, most of the homes are twenty years + (twenty year old homes in Sarasota are "old" homes. Most of SRQ was built 1950+)
* I keep to the most densely populated neighborhoods. No sense in driving farther than I have to.
* The neighborhoods I visit, for the most part, have a lower incidence of children. Lots of children mean lots of kid stuff and I am out of the kid business!

One of the things I really like is the art of the deal. There is a lot of conversation with people from all walks of life and all experience. It seems that modern life reduces the contact with other people and garage sales provides an opportunity for interaction I enjoy. A week or so ago I actually had a conversation with a man who landed on Omaha Beach on D Day. He actually broke down talking about how the people around him were being shot and dying. I thanked him. I felt very small next to someone who had done something so significant for me.

Being a table lamp, I like it even more. :)

Here is the lamp...

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »
One of the reasons I started the garage sale thread was that I thought people would post the skills they used to make a garage sale item more salable or bring an item purchased back to life.

I got a porch glider that was working but was in pretty rough shape. It is a nice glider and I got it for $10. I am going to take it apart, paint the metal parts, refinish the wood parts and put it back together to use on my back porch.

This is what I am starting with...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 01:56:15 PM »
I know a local high school kid who buys non-running lawn mowers from garage sales and craigslist ads.  He fixes them up for $5-10 (he says 9/10 times they need only a new flywheel key or spark plug) and flips them for 5x what he pays.

Offline t00nces2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Todd's Home Repair
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 02:21:30 PM »
I wish instead of everyone posting the skills people here wanted to learn, people would post the skills they have and were interested in helping others learn. I see chickens owner/farmers are posting (and I hope to be a student before too long), but no one else seems to think of the things they love to do, or are passionate about, are skills. I am going to try to post what I do to make a few extra bucks and improve my preparedness by shopping garage sales.

That said, I wish lawnmower boy would help the lawnmower engine illiterate learn to fix small engines. That is a skill I would like to add. I can fix just about anything, but engines seem to be something I am extremely effective at turning a poorly running motorized tool into a pile of ten cents a pound scrap.