Author Topic: Question: Re-caulking (cementing) box wood stove  (Read 6508 times)

Offline Famine

• Fledgling Prepper
  • That recycling zombie guy...
    • ReclaimedCabin
Question: Re-caulking (cementing) box wood stove
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
I've been rescuing a box wood stove (Voglz) that I found on the side of the road last month. I'm well into the last stages of wire-wheeling the rust off the exterior and interior, and will be ready to paint before the weeks end.

The problem I've run into is the order of operations in caulking. Do I caulk it before hand, do my curing burn, clean it out, then paint it? The only thing I feel like I'll gain here is that I won't mix the high heat paint with the cement and mess with the cure process. Perhaps I'll be able to color any squeeze out with the stove black that I might miss when I edge up the seams with an old credit card.

Will I gain anything by sealing it, painting it, then do the curing burn? Any help or experience would be fantastic.

-K

Offline Virginian

• Survivor
  • The Virginian
Re: Question: Re-caulking (cementing) box wood stove
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
Do you need to cement (re-factory) the fire box or can you reline it with fire bricks?

What needs caulking other than the door and flu gaskets?

You can paint the exterior with high temp paint and burn it in with the doors and windows open as it will create some nasty stinky smoke.

Pictures would help.

Offline Famine

• Fledgling Prepper
    • ReclaimedCabin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »
Photos here: http://reclaimedcabin.blogspot.com/2013/09/vogelzang-boxwood-stove-found-on.html It's the little stabdard Vogelzang boxwood stove you see for sale. I've seen some major complaints come off of that stove, but it seems to me like folks aren't willing to put the extra effort in to close up some of the gaps on the stove to make it more efficient.

Anyway, I'm finishing rust removal on the body of the stove today (long weekend readying the house for winter), then I'm tackling the caulking. So if anyone has some input on wether or not to caulk the inside of the stove (remember, I'm worried about squeeze out mixing with the paint), before I paint it, let me know.

Cheers guys!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
You can probably glean some info off this guys site. I have used it for reference in the past http://stovehospital.com/

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:44 AM »
input on wether or not to caulk the inside of the stove (remember, I'm worried about squeeze out mixing with the paint), before I paint it, let me know.

Why do you feel you need to paint or caulk the inside of the stove?. . .  I would recommend no paint (on the inside) and welding instead of caulking.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 11:30:56 AM »
If it is cast iron, it is difficult to weld. I have a 1860's Early Box Stove and it is "caulked" as well and it is my 'someday' project to get to. Poorly done cast iron welding could inflict more damage than it is trying to fix. Also when you start to weld it, heat it up slowly and evenly to get the iron to expand.

I know that many people when they get antique cast iron stoves (and not sure yours is?) they tear them all down and re-do them as in the long run it is better for the life of the stove (and the fireboxes usually have to be redone anyway) and keep you from getting carbon dioxide poisoning.

Long long ago I used to weld, but too long ago to really give you more advise than this.

Cedar

Offline Famine

• Fledgling Prepper
    • ReclaimedCabin
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
There seems to be some confusion:

I'm going to caulk the seams (with stove cement, just like this model comes with brand new) at the back and near the door of the stove, since the previous one cracked and fell apart in several places (again, this stove is used, it IS a cement seal, after all, and this stove was in rough shape from exposure when I got it.) Sometimes, when caulking in spaces similar to this, you get ooze or squeeze out the other side. Also, to give the cement a final cure, I've been advised to do a burn in it before I close it off and put it away.

I'm painting THE OUTSIDE of the stove, with high heat stove paint, as I already have the rest of the stove. This will help protect the stove from rust etc, more so than letting it continue to rust on it's own, like it was when I got it.

My concern being with the squeeze out mixing with the paint, and then the initial burn, is if the cement wont maybe cure properly, or the paint will mix with the cement before the cure, and release some awful toxic gas that will kill me (and I'm only half joking).

The reason I'm so anxious to paint it right after curing it is so that I can get some "after" shots of it all fixed up like new, and it would seem silly to put it together, snug everything together, do the initial curing burn outside, and then take it apart and finish with the painting.

Hopefully I made myself a little more clear, I tend to mix myself up sometimes, too.

Cheers.