Author Topic: Why do you carry a gun? Or why not?  (Read 11737 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Why do you carry a gun? Or why not?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2013, 07:23:19 AM »
I'd rather lose my job than my life. That being said our parking area is inside a fence with "security". I do not carry at work because I feel relatively safe. If I didn't I'd carry anyway and hope I never got caught or needed it but then again if I didn't feel pretty safe I'd have quit by now.

i drive around a lot, and usually through to two worst zip codes in the city as oddly enough that's where business takes me sometimes. it's a reassurance thing. and while i don't think it is a popular target among drug trafficers, i do drive a huge cargo van that could carry a lot of stuff, and being this close to mexico vehicle thefts for smuggling happen all of the time.

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 07:35:15 AM »
I'd rather lose my job than my life. That being said our parking area is inside a fence with "security". I do not carry at work because I feel relatively safe. If I didn't I'd carry anyway and hope I never got caught or needed it but then again if I didn't feel pretty safe I'd have quit by now.

Kennesaw, GA, is a very safe, low-crime, upper middle class area, just northwest of Atlanta.  In fact, some say it's a safe place because they have a law in Kennesaw that requires every head of household to own a gun.  Some say it's a silly, unenforceable law, but crime plummeted when they put that law into effect over 30 years ago.

Your comment reminded me of something that happened in Kennesaw on January 12, 2010.  An ex-Penske employee returned to his former workplace and began shooting.  Four employees and one customer were shot.  Three of the victims died of their injuries within 24 hours, one died of his injuries recently, and one was critically wounded.  The only armed person at the scene was the shooter.  He was caught by police a mile away as he attempted to flee in his truck.  It's been over three years and he is still awaiting trial.  His attorney is delaying, because he says his client is not competent to stand trial.

I bring this up, because a shooting can happen where you least expect it, even at work in a safe area.  In this case, if an employee or customer was armed, maybe the shooter would have been killed instead of the victims. 

Why do I carry?  Because anything can happen.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 09:19:23 AM »
Fortunately I work in an area that, though technically incorporated, is in an almost rural area. The building I'm in is literally a mile long and I work pretty far from the front doors and an active shooter would likely start shooting before they got as far back as I am. I have a few ideas on what to do and where to go if I heard shots.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 05:14:26 PM »
I don't carry.  Why?  Because my ex hid my gun when I divorced him and wouldn't tell me where it was (and I was a spineless doormat at the time).  I never said he was dumb.  Well, at least not that ex.  Anyway, by the time I had him convinced I wasn't going to shoot him, whether he deserved it or not, he had sold it.  So now I don't have anything other than Jay's .22 rifle which looks a little ridiculous sticking out of my purse at the grocery store.

I was supposed to get about $17k in a tiny pension fund when I got laid off, but my company is holding it hostage in case they suddenly decide they miss me and rehire me.  I can't get to it for a year.  I was going to use the money to pay off my car, buy a decent handgun (1911 or a Beretta 9mm) and get my concealed carry.

Why do I want to carry?

I'm a chick, so I automatically look like an easier target.  My last job had me walking around in the very worst neighborhoods, and I had the right attitude, but I would still have groups of people eying me and being just a little too interested in a lone and unarmed woman.  Even though we were out there alone (sorry, a radio doesn't count as self defense) we weren't allowed to carry pepper spray or anything.  So I carried a pen.  Okay, if you want to get technical, it was a tactical pen.  But as far as anyone needed to know, it was a writing pen.

I also know that being in a quite middle-class neighborhood means nothing.  It doesn't make you safe in any way.  The house next door was broken into when the woman was home alone.  Thankfully she had dogs that she let out of the bedroom to "investigate" and the bad guys fled.  Right next door, and it really is a quiet neighborhood.  And then there are the guys that follow people into their garages for home invasions.  And on and on.

I also want to carry because I can.  I like that I still have that freedom, and I don't want that to ever be taken away because people just don't care.  And I want the average guy to get used to people carrying so it's not something "those people" do.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »
I don't carry.  Why?  Because my ex hid my gun when I divorced him and wouldn't tell me where it was (and I was a spineless doormat at the time).  I never said he was dumb.  Well, at least not that ex.  Anyway, by the time I had him convinced I wasn't going to shoot him, whether he deserved it or not, he had sold it.  So now I don't have anything other than Jay's .22 rifle which looks a little ridiculous sticking out of my purse at the grocery store.

I was supposed to get about $17k in a tiny pension fund when I got laid off, but my company is holding it hostage in case they suddenly decide they miss me and rehire me.  I can't get to it for a year.  I was going to use the money to pay off my car, buy a decent handgun (1911 or a Beretta 9mm) and get my concealed carry.

Why do I want to carry?

I'm a chick, so I automatically look like an easier target.  My last job had me walking around in the very worst neighborhoods, and I had the right attitude, but I would still have groups of people eying me and being just a little too interested in a lone and unarmed woman.  Even though we were out there alone (sorry, a radio doesn't count as self defense) we weren't allowed to carry pepper spray or anything.  So I carried a pen.  Okay, if you want to get technical, it was a tactical pen.  But as far as anyone needed to know, it was a writing pen.

I also know that being in a quite middle-class neighborhood means nothing.  It doesn't make you safe in any way.  The house next door was broken into when the woman was home alone.  Thankfully she had dogs that she let out of the bedroom to "investigate" and the bad guys fled.  Right next door, and it really is a quiet neighborhood.  And then there are the guys that follow people into their garages for home invasions.  And on and on.

I also want to carry because I can.  I like that I still have that freedom, and I don't want that to ever be taken away because people just don't care.  And I want the average guy to get used to people carrying so it's not something "those people" do.

You rock.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
I carry because I like options.
In the past, having that option allowed me to interact with possible 'threats' with a confidence they felt and respected. Didn't have to show it, just didn't flinch. 

It is just a reasonable thing to do in the world we live in.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 08:21:20 PM »
I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.  Wait...I take that back, sort of. I "have" carried a cop before (my hubby ;D) but only for a short distance, and not something I'd be able to do on a regular basis.  But since he's not with me every second of every day, I need my own protection, whether it be against man or beast.  Although if I ever need to use it against a "man" then that person is a "beast."