Author Topic: audio resources  (Read 1545 times)

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
audio resources
« on: July 28, 2013, 01:17:53 PM »
I am looking for some audio resources for learning stuff such as trade type stuff. I have a lot of time that I can listen right now and that is about it. I drive tractor trailers over the road, so I figure my best bet is to focus on audio books. I am utilizing our local library, which has internet audio books for download as well. Unfortunately, they only have fiction, some history (debatable on quality), and some sciences. I might focus some time on languages, since those are available, but what I really want to get into is anything related to trades - gunsmithing, woodworking, machining, ETC. I realize these are mostly hands on learning things, but I don't have the time or money to put into that right now, as I am away from home so much/irregularly and am focused on getting out of debt. So I am focusing on anything I can.

Thanks

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: audio resources
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »
I am looking for some audio resources for learning stuff such as trade type stuff. I have a lot of time that I can listen right now and that is about it. I drive tractor trailers over the road, so I figure my best bet is to focus on audio books.
I hate to be a downer but...

Unfortunately, many non-fiction - especially books that are  intended to teach you something (like a trade, as you indicated) would have many charts, graphs, illustrations, graphics, photos, etc. that would be linked to the text.  Meaning you wouldn't understand what you were listening to unless you could focus on the non-text image with it.  It's not likely that you would find many audio editions of books intended to teach you a trade.  Sorry....

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
Re: audio resources
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »
I have to agree with Ms. Albatross.  My work had me walking and driving around by myself for 6 or more hours every day, and I had A LOT of time to listen to audiobooks and educational podcasts.  If you're restricted to audio alone, the most you're going to be able to pick up on is an overview when it comes to technical stuff.  Without the charts and graphs, etc to reference, it's all going to sound like gibberish after a while.

Having said that, a great resource is the "Save Our Skills" podcast.  It's more about survival and "forgotten" skills, but it's pretty interesting.
http://www.saveourskills.com/