Author Topic: Bank wants receipts before reimbursing woman  (Read 10612 times)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
Bank wants receipts before reimbursing woman
« on: July 30, 2013, 07:34:18 AM »
This bank foreclosed on the wrong house while the homeowner was away, threw away, sold, or gave away everything she owned, and now they are claiming she needs to produce receipts for everything she had before they will reimburse her.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/07/26/wellston-bank-issues-statement-about-home-it-wrongfully-foreclosed-upon-balks-at-paying-up.html

The last sentence says she has hired an attorney. You think?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Bank wants receipts before reimbursing woman
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »
wow, sounds like the bank is going to be in some hot water. the part where they offered her a bowflex they found on the side of the road... wow...

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:05:05 AM »
And they gave away a basketball hoop to a neighbor???

Honestly, even if there was close to nothing in the house, I think $18,000 is getting off cheap.  I'm guessing the local branch is balking at that, but the main corporate office is going to think it's worth it just to make her go away.

They can make the money back just by firing the guy that screwed up royally.

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 08:07:22 AM »
Funny how all the headlines about the foreclosures frauds have all gone quiet, eh?
Seems like it was just last year that there was judges cracking down on the TBTF banks for robo-signings and no-documentation mortgages, doesn't it?

What happened to all that news? What happened to all those foreclosure cases where the owners were going to the courthouse demanding to see the paperwork about who actually owned all the bits and pieces of their mortgage?

I'm genuinely curious as to what the foreclosure numbers look like in the past year or so... I get the feeling that since the banks don't want any of these properties hitting the market anyway (since marking to market would show their assets are worth only a fraction of what they are claiming), they're more than happy to just let these owners keep their places and try to "refinance" or "modify".

As for this woman? I think the only real justice would be for the president of that bank to give up his house to her... it's not like he's not going to get an 8 figure bonus in a few months anyway, right?  :P

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »
bank needs to pay.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:07:50 PM »
Doesn't something sound a bit fishy, here?

". . .The grass at the home was overgrown, the door was unlocked and the utilities were turned off. Officials said they simply discarded what was assumed to be trash and abandoned items. . ."

Now, keep in mind that I'm not defending the bank. If she didn't owe the money, then they should return the items.  I think it would be wise if they DID buy all new things, assuming the woman can PROVE that she had them.

"Why, yes. . .yes I DID have an 80" plasma screen with a Bose sound system. . .yes. . .honest.

"Yes, I had a $2300 super-ultimate Bowflex machine, 'cuz, like, y'know, I worked out like a demon in my spare time.

"Oh, the unmown grass?  The lack of utilities?  There's really nothing to see, there.  Move along.  Let's discuss how you're going to reimburse me for my original Renoir and the one-of-a-kind Remington statue I had in the garage."

Again, not defending the bank, who should pay for what they did.  In fact, I would suggest that the FIRST thing she should have done is go see a lawyer.  What lawyer wouldn't tear this bank a new orifice?  What  attorney would not LOVE to get this bank in front of a jury?   Hell, I'm not a lawyer and I'D LOVE TO DO IT.

Something isn't 100% right, here.

The Professor

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:33:38 PM »
In a couple of other stories I read, she said the grass was overgrown because she was out of town for two weeks but that the bank is lying about the utilities and the unlocked door. The truth will come out in court.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 06:55:30 PM »
In a couple of other stories I read, she said the grass was overgrown because she was out of town for two weeks but that the bank is lying about the utilities and the unlocked door. The truth will come out in court.

That sounds fairly reasonable.  Most people lock the door especially if they're going out of town.

And they pretty much already admitted they either gave some stuff away or threw it out.  Even if she wasn't living there, $18,000 is cheap to make someone go away before it gets really expensive.

Offline Truik

• Perpetual Student
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 07:23:30 PM »
The bank clearly repo'ed the wrong house and even admitted as much. The addresses were clearly marked on each of the houses mailboxes.

It shouldn't matter how long her grass was or whether it was the cheapy Bowflex or the Ultra model.

They weren't delivering a pizza...guessing and knocking on doors. They were confiscating a family's home and they grabbed the wrong one. How could they not verify the address? The home they were seeking was actually on the OTHER side of the street. "Evens" on one side..."Odds" on the other. How hard could it have been?

I would think that writing a check to the homeowner and erring on the side of caution with the actual numbers on the check would be the immediate order of the day.

Asking for receipts for everything she owns...not producing any reimbursement whatsoever...offering her a Bowflex found on the side of the road...I would think these are all public relations nightmares for any reasonably sane bank officer.

Offline mithgar50

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 08:36:59 PM »
Besides replacing the lost items what about the aggravation and hassle of having to replace everything in the house.  Also items such as family photos and items made by kids that didn't have monetary value but can not be replaced.  Even if she was highballing the bank it would seem fair to me.

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 05:43:57 AM »
I don't think she's highballing the bank. If I tried to add up the value of everything we have in the house -replacement value, that is, not what we paid for it when we got it -I quickly get into the five digits, and we don't have several kids. And that's without adding in the really expensive items, like the 100 year-old handcarved China cabinet made of now-endangered wood we recently inherited from K's great-grandmother. It's held 4 generations of family treasures. Ignore the actual monetary value of the cabinet for a moment (trust me, it's quite high). How do you put a value on a family heirloom like that?

This bank is run by idiots. They should have written her a check for much more than she asked for (like $25,000) and had it hand-delivered by the local branch president along with a sincere apology. Now the jury is likely to punish them with hundreds of thousands, if not millions, in punitive damages.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 06:32:48 AM »
Besides replacing the lost items what about the aggravation and hassle of having to replace everything in the house.  Also items such as family photos and items made by kids that didn't have monetary value but can not be replaced.  Even if she was highballing the bank it would seem fair to me.

She should sue for punitive damages. Look she had the embarrassment of having the bank come into her home and empty it out because they were foreclosing on her home. This was done in front of her neighbors and everyone driving by her house. This was all because the bank made a big error and now they’re basically telling her to go pound salt. I hope she sues them for a couple of million and wins! The banksers in this world are out of control and their reign of terror needs to come to an end! Oh were is Andrew Jackson when we need him?!

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2013, 07:43:10 AM »
She should sue for punitive damages. Look she had the embarrassment of having the bank come into her home and empty it out because they were foreclosing on her home. This was done in front of her neighbors and everyone driving by her house. This was all because the bank made a big error and now they’re basically telling her to go pound salt. I hope she sues them for a couple of million and wins! The banksers in this world are out of control and their reign of terror needs to come to an end! Oh were is Andrew Jackson when we need him?!

this is where i disagree. i don't think she should be entitled to millions of dollars. sure, she should get compensation for the value of her things and any damage done, and i'm ok with some extra for the trouble and embarrassment that she went through, and the non replaceable stuff like pictures/memories. but millions? it's obvious by looking at her place that there is no way it's worth millions. i think that kind of logic puts her just as in the wrong as the bank in terms of greed.

same thing with the HOA and trayvon martin's parents. the HOA settled for around 1 million to the family. please. now we've put a price on a life, and i don't care who you are that is too much money. i'm not trying to turn this into a zimmerman thread, but that is a recent example that i wanted to use. i don't agree with suing for that kind of money, no matter who you are and who is at fault.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 08:18:13 AM »
this is where i disagree. i don't think she should be entitled to millions of dollars. sure, she should get compensation for the value of her things and any damage done, and i'm ok with some extra for the trouble and embarrassment that she went through, and the non replaceable stuff like pictures/memories. but millions? it's obvious by looking at her place that there is no way it's worth millions. i think that kind of logic puts her just as in the wrong as the bank in terms of greed.

same thing with the HOA and trayvon martin's parents. the HOA settled for around 1 million to the family. please. now we've put a price on a life, and i don't care who you are that is too much money. i'm not trying to turn this into a zimmerman thread, but that is a recent example that i wanted to use. i don't agree with suing for that kind of money, no matter who you are and who is at fault.

Well. . .I don't know if I agree or disagree with the value issue here.

Do I think that she should get $1,000,000, or more, for what happened to her?  No.

In my opinion, she should get replacement value for what she lost as long as she can prove that she had it.

Now, a lot of people are going to get all twitterpated over the requirement to prove it.  I don't mean she has to provide a receipt.  She has to just show that she did buy a Bowflex Ultra, for example, rather than a Bowflex Basic.  How?  Easy.  Call Bowflex.  They will provide her with a receipt.

Does she not have any pictures of the house or any of it's contents?  Can she get three people to sign an affidavit that she did, indeed, have a certain item?

The other side is that I also believe the bank SHOULD be punished for this.  Rather severely. 

In this case, I believe that the homeowner definitely should be compensated for her troubles and her embarrassment in front of her neighbors.  Give her, say, $50,000.  But the bank should also be penalized further with that money going towards homeless people, for example.

Hit them for $1,000,000 and give it away to the homeless shelters in the area or to programs that support single mothers.

All I was saying, in this particular thread, is that something is amiss. The Bank did wrong. . .pure and simple. . .and they should pay.  But something just doesn't ring right with this story or this woman.

The Professor

Offline Coctailer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Run with scissors!!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 08:46:31 AM »
How do you provide receipts if the bank invaded your home and threw them all away?

I would tell the bank to go to the dump and dig the receipts THEY THREW OUT out of the garbage.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »

The 1 million to the Zimmmerman family.  It isn't a "price on a life".  IMO, it is necessary compensation because the family probably can no longer blend in with society and hold a regular job again.  In addition, their attorney fees may be easily approaching this figure.  The Attorney who represented Zimmerman had a legal firm behind him.  In reality, Zimmeran didn't really hire 1 attorney, he hired several.  The Zimmermans had to move and they have to keep a very low profile, this costs money.

Regarding this repo, this is obviously messed up.  What people fail to realize is that the cost is even higher than just the replacement cost.  Even if she had the receipts, one needs to consider inflation; time away from work to "rebuild" and delivery fees for large items.  How about the gas you are going to burn doing all this shopping and the food in the pantry?  And what price do you put on sentimental value?  My wife would be scarey to be around if anyone took her scrapbooks.  Heck, I would even charge the bank my hourly rate for the shopping time it takes me to replace these items.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
Well. . .I don't know if I agree or disagree with the value issue here.

Do I think that she should get $1,000,000, or more, for what happened to her?  No.

In my opinion, she should get replacement value for what she lost as long as she can prove that she had it.

Now, a lot of people are going to get all twitterpated over the requirement to prove it.  I don't mean she has to provide a receipt.  She has to just show that she did buy a Bowflex Ultra, for example, rather than a Bowflex Basic.  How?  Easy.  Call Bowflex.  They will provide her with a receipt.

Does she not have any pictures of the house or any of it's contents?  Can she get three people to sign an affidavit that she did, indeed, have a certain item?

The other side is that I also believe the bank SHOULD be punished for this.  Rather severely. 

In this case, I believe that the homeowner definitely should be compensated for her troubles and her embarrassment in front of her neighbors.  Give her, say, $50,000.  But the bank should also be penalized further with that money going towards homeless people, for example.

Hit them for $1,000,000 and give it away to the homeless shelters in the area or to programs that support single mothers.

The Professor

i was actually thinking the same thing after i posted. i do feel the woman is entitled to her things plus a little, but not millions. the bank should pay beyond what they giver her, however. i was thinking of the homeless/non-profit route as well.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 09:24:18 AM »
The 1 million to the Zimmmerman family.  It isn't a "price on a life".  IMO, it is necessary compensation because the family probably can no longer blend in with society and hold a regular job again.  In addition, their attorney fees may be easily approaching this figure.  The Attorney who represented Zimmerman had a legal firm behind him.  In reality, Zimmeran didn't really hire 1 attorney, he hired several.  The Zimmermans had to move and they have to keep a very low profile, this costs money.

i swear i'm not trying to derail this thread :)

the HOA paid the money to martin's family, not zimmerman.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2013, 09:46:34 AM »
i swear i'm not trying to derail this thread :)

the HOA paid the money to martin's family, not zimmerman.

Ah, got it.  I have not been plugged into the news very much, for about the last year. Lots of changes going on in our lives, so I apologize.

Wow, what a messed up world we live in! I did not realize this.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2013, 10:20:25 AM »

Punitive damages are used to discourage others from doing the same action to harm innocent individuals. It's basically a financial "jail sentence".   

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »
Punitive damages are used to discourage others from doing the same action to harm innocent individuals. It's basically a financial "jail sentence".   

that's fine, but as i said i don't think she should get millions of dollars. she should get what she's owed and then some, but no where near that much.

i still stand by making them 'server their sentence' by paying a million or so to local homeless shelters or get back on your feet work programs. why not upgrade the local schools computers? there are so many ways that they can pay without overcompensating the woman.

i feel one of the reasons people are so sue happy is because they hope they can score that million dollar settlement. i hate to bring it up, but the idiot woman that sued mcdonalds for her hot coffee... really? i think by not awarding huge settlements when it's obviously not warranted would help to stem the abuse of outrageous lawsuits.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:26 AM »
i feel one of the reasons people are so sue happy is because they hope they can score that million dollar settlement. i hate to bring it up, but the idiot woman that sued mcdonalds for her hot coffee... really? i think by not awarding huge settlements when it's obviously not warranted would help to stem the abuse of outrageous lawsuits.

I used to work for a civil defense law firm - in Vegas, no less.  Talk about a ton of people looking to hit a legal "jackpot"... the things people sued for, and the amounts they wanted, were just ridiculous.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 11:40:57 AM »
The banksters need to cough up 1,000,000 because it needs to be a DETERRENT against them ever doing something like that again.

This IS NOT a "oh, my bad" kind of a situation. I can't even believe people would argue against that on this forum.

How many of YOU would react in an "oh please just replace my stuff you threw away" when a bunch of dirty scumbag banksters and their cronies MARCHED INTO YOUR HOME — gave away, or sold all of your preps, took your family heirlooms and tossed them in the trash, destroyed all of your paper records, projects you may have been working on, etc...

What about all of your FIREARMS that fell into someone else's hands, or in the hands of the police to DESTROY them — or MAYBE someone goes out and commits a crime with YOUR GUN.

Think about how hard it is just to MOVE INTO a house and UNPACK YOUR STUFF, and organize all of it in the FIRST PLACE.

Those crooked banskters should be forced to pay her TEN MILLION and then shut their doors for good as far as I'm concerned.

This was a CRIME that someone should be going to PRISON FOR... They STOLE SOMEONE'S HOUSE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!

If you broke into someone's house just to steal a TV you would go to PRISON if you were caught. These crooked scumbags STOLE SOMEONE'S ENTIRE HOUSE.

Just my humble opinion but this country is way beyond repair at this point. This place is beat. Total lost cause at this point.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »
The banksters need to cough up 1,000,000 because it needs to be a DETERRENT against them ever doing something like that again.

This IS NOT a "oh, my bad" kind of a situation. I can't even believe people would argue against that on this forum.

How many of YOU would react in an "oh please just replace my stuff you threw away" when a bunch of dirty scumbag banksters and their cronies MARCHED INTO YOUR HOME — gave away, or sold all of your preps, took your family heirlooms and tossed them in the trash, destroyed all of your paper records, projects you may have been working on, etc...

What about all of your FIREARMS that fell into someone else's hands, or in the hands of the police to DESTROY them — or MAYBE someone goes out and commits a crime with YOUR GUN.

Think about how hard it is just to MOVE INTO a house and UNPACK YOUR STUFF, and organize all of it in the FIRST PLACE.

Those crooked banskters should be forced to pay her TEN MILLION and then shut their doors for good as far as I'm concerned.

This was a CRIME that someone should be going to PRISON FOR... They STOLE SOMEONE'S HOUSE FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!

If you broke into someone's house just to steal a TV you would go to PRISON if you were caught. These crooked scumbags STOLE SOMEONE'S ENTIRE HOUSE.

Just my humble opinion but this country is way beyond repair at this point. This place is beat. Total lost cause at this point.

+1 Adam, That was the point that I was making without trying to come unglued.  ;D
People, these banksters are the ones that got us into this economic mess. They are also the legacy of the crooks that created the creature from Jekyll Island, aka the Fed! They should be punished like this for the simplest bank error! I’m sorry but they stole around 96% of the USD value! It’s time to steal it back!

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
I am not as mad in person as I text — but STILL...

If I went into your house, sold everything you own, and threw away everything else... Even if I GAVE YOU YOUR HOUSE BACK — I would be sitting in a jail cell right now.

But it’s just an "ooops, sorry!" when the BANKSTERS DO IT?

There was a time in this country when those banksters would have been shot.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:45 PM »
There was a time in this country when those banksters would have been shot.

...and that time may yet come again in this country! At least I hope.  :-\

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 01:15:48 PM »
i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. i believe they should pay, and severely, but i don't think she deserves millions of dollars for this. if you came into my home: absolutely i would expect you to pay. and i hope the bank does. but i'm not going to try and sue you for millions of dollars if the replacement value is only 50k. i don't think that's right. like i said, i'd rather sue you for millions and have you upgrade aspects of the community that need it because i can take care of myself. (maybe i can say that because it hasn't happened to me?)

i may get flamed for this, but IMO you guys are advocating something that i would call 'litigious welfare'. she want's 18k, i'm fine with that, and then double that for punitive damages, and then make the bank pay as i've suggested. if instead we say she should get millions or tens of millions so she can be set for life... well...

by doing that you continue to set the example of: i am suing you for a ridiculous amount of money because i was wronged and you're going to pay and i'm going to live the high life.

if we take care of the victim in a reasonable manner (and yes 'reasonable' is subjective) and then still punish the bank we set a precedent for righting things for the victim as much and reasonably as possible while still sending the message than banks/establishments will be held accountable to a severe degree for their negligence.

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. i believe they should pay, and severely, but i don't think she deserves millions of dollars for this. if you came into my home: absolutely i would expect you to pay. and i hope the bank does. but i'm not going to try and sue you for millions of dollars if the replacement value is only 50k. i don't think that's right. like i said, i'd rather sue you for millions and have you upgrade aspects of the community that need it because i can take care of myself. (maybe i can say that because it hasn't happened to me?)

i may get flamed for this, but IMO you guys are advocating something that i would call 'litigious welfare'. she want's 18k, i'm fine with that, and then double that for punitive damages, and then make the bank pay as i've suggested. if instead we say she should get millions or tens of millions so she can be set for life... well...

by doing that you continue to set the example of: i am suing you for a ridiculous amount of money because i was wronged and you're going to pay and i'm going to live the high life.

if we take care of the victim in a reasonable manner (and yes 'reasonable' is subjective) and then still punish the bank we set a precedent for righting things for the victim as much and reasonably as possible while still sending the message than banks/establishments will be held accountable to a severe degree for their negligence.
So a total of $54k to punish a bank? They would not even blink twice. Slap a couple of million on them and that will change their tune. “Litigious welfare”? Maybe I would agree with that if the banks did not steal real wealth from Americans through “Inflation tax”! It’s time to bring these corrupt banks down once and for all!

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2013, 01:47:30 PM »
They did this to me, and I'd be asking for a hell of a lot more money,

In addition to my stuff, which I'd estimate at $120,000 or so replacement cost, I'd track every second I spent dealing with this. I charge my clients $125/hr, so I would expect no less.

I don't think punitive damages should go to the person. Punitive damages are designed to punish, and not compensate, so their is no reason for it to go to the plaintiff. I think punitive damages should go to charity... or even gasp, the state or local government. That said, 1 million is a good starting point, since this is a bank and I hate banks. If it is a large bank, 100 million. This kind of shit has to stop, and 18,000 is not going to get them to stop.

Something that takes money from the shareholders, and gets them to take some action is required.

18,000 dollars wouldn't even begin to compensate me for my time in dealing with this shit.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »

I have to agree.  It drives me nuts living in a lawsuit-happy society when all you're really entitled to in civil matters is reparation for any damages.  Beyond that it's punishment, not compensation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have any problem with anyone connected to this "mistake" charged in a criminal court - breaking and entering, trespass, burglary, maybe even some collusion - and doling out a little jail time.

Slap a bank on the hand financially and they won't even blink, I don't care the amount.  I worked for a monopoly and we even had wrongful death lawsuits.  It didn't phase them.  But toss a few guys in a cell with Lonely Bubba and they start to pay attention.  I don't care if it is Club Fed, it's not their home, they can't drive their car, they won't see their loved ones very often, and they won't like it.