Author Topic: Bank wants receipts before reimbursing woman  (Read 10628 times)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
Re: Bank wants receipts before reimbursing woman
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2013, 02:23:59 PM »
I have to agree.  It drives me nuts living in a lawsuit-happy society when all you're really entitled to in civil matters is reparation for any damages.  Beyond that it's punishment, not compensation.

On the other hand, I wouldn't have any problem with anyone connected to this "mistake" charged in a criminal court - breaking and entering, trespass, burglary, maybe even some collusion - and doling out a little jail time.

Slap a bank on the hand financially and they won't even blink, I don't care the amount.  I worked for a monopoly and we even had wrongful death lawsuits.  It didn't phase them.  But toss a few guys in a cell with Lonely Bubba and they start to pay attention.  I don't care if it is Club Fed, it's not their home, they can't drive their car, they won't see their loved ones very often, and they won't like it.

I agree, and I also think the victim should get some of the punitive damages (not millions, but thousands) as compensation for the hassle, the humiliation, and the time spent shopping and replacing everything she owned. (And probably her children's therapy bills -can you imagine how traumatizing this would be to a young child?)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »
So a total of $54k to punish a bank? They would not even blink twice. Slap a couple of million on them and that will change their tune. “Litigious welfare”? Maybe I would agree with that if the banks did not steal real wealth from Americans through “Inflation tax”! It’s time to bring these corrupt banks down once and for all!

did you even read what i wrote?

i said 54k to the woman, and still fine the bank for a million, or more, or whatever number makes you happy or works. but the woman doesn't need, or frankly deserve, to get the fine for punitive damages. the punitive damages should go to local organizations that are non-profits, or to schools, or to whatever else needs some money to get things done for the betterment of the community. we make criminals do community service, why shouldn't the bank?

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
i guess we'll have to agree to disagree. i believe they should pay, and severely, but i don't think she deserves millions of dollars for this. if you came into my home: absolutely i would expect you to pay. and i hope the bank does. but i'm not going to try and sue you for millions of dollars if the replacement value is only 50k. i don't think that's right. like i said, i'd rather sue you for millions and have you upgrade aspects of the community that need it because i can take care of myself. (maybe i can say that because it hasn't happened to me?)

I wouldn't go so far as to FLAME you LOL...

I think we all hate the banksters here. I am just as mad about how some lady got $2 million for spilling hot coffee on her lap at McDonald's — even though much, MUCH later I did see the documentary about this and WOW, she really did get burned really bad.

I don't like living in a lawsuit happy society — but I still think the banksters need to be tought a serious lesson or simply put out of business over something like that. And yeah, jail time is much worse for a bankster who makes up money out of thin air to lend at profit than any financial penalty. They would just find a way to make up the money out of thin air to pay the bill and move on!

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
On the other hand, I wouldn't have any problem with anyone connected to this "mistake" charged in a criminal court - breaking and entering, trespass, burglary, maybe even some collusion - and doling out a little jail time.

Slap a bank on the hand financially and they won't even blink, I don't care the amount.  I worked for a monopoly and we even had wrongful death lawsuits.  It didn't phase them.  But toss a few guys in a cell with Lonely Bubba and they start to pay attention.  I don't care if it is Club Fed, it's not their home, they can't drive their car, they won't see their loved ones very often, and they won't like it.

I totally agree.  Money means nothing to corporations, but personal liability for officers is a whole 'nuther matter.  Sounds like a winner of an idea. 

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 07:49:14 AM »
That's why the "Corporation" is a person in the eyes of the law. The officers get to murder, steal, bribe, and do whatever they want in the name of profit and the COMPANY pays the price if they get caught (and it is tax-deductable cost of doing business which gets passed along to the consumer).

Those banksters who stole that woman's house won't get punished and they will get their bonuses.