Author Topic: Old Survival Magazines...  (Read 11281 times)

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
Old Survival Magazines...
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:21:34 PM »
I grew up with my dad collecting survival/preparedness magazines in the early 1980s and always enjoyed reading them despite the rather dystopian future they projected.  In fact, when I was four we moved to Southern Oregon, in part because that was the place that all the survival experts thought was the safest place in case of a nuclear war.  This past year my dad decided to give me all his old magazines and I've been enjoying rereading all these old mags and reminiscing.  I've also found they have a lot of great information, albeit dated in some cases, and was curious if anyone else on this board was familiar with mags like American Survival Guide, Survival, SWAT (Survival Weapons and Tactics) and other similar publications? 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 09:23:51 PM by whatzhizname »

Billy McKay

Re: Old Survival Magazines...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »
I still have all of the Survive! magazines, which were a short lived offshoot of Soldier of Fortune. I'll flip through them every so often. Some of the articles are pretty good, but mostly they were drivel. The ads are the best. I wish somebody was still selling those Mk19 full auto BB guns.

Offline union hill

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »
Was that the BB gun that used a can of auto AC refrigerant as propellant?  I remember those - talk about environmentally incorrect!

Billy McKay

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 05:05:59 PM »
that's the one!

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:37:01 PM »
I've seen a lot of adds for those funny little high-capacity BB guns.  I wondered how they worked.  And you're right, "SURVIVE!" was the name of the magazine I was referring to, no "Survival" and it seemed very similar to Soldier of Fortune which makes sense now.  They had some really cool pictures on the front of various survival scenarios and painted vivid pictures to my young imagination at the time.  I'm glad to see some other people know what I'm referring to, even if they were more geared to Cold War sensibilities than the modern era. :)

Billy McKay

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:56 AM »
http://jerrypournelle.com/reports/jerryp/Survive1.html

if I get the time over the weekend I'll scan a few samples from Survive - just for laughs

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:01:05 PM »
I use to have several copies of 'American Survival Guide' and "Survive!" stored away in an old house on our property we used for storage. No ones has been in the old place for years until I noticed a hole the size of a loaf of bread on the roof facing away from general view. Rain had gotten in and dropped the old sheet rock ceiling and water damaged everything stored there including all the old mags. I wanted to cry....lol Oh well...  8)

Offline Puukko56

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 02:10:09 PM »
I too have many of the American Survival Guide and Survive Mags. I store mine in  plastic bins. I believe Survive mag had a two part article on how to make black powder that was very good. Seems all of these mags become mostly advertisements. There was at least one "nugget" in every one, enough to keep me buying.

Offline AGreyMan

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »
I have an almost complete collection of the old "Survive" magazines. Missing a few, though. IIRC, they were bought or at least brought more firmly under SOF's control near the end of the magazine's life. I always find something new everytime I page through them. For instance, the "Strike Anywhere Ammo" article where a guy details reloading with match heads is a classic.

Parenthetically, I kind of feel that the 80's bred the real hard-core survivalists: "Survive" and "American Survival Guide" were filled with articles about NBC survival, surviving Soviet occupation, etc. Compare that with a recent post on another survival board asking about nuclear survival: Nine out of ten posters responded with some variation of "put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye." Not hard core.

Anway, also recall the short-lived magazine from the early 90's called "Practical Survival." Pretty good mag.  I wish I could find some of the old issues of the "Practical Survivalist Newsletter" and "Survival Tommorrow" newsletter. I would gladly trad scans of "Survive" for scans of those.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
    • Tactical Woodgas - run your generator on scrap wood
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 09:50:57 AM »
I've seen a lot of adds for those funny little high-capacity BB guns.  I wondered how they worked. 

They were nothing more than a plastic box with two holes and a valve.  You can make one with a paintball co2 tank and plumbing supplies.  The only engineering requirements are that gravity causes the BB's to collect over the point where you inject the co2, and it needs an internal barrel (not just a hole).

The injected co2 pressurizes the gun and sprays BB's up near the barrel entrance.  Some of the BB's are close enough to get sucked into the barrel with the escaping co2, speed up, and fly out the barrel at a reasonable speed.  You can get fancy with the shape of the barrel entrance to improve it's ability to capture bb's, providing a better rate of fire.

UnderTheRadar

Billy McKay

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
Scans

-------------

1 - Covers.

2- Knife comparison.

3- Pistol caliber carbine comparison.

4- various articles

5- Keeping the customers motivated.

6- Sea weed powder.

8- Microfiche device.

9- Not illegal, but a questionable idea.

9a- Article about pistol caliber rifles.

10- classifieds and small ads.

11- the M19A BB gun.

12-14 Lots of gun and gun gear ads in Survive.

15- Lile survival knife ad.

16- Mad Max 2 came out two years before this.

17 - Glossary of back issues up to 84.

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »
Very cool!  I would love to see more (unless it takes up huge amounts of bandwidth for the forum).  If I could get my scanner working I'd be willing to post some scans of some of the better articles in the dozens of issues I have provided it doesn't stir up any copyright problems.  :)

Billy McKay

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 07:48:18 PM »
Very cool!  I would love to see more (unless it takes up huge amounts of bandwidth for the forum).  If I could get my scanner working I'd be willing to post some scans of some of the better articles in the dozens of issues I have provided it doesn't stir up any copyright problems.  :)

there shouldn't be any problems on either front

Offline whatzhizname

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 02:48:31 PM »
I came back to this thread to take a closer look and all the pics are gone.  Any idea what happened to them? :)

Offline Bob

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
Maybe we can do some trades here.   I need October 1985, November 1985 and June 1986, to finish my American Survival Guide collection.  I also need a few Survive, and almost all Survival Weapons and Tactics.  I have duplicates to trade or good deals can be made.

smkymtn

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »
 Try to get a hold of the old FOXFIRE books.

Michael Masse

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2009, 02:08:05 PM »
I've always loved any kind of media that dealt with the great outdoors, going back to when I was a kid.

One of the most enjoyable was the "Alaska" magazine.  I had a 7th grade study hall teacher who had old copies of it and I would read them cover to cover.   Then my brother worked with someone who had a subscription and he would give them to my brother so pass them on to me.  Learned so much about survival and the hard work and skill needed to make it.  My parents bought some wooded acreage in New Hampshire when I was a teenager so I would spend time in the woods and fish the creeks.  So enjoyed it that I turned 18 an headed to Alaska for a couple years to go see for real what I had been reading about.

Magazines are powerful thing.

Offline tc556guy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
Maybe we can do some trades here.   I need October 1985, November 1985 and June 1986, to finish my American Survival Guide collection.  I also need a few Survive, and almost all Survival Weapons and Tactics.  I have duplicates to trade or good deals can be made.

If you're still around the forum, I am cleaning house of 20 years worth of accumulated gun magazines ( primarily). SWAT wasn't one of my primary thinsg to read, but I have 20 or 30 issues I'll be tossing out if someone doesn't take them.

I'm also scanning in my old copies of ASG and have some continuity gaps and am looking for someone who can loan me early editions or the later editions I missed so that i can scan them in.

If anyone elese reading collects Guns or American Handgunner or Guns & Weapons for LE, I have a bunch of issues of those that are headed to the recycling bin if no one wants them.

Offline militia

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »
I'm looking for Survival magazine back-issue "Survivalist#8 Martial-law from a few years ago.
I want it  in regular print I saw it on Amazon, but only digital.
I called, the company website, but it was sold, out a few years ago.
I think it was, from 2012.
I hope some boody still has it in reagular print I'd love to buy it.
Thanks Dave-Fisherman.-N.Y.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »
     I too have most of those magazines from that era. There seems to be a resurgence of similar publications. I know ASG is back in print. As much as I try to resist, I usually buy every one each month. Some are better than others. The problem with most is that there seems to be a repetition of "skills" articles (and sometimes few of those). How many articles on how to build a fire do you need? Most of the "new" articles are actually gear reviews and many of them are for the perfect $400 knife or the $300 flashlight; essentially advertising masquerading as feature articles Those on how to master Krav Maga in four pages or USMC sniping skills in six, crack me up. I'd love to go up against someone who learned their martial arts from a magazine.
     If I quite spending the $8 to $10 bucks per magazine per month, maybe I could afford a $400 knife? However, I'm addicted. Maybe it's just reading something that speaks to my interests in a positive, supportive way that makes me feel as though I'm not too far outside the box. Lord knows, it's hard enough to find others to talk with about preparedness and survival. Come to think about it, that's why I enjoy this forum so much. It's interactive and we all know where we're coming from. We sometimes agree to to disagree, but usually with respect.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
     I too have most of those magazines from that era. There seems to be a resurgence of similar publications. I know ASG is back in print. As much as I try to resist, I usually buy every one each month. Some are better than others. The problem with most is that there seems to be a repetition of "skills" articles (and sometimes few of those). How many articles on how to build a fire do you need? Most of the "new" articles are actually gear reviews and many of them are for the perfect $400 knife or the $300 flashlight; essentially advertising masquerading as feature articles Those on how to master Krav Maga in four pages or USMC sniping skills in six, crack me up. I'd love to go up against someone who learned their martial arts from a magazine.
     If I quite spending the $8 to $10 bucks per magazine per month, maybe I could afford a $400 knife? However, I'm addicted. Maybe it's just reading something that speaks to my interests in a positive, supportive way that makes me feel as though I'm not too far outside the box. Lord knows, it's hard enough to find others to talk with about preparedness and survival. Come to think about it, that's why I enjoy this forum so much. It's interactive and we all know where we're coming from. We sometimes agree to to disagree, but usually with respect.
I love firearms and survival periodicals, but I finally decided that I could get more value not buying them and spending the money on other things.  It has saved me a fair amount of money.

Offline LeavingNJ

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2018, 09:15:54 AM »
I used to pick these up at the local newsstand around 82-83 and on. I was 14 years old or so around that time. I see them listed on eBay especially ASG and Survive. I am hunting for one particular magazine, not sure which imprint it was but it had a comic strip in the back of it. All I remember is a warlord-type fellow sitting on a chair with 2 bald headed topless (I think) ladies flanking him. They were obviously suffering radiation poisoning or some such. Does anyone have any idea which mag I am thinking of. I have a feeling it was some cheap knockoff mag but no idea really.

I have found that SCRIBD is a good place to track down a lot of mags. You can read online or download. They have a reasonable subscription rate.

If I only saved all the things I am now looking for, I'd be a happier man.

Thanks!

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2018, 07:39:18 AM »
     I have a fair collection of microfiche survival "cards" from an outfit called Pocket Survival, P.O.Box 2010, Dallas, TX, 75221. They have long since gone out of business. The microfiche were about the size of a credit card and each had about 40 pages of some survival book. They even had ASG from Jan. '83 to Dec. '84 and Survival Guide from Sept. '79 to Dec. '82. Other titles included "Life After Doomsday", "Tappan on Survival", "Ship's Medicine Chest", "A Barefoot Doctor's Manual", "Air Force Survival Manual", and dozens more. They could be read with a credit card size folding magnifier/card holder that you just held up to a light. There was also a "deluxe" hand held reader with a better lense, but larger.
     I was able to get a microfilm business to make copies of the most relevant books and I have them in all of my small survival kits, along with readers. This was about the time I was reading "Lucifer's Hammer" and one of the characters in that classic book put reference materials and books in plastic bags and then into his underground cesspool (I think). His goal was to preserve some of the knowledge that might help to rebuild civilization. "Knowledge is power" and I thought it would be good to have a library of skills that would be small and portable. Nobody had computers back then.
     So I have a pretty complete library of survival reference of about 50 various titles that are about the size of a large deck of cards. I wish I had bought more titles at the time. I wouldn't want to read a novel in this tiny format, but the microfiche is unfaded, sealed in archival sleeves and in a waterproof container about the size of a paperback. Does anyone remember these cards, this company or any current source of this type of item? I also like the fact that they are EMP proof (of course we didn't know about that back then.