Author Topic: Detroit City hunter  (Read 2909 times)

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • You can't save all the starfish.
Detroit City hunter
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:14:04 AM »
Detroit - When selecting the best raccoon carcass for the special holiday roast, both the connoisseur and the curious should remember this simple guideline: Look for the paw.

"The paw is old school," says Glemie Dean Beasley, a Detroit raccoon hunter and meat salesman. "It lets the customers know it's not a cat or dog."

Beasley, a 69-year-old retired truck driver who modestly refers to himself as the Coon Man, supplements his Social Security check with the sale of raccoon carcasses that go for as much $12 and can serve up to four. The pelts, too, are good for coats and hats and fetch up to $10 a hide.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090402/METRO08/904020395/To+urban+hunter++next+meal+is+scampering+by

You really have to watch the video. If ever I have seen a real American this man is the epitome of it. Defiant in the face of adversity and prospering where others are failing.

(H/T: Sebastion http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2009/04/02/civilization-in-detroit-at-an-end/)

Offline cougar

• Survivor
Re: Detroit City hunter
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:48:36 AM »
I saw the article earlier and my first thought was, here is a survivalist!
It is interesting how he is living in the inner city using skills from the rural south.  Reminds me of Thomas Sowells argument in his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" that much of inner city culture is an expansion from southern redneck culture.  Man, if the inner city folks and we rural hillbillies got on the same page the established political order would be in a heap of trouble!

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »
I saw the article earlier and my first thought was, here is a survivalist!
It is interesting how he is living in the inner city using skills from the rural south.  Reminds me of Thomas Sowells argument in his book "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" that much of inner city culture is an expansion from southern redneck culture.  Man, if the inner city folks and we rural hillbillies got on the same page the established political order would be in a heap of trouble!
May I recommend The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats by Jim Goad?

Offline Jimbo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:52:16 AM »
The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats by Jim Goad?

JokersWild, Goad is a heap of fun! I lurk on his Netjerk lounge. Some Netjerk posted something along these lines concerning the coon man: "He'll be doing allright when the economy collapses and metrosexuals are having slap fights with their man purses over the last faggacino latte."

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »
The Redneck Manifesto: How Hillbillies, Hicks, and White Trash Became America's Scapegoats by Jim Goad?

JokersWild, Goad is a heap of fun! I lurk on his Netjerk lounge. Some Netjerk posted something along these lines concerning the coon man: "He'll be doing allright when the economy collapses and metrosexuals are having slap fights with their man purses over the last faggacino latte."
Yes sir that would be one and the same. I can't remember exactly how I came across Mr. Goad but when I read him I knew I liked him.

I've put "Country Boy Can Survive" in my iPod rotation as of late to get myself back into my redneck groove. ;)