Author Topic: What medicines to keep on hand?  (Read 5815 times)

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
What medicines to keep on hand?
« on: April 03, 2009, 07:51:15 PM »
A question for the medically trained members on the forum.

Aside from prescriptions for special needs, what would be some good meds to keep on hand for travel to remote areas or for an extended emergency?
A medic friend suggested Ibuprofen, Immodium, Benadryl, Hydrocodone 5mg, a broad spectrum antibiotic such as  Levaquin or Cipro and Epi pens as being able to cover a broad variety of common maladies. Does this sound reasonable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
Re: What medicines to keep on hand?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:47:15 PM »
My grandmother keeps Horse Liniment and Cator Oil.   - I don't sugest these to anyone!!

Seriously, though, we keep all the same stuff, also some Calamine Lotion, Visine or Saline, and Vodka - you never know when you might need to make a good tincture, or just take the edge off!

Billy McKay

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:45:07 PM »
Epinephrine is a controlled drug, and can be quite dangerous if used outside of a physicians reccomendation. Unless you have a specific allergy to something it is not something to be played around with.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 11:48:13 PM by Billy McKay »

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »

Aside from prescriptions for special needs, what would be some good meds to keep on hand for travel to remote areas or for an extended emergency?
A medic friend suggested Ibuprofen, Immodium, Benadryl, Hydrocodone 5mg, a broad spectrum antibiotic such as  Levaquin or Cipro and Epi pens as being able to cover a broad variety of common maladies. Does this sound reasonable? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of those things don't come without a prescription, hydrocodone is a narcotic and some police will get a bit testy about it. I carried mine in a little metal tube (I have a prescription) and they threatened to arrest me because I didn't have the prescription with me. I volunteered to go and told them they would look like idiots, I even put my hands behind my back but they decided not to take me in.

Even antibiotics aren't handed out on every street corner. I would love to keep a supply on hand, especially since I swim and get ear infections when I travel, I can feel it coming on, but have to get to a doctor, get the prescription, get it filled. PITA, especially in a strange town.

I think you just need to be careful, drugs can be dangerous, a good thing to have would be a doctor. Maybe make friends with a doctor, teach him to shoot and prep and add him to your team.

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:30:31 AM »
If you have a standing recurring condition you can get some supplies. There are of course natural alternatives. So often in this day and age the focus is on fabricated commercial pharmaceuticals rather than their raw natural foundations or folk/historical medicine. Learning herbal alternatives, in my opinion, is just as important as stocking up on conventional allopathic medicine. That stated quietmike, here's what I think:
  • Clotting Issues: An anticoagulant such as warfarin sodium tablets would be nice but aspirin tablets (for ease of splitting) will serve. Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) is no joke.
  • Hypoglycemic Shock: Glucagon. Having oral glucose gel handy would also be good. This is of course if the patient is unconscious, if they are awake and able to swallow candy mints or glucose tablets will suit.
  • Asthma/COPD: A metered dose inhaler (MDI) containing albuterol sulfate. The new HFAs , such as ProAir HFA, are not as effective as the old CFC-containing MDIs so if you can get one of those that would be good.
  • Circulation Disorders: Nitrostat nitroglycerine for angina pectoris, congestive heart failure, and pulmonary hypertension.
  • Gastric Problems: Prilosec omeprazole would be nice. Antacid chalk is also nice for mild symptoms. Note omeprazole is the first line of defense in treating benign gastric ulcers and erosive esophagitis.
  • Stool Softener: Senna tablets work just fine in general. No need for Rx here.
  • Skeletal Muscle Pain: Actiq fentanyl is probably the heavy hitter (a pharmacist would know better than I), but any acetaminophen/oxycodone or hydrocodone pill can serve in this category. Know before you administer!
  • Inflammation: A good NSAID will do the trick, stay away from the steroids if you can but if you can't a glucocorticoid is what you want.
  • Surface Pain: Lidoderm lidocaine is what I swear by. Ideally get it in single use packs to avoid contamination.
  • Diphenhydramine: Needs its own category. It is anticholinergic (fever), antiemetic (puke), antihistamine (allergy), a miscellaneous anxiolytic (anxiety), a sedative and hypnotic. What's not to like? So pack plenty of Benadryl!

Also note that is is specifically for adults, if children are to be considered a couple of other drugs could be added, although this should carry you through. The Epi-Pen is good, better get the double (Twinject) though as anaphylaxis can require multiple doses. An antibiotic would be nice, like Cipro, but depending on the infection it can be as good as shouting into the wind. A lot of diseases require antibiotic administration at the first sign of infection, which if you have a limited supply of medicine and many people to treat you may not want to use it up on an uncertain case but elect to isolate the infected. Also QuikClot for when the bleeding doesn't stop, although it's not a drug you'd ingest. :) Hope this helps!

By the way chrisdfw you can make your own antibiotic ear drops (Mullein and Garlic Ear Drops or Herbal Ear Oil for example).

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:29:00 AM »
Sunscreen and AloVera are important to have on had as well although they may not really be considered medicine.

MightyRunt

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 09:00:59 AM »
I'd add an antiseptic/anesthetic benzocaine burn spray like Solarcaine or Foille.

James Yeager

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »

Your friend gave you good advice. Thank him for it. You will use the Ibuprofen, Immodium and Benadryl the most. You need to make sure if anyone in your group has allergic reactions to any of that stuff.

That is a good general list but to be more specific I would need to know how far away you will be from definitive medical care. That list can go on FOREVER so you need to narrow the scope.

Make sure any prescription medications are carried in thier original battles (if possible) to avoid being arrested by all the cops out in the remote areas or those doing drug searches in the midst of major emergencies.  ;)

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 10:27:34 AM »
Don't forget Dental.  Ambisol or clove oil.  I also stock up on 800mg Motrin.  

BP

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:15:16 AM »
I'd add an antiseptic/anesthetic benzocaine burn spray like Solarcaine or Foille.

And if you can get an Rx and test for sensitivity before hand...Silver Sulfadine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_sulfadiazine

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
Errata: I stated an anticholinergic as fever which is actually an antipyretic. An anticholinergic affects the parasympathetic nervous system. Sorry for the mixup. :)

HumeMan

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 03:01:50 PM »
Flexeril. 

Messing up your back without a way to fix it would make you useless to your family.