Author Topic: Comms  (Read 22821 times)

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
Re: Comms
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
Yup.

After I figger' things out, I'm going to rig up an external antenna and amp for the HT for use in the car.

jeremya

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
I have my Tech License, but I have yet to purchase a radio. I am leaning towards an HT for now. Any thoughts or suggestions?

-- Jeremy

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
I took my lead from IllicitDreams(on ZS).  He really likes the Yaesu's.  I know he has a mobile unit in his truck right now.  I don't think he has a HT yet though.  We talked a lot amongst ourselves (the Ohio ZS'ers) and decided on the VX-6R because of it's receive range and the fact that it's submersible.  The next step up from that one would be the VX-7R.  It's another $40 or so.  Universal radio has a really good deal going on those now.  ICOM has some really nice units as well.  They tend to be a little more expensive than the Yaesu's though.

Just how I picked mine.  I'm sure someone out there has a lot more experiance to draw on when it comes to HT's.

Offline Hellboy

• Prepper
  • Member Support Brigade
    • TheFreeMen.org
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
Here is my hand held rig as well as another toy I purchased myself when I passed my test:

And the Major award!

KJ4BXZ

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »
Which Yaesu is that?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 01:33:56 PM »
Tactical you would probably be wiser investing in a mobile for you car, instead of an amp for your handheld..If you get the right radio it can act as a repeater for your handheld..

Picture of my 440 repeater at my house...

Radios in my truck, Motorola is a SAR radio  155.805mhz...

GroundPounder

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 11:04:08 PM »
You might want to consider eXRS radios ,  for licence free  short range SECURE person to person & group comms these are really hard to beat
http://www.trisquare.us/

http://www.cutratebazaar.com/  has them at $70 a set w/ charger ect.

Nothing wrong with these but keep in mind when you go digital you cut your range significantly.  If you use encryption even less.  based on personal experience I have seen comms distance cut in almost half with digitally encrypted comms. 

Offline iron mike

• Prepper
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 04:50:37 AM »
You might want to consider eXRS radios ,  for licence free  short range SECURE person to person & group comms these are really hard to beat
http://www.trisquare.us/

http://www.cutratebazaar.com/  has them at $70 a set w/ charger ect.

Nothing wrong with these but keep in mind when you go digital you cut your range significantly.  If you use encryption even less.  based on personal experience I have seen comms distance cut in almost half with digitally encrypted comms. 

These freq hop much loke the singars radios did.   that's the security part.

As stated,  they're more for short range between members of a hunting party ect.  just think of them as secure replacements for FRS / GMRS

GroundPounder

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 07:09:08 AM »
Have you ever looked at the Garmin Rino?  It is GPS / Radio combo.  Not secure, but if you have a group with them it will show everyone's position on the GPS.  If you are familiar with APRS it is very similar. 

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 07:07:16 AM »
Tactical you would probably be wiser investing in a mobile for you car, instead of an amp for your handheld..If you get the right radio it can act as a repeater for your handheld..

How does that work?  Are you saying I can use the mobile unit to retransmit the HT signal?  So...as long as the HT can reach the mobile in the vehicle, the mobile will transmit at 25W or whatever a mobile unit is good for?

More info please.  I like the sound of this a lot.  I  can see using my HT a lot if I can set up a mobile unit as a repeater for it.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
You're talking Crossband Repeater aren't you?

See...I knew there was a reason I hang out in this forum.  I mean, other than goofing off at work...

Like this...Linkity link...right?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
You're talking Crossband Repeater aren't you?

See...I knew there was a reason I hang out in this forum.  I mean, other than goofing off at work...

Like this...Linkity link...right?
Yeppers exactly. Is your new handheld dual band? Plus with a mobile you'll really be able to get out there way more power than you could ever push through an HT. I got the Yaseu VX 170's which are 2 meter only, because the repeaters in my area are amazing. I do own a 440 repeater but I don't have any 440 radios other than the repeater yet...lol

I will eventually buy some dual band HT's and a new mobile to cross band repeat myself soon.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2008, 03:05:34 PM »
Dual Hell!!!  It's triple!!!  :o  :D

Offline deaconblue22

• Prepper
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2008, 06:04:13 AM »
Alright, I might sound like an idiot here, but if the stuff does hit the fan, is the need for a license really going to be an issue?  My train of thought is that I get mine, I know my wife won't get her license, I teach her how to use the stuff non-the-less, and when it hits the fan, she can use hers.  Any reason this wouldn't work? 

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2008, 09:24:23 AM »
Why won't the wife get hers? Work with her and tell her it's important to you. Both of you can study and take the test together. My wife went and got her's.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 10:56:31 PM »
I'm looking hard at getting started, especially as winter sets in.  Are the online practice tests worth using?  I see a few folks that did it that way.  Also, what is a good resource for the newbie HAM wannabe's? 

V/r BerserkerPrime

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 11:08:04 PM »
I'm looking hard at getting started, especially as winter sets in.  Are the online practice tests worth using?  I see a few folks that did it that way.  Also, what is a good resource for the newbie HAM wannabe's? 

V/r BerserkerPrime

We kinda hi jacked a thread ... Check this link to some previous posts and there is a online practice test link in it.  http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=1194.msg11810#msg11810

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »

V/r BerserkerPrime
First I would like to say good for you getting in to this. I started studying a few days ago after a little proding from Bailey and should be going for my technician license on the 10th. I have tried several of the online practice tests and I prefer the ones at http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl once you figure out how the controlls work you can skip questions and come back to it later and if you get one wrong you can try the other choices to find which answer was the right one. If you get one wrong and try other answers until you find the correct answer it will not change the score in your favor but you will at least know the answer in case you come across that question later in your studies.

For resources I have found the notes available from http://home.comcast.net/~misterpugsly/index.html to be very helpful. I printed them out, read through half of them and have already noticed an improvement in my test scores.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »

V/r BerserkerPrime

I went from nothing to general with online tests.  I took a weekend prep course for technician and found out about the online tests.  There are a couple websites.  Try a few and find the one you like.  I used HamTestsOnline.

Basically, there is a pool of questions for each license.  The questions and answers are widely available.  The test is just a subset of the pool.  I just kept taking online tests until I consistently scored 90% or better.

Pointers to improve your score:
1. The longest answer is frequently the correct answer.
2.  If you have a choice of A, B, C or all of the above, it is usually all of the above.
3. There is one question in the general license pool for which the correct answer on the word "aurora" in it.  No idea what the question was, but always pick the answer with "aurora."
4.  Emergencies have priority.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2008, 06:25:52 PM »
I'm starting the process now, and found that there are 2 great Ham Podcast shows that you can find in ITunes.  Will post them once I get on my 'real puter'. 

BP

blar

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »
If anyone near me (Nashville, TN) needs ham help let me know. I have been around the block a few times with everything from handhelds to HF digital and Sat operation.

-A

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2008, 07:15:19 PM »
I'm starting the process now, and found that there are 2 great Ham Podcast shows that you can find in ITunes.  Will post them once I get on my 'real puter'. 

BP
Post these up when you get a second BP.  I'd like to have a listen.

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »

BP

No problem DEV.  First is the http://www.hamradioclass.org/ ham radio podclass.  Kinda dry, by very informative.  http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=46028 is the other one.  It is Resonant Frequency.  Pretty good stuff.  Many hours of listening.  Enjoy.

Berserker Prime

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2008, 08:46:25 PM »

BP

No problem DEV.  First is the http://www.hamradioclass.org/ ham radio podclass.  Kinda dry, by very informative.  http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=46028 is the other one.  It is Resonant Frequency.  Pretty good stuff.  Many hours of listening.  Enjoy.

Berserker Prime
Cool!  Thanks much. ;)

Offline Masterherdsman

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
I am willing to help also.
and trust me it is not that hard.
KC5FSP

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )