Author Topic: Silver storage  (Read 1747 times)

Offline irishfan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Silver storage
« on: August 17, 2013, 07:58:48 PM »
I was wondering if you would lose much value by storing your silver eagles in a large mason jar or another container besides the mint tubes?  The reason I ask is I have bought most of my eagles a few at a time rather then by the tube and don't have the tubes.  Also, I keep my junk silver and other random stuff in a jar in the safe and wondered if storing the eagles the same way would hurt them in the long run?  The jar just sits in the safe so no bouncing around and didn't want to waste money on a bunch of individual containers for small rounds and bars that are oddballs that I have collected randomly since I started collecting silver. 

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Silver storage
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:45:05 PM »
Just for me, I use tubes because they store more compactly.

If you have a local shop you frequent, you might pick some up cheaply there. Over time, the place I use has given me several.

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Silver storage
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 09:47:41 PM »
I agree with TexDaddy, tubes are more compact and easy to store. Besides a coin shop, you can get them cheaply on eBay. Storing them in jars won't affect their price as "silver" but may make them less desirable to collectors. I have gone so far as taking the really nice Eagles I get and putting them in those individual cases as well. I have very few of those though, when I bought them I always would get a better deal on discolored or scratched coins and was buying them only for silver content.