Author Topic: Looking for a nice pair of jugs...  (Read 32978 times)

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
Looking for a nice pair of jugs...
« on: August 25, 2013, 04:00:51 PM »
...for hauling water when I go camping. :D Any suggestions are appreciated. I have seen a number of different styles and sizes, but overall they seem to fall into two categories:

• squat blue plastic <http://www.relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/78.html>, or
  • tall and narrow green plastic <http://www.relianceproducts.com/products/hydration/76.html>

My local army surplus store only has jugs by Reliance, does anybody have experience with this company?

I am also considering this product which was well rated: http://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Marine-04933-Scepter-5-Gallon/dp/B000MTI0GA/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

These will not be banging around in a truck bed, but I do worry about seam integrity. I'm considering keeping some extras filled for water storage too, so a tight seal to prevent evaporation would be nice.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Looking for a nice pair of jugs...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
I use an Igloo 7 gallon water jug like this one.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a replacement for it.  I've been toting this one around for 10 years or more.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 05:05:16 PM »
I saw these on Soldiersystems a cpl weeks ago, these have built in filters http://www.lifesaversystems.com/lifesaver-products/lifesaver-jerrycan

They have just opened a USA Shipper it's a UK Military supplier

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 09:41:28 PM »
I have a nice set of jugs.  ::)

These are Scepter 20 liter jugs, but they also come in a 10 liter version.

I have the 20's in tan.

~TG

Oh, to add... I also have that Reliant 7 gal blue cube.  It's good for camping because of the spigot, whereas the Scepter's are better for transport due to easy carry and much heavier duty construction.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:54:12 PM by TexasGirl »

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 11:18:57 PM »
i see i came to this thread with the wrong impression...

Offline RetiredUSMC

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 11:56:26 PM »
i see i came to this thread with the wrong impression...

ME TOO!

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 12:09:34 PM »
I have a nice set of jugs.  ::)

These are Scepter 20 liter jugs, but they also come in a 10 liter version.

Nice, they look like they are the same as these ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Liter-Heavy-Duty-Water-Container/dp/B001IV8IYA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1377540444&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Scepter+20+liter+jugs

I'm liking them, but I'd have to save up a bit to buy them.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:23:02 PM »
I have a pair of the same jugs that TexasGirl has. They are great except I have found that they can't be stacked or stored sideways. The seam is not strong enough for that. They will leak. My current favorite is the high flow haz-mat storage jug (mark yours as WATER ONLY).

http://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3512-Motorsport/dp/B003TTV972/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

Make sure to get the filler tube with it.
http://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3044-Deluxe/dp/B005G5R5LQ/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1377544532&sr=8-41&keywords=gas+can

Also, I want to try the WaterBricks but haven't gotten around to it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-Container-Gallon-Portable-Stackable/dp/B0053GVRWQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1377544271&sr=8-8&keywords=water+storage

Can you tell I like Amazon?

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-Container-Gallon-Portable-Stackable/dp/B0053GVRWQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1377544271&sr=8-8&keywords=water+storage

I hadn't thought of those actually. I guess I was stuck thinking that they offered small sizes and large quantities.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 01:57:07 PM »
7+ gallon jugs / 20 liter + jugs don't seem as manageable as 3 gallon in terms of weight etc.

I mean DDDs are fun to look at, but not so practical when it comes to carrying them around all day — right?

My personal preference for water is using empty 2 liter pop bottles because they never break, they are easy to manage, and I carry them 4 at a time inside of the square cat litter buckets with a carrying handle.

The bucket also serves as a wash-bin, and I carry scrubbers, dish soap etc with the water bottles).

Takes up the same space but gives you more options as a dedicated "water jug" — and 2 liter bottles are easy to find and wash out. I've got close to 50 gallons of stored water in 2 liter bottles in my basement on any given day.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 07:47:23 PM »
I have a pair of the same jugs that TexasGirl has. They are great except I have found that they can't be stacked or stored sideways. The seam is not strong enough for that. They will leak. My current favorite is the high flow haz-mat storage jug (mark yours as WATER ONLY).

http://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3512-Motorsport/dp/B003TTV972/ref=pd_sim_auto_1

Make sure to get the filler tube with it.
http://www.amazon.com/VP-Racing-Fuels-3044-Deluxe/dp/B005G5R5LQ/ref=sr_1_41?ie=UTF8&qid=1377544532&sr=8-41&keywords=gas+can

Can you tell I like Amazon?

Ummm...  I don't see where the hazmat jugs are safe for potable water.  The plastics might not be food grade, or they may not have used a food grade mold release agent.  I'm not big on lead tainted water. 

The jugs I've used are sound.  You can bounce them off a truck bed onto the pavement without bursting, and I've stood on them to reach something high (yeah, I know those are not OSHA approved activities.)

~TG

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 09:36:39 AM »
My personal preference for water is using empty 2 liter pop bottles because they never break, they are easy to manage, and I carry them 4 at a time inside of the square cat litter buckets with a carrying handle.

The bucket also serves as a wash-bin, and I carry scrubbers, dish soap etc with the water bottles).

Yeah, I was thinking of using milk crates, but a carrier that doubles as a wash tub might be nice.

EDIT: This might be interesting too: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=45283.0;topicseen

Ummm...  I don't see where the hazmat jugs are safe for potable water.

Yeah, I didn't see that either. Not a huge problem in an emergency, but not something I'd prefer if I know I'll be using them several times a year.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:46:34 AM by CTyler7 »

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 09:42:51 AM »
I use an Igloo 7 gallon water jug like this one.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate a replacement for it.  I've been toting this one around for 10 years or more.

Amazon

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 10:57:15 AM »
I've got one of the 7 gallon Reliance cubes.  My only problem with it has been that the fifth wheel plate in my truck bed popped a hole in it.  It's heavy - almost 60# when it's full, but I like the way the cap works.  The spigot is threaded into the cap, so you can reverse it and store the spigot inside the cube so can't be snapped off in transit.  Then you just unscrew it, reverse the cap and screw it back in for use.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 11:04:56 AM »
I have 6 of the following...
http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products-Jumbo-Tainer-Gallon-Container/dp/B000GKDFH4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_4

I would not recommend them. For storage they are ok but the spigot does leak a bit.

I bought them because K-Mart cleared them out for $2 each and I figured it was worth the risk.
7 Gallons is a bit heavy. I just keep them filled in my basement as an extra store of water.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 11:23:32 AM »
I would not recommend them. For storage they are ok but the spigot does leak a bit.

I remember reading posts by reviewers on Amazon who said that trimming off the flashing on the threads and spigots can stop the leaks, have you tried doing some trimming with a razor blade? I'd be curious if it helps.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:51 AM »
I remember reading posts by reviewers on Amazon who said that trimming off the flashing on the threads and spigots can stop the leaks, have you tried doing some trimming with a razor blade? I'd be curious if it helps.

I bought mine last year and haven't noticed a leakage problem.  However, I do turn the cube so the spigot is up when I'm not using it.  YMMV.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 12:23:00 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of using milk crates, but a carrier that doubles as a wash tub might be nice.

The plastic buckets I carry them in just happen to be sized so 4 2 liter bottles sit EXACTLY in place, with no play, or space for anything other than what you can slip in the middle (bottle brush / scrub brush) and in the area near the top of the bucket. It was one of those lucky finds I suppose.

7 Gallons is a bit heavy. I just keep them filled in my basement as an extra store of water.

The reason I use 2 liter bottles was because I used to have a water cooler for the 5-gallon jugs. I used to HATE carrying those jugs around — especially since I would return and exchange them 10 at a time. I hated just carrying one up from the basement to load onto the cooler — and could not imagine carrying them around on camp trips.

I was going to get a spigot system for them to bring camping (along with re-usable caps etc) — and just got rid of the whole setup, cooler and all once I started filling 2 liter bottles with my Berkey filter.

Just a thought — have you tried using thread tape on them to keep the threads from leaking? Probably more of a pain than it is worth, but there might me some sort of solution there.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 07:14:44 AM »
I haven't had an issue with the cap leaking. Just when I have had the spigot on in the "pour" position and not the storage position.
I haven't taken the time to check for burrs, now I will, since it hasn't been much of an issue as I have been using them for bulk storage and when I do use the water it's to water plants and such so I can rotate and I don't use the spigot.
One of these days I am going to look at a fix.

I also use 2 liter bottles for convenience and the price.

Offline ahmishwannabe

• Prepper
  • Learning Every Day
    • The Honest Egg Farm
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 10:05:55 AM »
how are there not more jokes in response to this thread? You guys are way too mature for me.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2013, 10:14:57 AM »
how are there not more jokes in response to this thread? You guys are way too mature for me.

You may notice that a fair number of the ladies on this forum are also firearm friendly. Mature may not be the word...   8)

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2013, 05:21:51 PM »
You may notice that a fair number of the ladies on this forum are also firearm friendly. Mature may not be the word...

<--  carries a Glock because a 50 BMG prints too much.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »

i tried, but no one bit, figured i'd let the sleeping dog lie.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 10:23:36 AM »

I dropped one in an earlier post of the thread...

Just so I am not accused of not contributing my share.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
Under more normal circumstances, I would milk it for all it's worth. But since I don't want to call down the wrath of the women on the board, I felt it was udderly ridiculous of me to joke about it.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 01:57:02 PM »
Now I’m eagerly anticipating a thread on how to grow large melons over on the gardening section...

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
Under more normal circumstances, I would milk it for all it's worth. But since I don't want to call down the wrath of the women on the board, I felt it was udderly ridiculous of me to joke about it.

The people in this community are the breast. They are very considerate about other peoples feelings on the forum.

How low have we sunk.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
The people in this community are the breast. They are very considerate about other peoples feelings on the forum.

How low have we sunk.

I think in this community we knead to get a feel for what is appropriate. Some of us just want to keep a breast of the relevant news, some of us want to find the pert-inent information for finding water containers, and others want to explore the bounds of proper humor.

Trying to fit that into one cup, or even two, is hard. Maybe that is why are Mods have so many sub forums. That way we each can nestle into a comfortable cushion with our fellows. It's kind of like walking into your favorite bra, you know who and what belongs in there and what is out of place.

Anyway, I guess my point(s) a-mounds to this: Knowing boundaries is important.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
+1 theswerd

Now I’m eagerly anticipating a thread on how to grow large melons over on the gardening section...

i should post some pictures as i have several large sets of melons in my garden right now. in fact they were so large that they started spilling out and now they're all over the place.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 04:51:11 PM »
i dont know whether to lock this thread or let it keep going....