Author Topic: Looking for a nice pair of jugs...  (Read 33302 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Looking for a nice pair of jugs...
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
hey, we're still SFW, and i have abstained from posting the relevant pictures that i found for uh... research...

so i would plead with you to not bust up the developmental progress we are making. this thread is on it's way to reaching a firmly developed and well grounded solution regarding the best way to handle large and cumbersome jugs. some have also suggested that smaller jugs are more desirable, and in that way we are making sure we are not discriminating against any jugs, regardless of size, shape, or color.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »
 :clap:

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 08:41:26 AM »
I am looking for a nice pair of jugs that don't leak if you freeze them.  These would be ideal upgrade for my freezer chest to cover short power outages. Also I can pull them out; toss them in a cooler for road trips.

For simple stuff I do keep a handful of those freezable blue cubes; very useful.  However; I am looking for something that is rugged; and dose double duty as in drinkable water.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2013, 09:22:02 AM »
I am looking for a nice pair of jugs that don't leak if you freeze them.  These would be ideal upgrade for my freezer chest to cover short power outages. Also I can pull them out; toss them in a cooler for road trips.

For simple stuff I do keep a handful of those freezable blue cubes; very useful.  However; I am looking for something that is rugged; and dose double duty as in drinkable water.

I keep a handful of the half liter drinking water bottles in the freezer for "grab and go" use.  These fit well in a small cooler.  The bottoms are typically indented which provides expansion space when frozen. Some bottles have been cycled dozens of times and none have failed.  Most are Ozarka brand, with the factory spring water still in them.  These are cheap, and drinkable in an emergency (once thawed of course).

~TG
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:29:15 AM by TexasGirl »

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2013, 10:29:34 AM »
so there we were, screaming along having a great time and usingas many innuendos and double meanings as we could and then:

guess the fun had to end sometime...  :'(

Offline riptide

• Prepper
  • Mutton-Labe!
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
Like Texas Girl, I keep a couple in the freezer to grab when wanted. They do get bumps when they are cold!  ;)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 10:05:36 AM »
Let's continue - searching out more valuable information on jugs...

I just blew out my old plastic pitcher doing the freeze; move to ice chest cycle...Which started my interest in some jugs that could be frozen.

While the smaller water bottles are nice when frozen over for smaller ice boxes I was hoping to find a set of jugs that were a few cups bigger.

I guess I could just go out and buy a case of water bottles and just freeze it up to help load up my freezer chest.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 11:38:28 AM »
Let's continue - searching out more valuable information on jugs...

I just blew out my old plastic pitcher doing the freeze; move to ice chest cycle...Which started my interest in some jugs that could be frozen.

While the smaller water bottles are nice when frozen over for smaller ice boxes I was hoping to find a set of jugs that were a few cups bigger.

I guess I could just go out and buy a case of water bottles and just freeze it up to help load up my freezer chest.
2 OR 3 Liter bottles should work well for this.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
2 OR 3 Liter bottles should work well for this.

The only problem - and it's a good one to have. I don't buy soda, and I buy very little bottled water.  So what I was looking for is some commercial jugs without having to spend all of my one dollar bills.

Most of my co-workers fall into the same group; no bulk soda...I prefer good old fashion ice tea.  For one shot usage; I have been using some of the larger plastic cubs I get from fast food. 

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
The only problem - and it's a good one to have. I don't buy soda, and I buy very little bottled water.  So what I was looking for is some commercial jugs without having to spend all of my one dollar bills.

Most of my co-workers fall into the same group; no bulk soda...I prefer good old fashion ice tea.  For one shot usage; I have been using some of the larger plastic cubs I get from fast food.

Well, if you just have to spend money, watch for one of those "99-cent 2-liter" soda specials, then dump the soda out.  At $1 each, they will still be cheaper than most empty commercial containers.

~TG

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Well, if you just have to spend money, watch for one of those "99-cent 2-liter" soda specials, then dump the soda out.  At $1 each, they will still be cheaper than most empty commercial containers.

~TG

very good point...

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »

~TG

Or have a nice September cookout with your neighbors/friends. Buy a bunch of 2 Liter Sodas and feed them to everyone else. Then keep the bottles.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
Or have a nice September cookout with your neighbors/friends. Buy a bunch of 2 Liter Sodas and feed them to everyone else. Then keep the bottles.

you are supposed to take care of your neighbours, not poison them ;)

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2013, 01:22:51 PM »

~TG

The Dollar Tree type stores usually carry the 3 liter bottles, but if the smaller ones are okay, you can find generic soda for as little as 55 cents per 2 liter with a coupon at a normal grocery store.

Based on my calculations, this option works pretty well, even if you just throw the soda away. Not counting what all that soda might do to your plumbing though :P

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2014, 12:26:23 PM »
If you can find some bottles of just seltzer, that wouldn't be poisoning anyone.  You can just get some nice fizzyness.  In fact, they're generally healthier to use for tonic based drinks than actual tonic water.

nkawtg

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:06 PM »
i see i came to this thread with the wrong impression...

So many times I see thread subjects and I just have to bite my tongue.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2014, 04:42:51 PM »

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 09:51:57 AM »
(Welcome...to the Cheap Side, young Luke!)

Okay, it's time to come out of the closet and admit I'm a little on the hyper-thrifty side.

I looked at water storage costs long ago, and decided I didn't want to pay more than the value of the water for the container it was stored in.

That was a real challenge, but I've solved it on several levels.

For camping, I dismissed commercial five gallon jugs because they were too heavy to handle easily, and very expensive.

Five years ago I proved by demonstration that re-using plastic milk jugs for water storage is harmless, as long as the milk was fresh at the time the jugs were thoroughly rinsed out.

(Note: Don't want to re-open that issue here--it's really a personal-choice thing.)

But plastic milk jugs are a little fragile, although they do have their uses when camping. 

For example: Why spend roughly $13.00 for one 5-gallon Super Solar Shower when 5 "free" one-gallon milk jugs tied up in a black plastic trash bag heat up just as well and are a LOT easier to handle, individually?  (Do the old shower nozzle with a flow valve trick, and your solar shower will cost you a total of about $2.00.)

And it's a lot harder to safely hang 35lbs seven feet in the air than 6lbs. I have found thru personal experience, BTW, that one gallon of hot water is quite adequate for a good shower, including when the ladies do their hair.

But, I digress.

The perfect camp jug, IMO, is free. It's a 1-gallon anti-freeze jug.

Yep: The same kind a lot of people use to carry extra radiator-water in their cars, just in case.

Anti-freeze jugs are super-sturdy, easy to carry, and (did I mention it?) free.

And, yes, anti-freeze is poisonous, so you shouldn't drink anti-freeze.

But it's also completely water soluble, so after about three simple rinses, there isn't any left in the jug.

(For the technically-minded out there, after exactly seven rinses, there will be not one molecule of antifreeze left in the jug. I learned that in kollige, 'way back when I studied radiation protection.)

And, of course, every subsequent shower constitutes another rinsing.

And, yes, you can safely use the well-rinsed jug for drinking water, as well as for shower water.

In fact, you can use them for holding almost any liquid, according to the needs of the moment. Just be consistent with your labeling, or use color-coded containers--anti-freeze jugs are available in a veritable rainbow of designer hues.

Zerex is available in tan or silver-grey, Prestone is good if you like bright yellow, or transparent. Peak is blue, and O'Reily brand is black or white. And Motorcraft is bright red. And let us not forget Everest brand, which is available is a truly bilious electric green.

I just wish somebody out there sold anti-freeze in a camo jug.

Or, better yet, gave them away for free.

endurance

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »

Happy now?

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »
I came to the camping forum to get ideas for our upcoming camping trip that will be our trip out of California for good.  I have to admit I picked this thread first because of the well played subject line.  I am not a Karma adding type person, but I felt this original thread plus TexasGirl's first response worthy of giving some Karma points.

This thread, besides the entertainment value it had, has gotten me thinking how I am going to store water on this trip coming up.

I am thinking 2 ltr sodas might be the best way, but a commercial alternative may also work.  Thanks for the posts and links!

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2014, 09:55:23 AM »
2 liter bottles + milk crates from the thrift store (usually $2-$4) = great way to carry water for camping. Milk crates are useful for lots of other stuff around the house too.

FarmerJim

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2014, 02:27:38 PM »
Can't go wrong with an unused Jerry Can. Almost unbreakable and get the job done!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2014, 07:12:53 AM »
Can't go wrong with an unused Jerry Can. Almost unbreakable and get the job done!

Just make sure you grab the correct one when trying for a late-night fireside shower.  :facepalm:

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2015, 07:44:57 PM »
OT    Do you have a coin. Heads or tails. Texas Girl I love your BMC prints to much.  My friend George carries a S&W 500 , 4" in winter.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 07:42:49 PM »

Also, I want to try the WaterBricks but haven't gotten around to it yet.
http://www.amazon.com/WaterBrick-Container-Gallon-Portable-Stackable/dp/B0053GVRWQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1377544271&sr=8-8&keywords=water+storage

Can you tell I like Amazon?

These water bricks are not too bad; they do stack, and they are easier to use than a 50 gal barrel.
Quite useful for the shorter term water issues most folks have.  only very small issue is the
handles can come off when you set the bricks down. - no big issue - takes seconds to put them
back on.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
These water bricks are not too bad; they do stack, and they are easier to use than a 50 gal barrel.
Quite useful for the shorter term water issues most folks have.  only very small issue is the
handles can come off when you set the bricks down. - no big issue - takes seconds to put them
back on.

I actually bought two of them. For storage, they work GREAT. However, getting the lids on and off and pouring is difficult. The shape of the container should be flat across with the lid protruding from the top, but they have the middle portion with the lid embedded.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2015, 06:27:11 PM »
  I was just thinking, someone said they were a "ice tea sort of guy". So why not buy some Trade Winds tea. The bottle is of heaver plastic. Made for food, and you can drink the tea. Should last for several uses. 

Offline FrostyNoobcicle

• Prepper
  • Party on!
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »
I really like these Nalgene canteens. I have used them on backpacking and canoeing multiple day excursions. I have had no problems with durability.
The best part in my opinion is they collapse very small when empty for packing out.

http://www.amazon.com/Nalgene-96-Ounce-Mouth-Canteen-Bottle/dp/B000BS0AR4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434505366&sr=8-1&keywords=nalgene+collapsible+canteen