Author Topic: Thoughts on a TSP Net Night!  (Read 2879 times)

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
Thoughts on a TSP Net Night!
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:28:48 PM »
I know we talked about it one time and ZELLO has taken up the coms for the non-HAMs. BUT should we talk about setting up a TSP Net night on 20/40 meters?

Stay Safe!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Thoughts on a TSP Net Night!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:49:49 PM »
Funny, Carl and I were just pm'ing each other about a Sunday 1pm 40m net.  I'm totally up for another one too some evening, just name a time and frequency.

Last winter the crew over at prepared ham tried... and tried... with minimal success on our (typically) 100w and low wire antennas.  But some of the regional stuff did work.  Before we jump in, take a minute and scroll through the related postings at http://www.preparedham.com/forums/announcements/on-air-roundtable/  Lots of fumbling around, but some good results.

Again, I am totally up for it.  Tuesdays are bad evenings for me, but any other time I'm good to go.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
If you don't know you equipment,How can you DEPEND on it in emergency?

Guy's ,this get together on 7250 + at 1 PM is not the BEST time for propagation ,but ,if done over time will provide an  excellent way to test radio's ,antennas and be more aware of your surroundings and capabilities. I believe 40 meter HF with NVIS antennas will provide a consistent link for our use and for antenna experiments even though 1 PM Sunday is not the most favorable for 40 meters ...it is great for testing of gear under less favorable conditions.

Alan and I have simple dipoles/inverted "V"s and this is what one can erect from "FOUND" wire and such during and after an emergency. "Factory" antennas are great ,but when an emergency occurs ...what would be left of you 'in the wind and elements' antenna? You should know how to build a replacement AND if a silver plated whiz-Bang is your choice,you shouls have ,at least,one spare.

I have been been there ,where all we had was wire from a dis-abled auto and plastic from old water bottles to make an antenna . It worked or I would not be here now.

YOUR SKILL is often more important than the gear you have available , though AMAZON may ,one day, have a drone deliver to your co-ordinates ...you often have only YOURSELF to depend on.This is why I like to build and use wire antennas...TO KNOW .

I actually designed my BIG STICK VHF/UHF antenna as a fool-proof project to promote HAM activity and gave the plans to everyone...after nearly 200 were built ( by me) and a very few by others ...I began to feel that after the storm I would have the bands mostly to myself locally.

There I go ,wandering again...1PM , 7250 + 3 if in use , each station answering the call from Alan ,will ,in turn,make a call to see who hears his station and who he can hear. This will mesh a web that will pass across the country like the 'wave' at a football stadium. For the test to a success,it must be used often so as to compare your capabilities over time and judge improvements.

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 01:11:27 PM »
I am in New Hampshire!  I have a G5VR antenna setup and I am using a a Kenwood TS-480. I was on HF last night for the first time and had some contacts right off the bat on 7.274 LSB. Very clear all the way down to Florida. It was around 830pm. Me being new to the HAM world I will follow the leader on this.

Stay Safe!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 02:15:51 PM »
I am in New Hampshire!  I have a G5VR antenna setup and I am using a a Kenwood TS-480. I was on HF last night for the first time and had some contacts right off the bat on 7.274 LSB. Very clear all the way down to Florida. It was around 830pm. Me being new to the HAM world I will follow the leader on this.

Stay Safe!

Quite normal for 40 meters in afternoon/evening. Just because NVIS is the topic of our research does not mean you should not be able to hear and participate with us.The HF signals will travel a good distance but are often at the mercy of propagation. Our NVIS testing will hopefully prove the more predictable capability of HF for medium range use...all HAMs are welcome to call in as this is to get acquainted with our gear and the mystery of RF.

I hope to get listener reports from non HAMs as well. I expect a slow start ,but posting of our successes and failures may be real benefit to others.

Sunday at 1 PM on 7250 ,if busy we will move up 3 khz to net clear spot.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 03:03:04 PM »
will try to be there as well

Offline nwbarter

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
Just learning but will try and tune in.

Cheers

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:37:54 PM »
I've got other commitments during the day this Sunday, but I do look forward to trying to connect with you fellows some other time. I just picked up a new dipole this afternoon and will be getting the mast tomorrow. Hopefully she'll set up well here and I'll be able to make contact down into the South. Anything from 40m up and I should be able to give it a try.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 03:51:17 PM »
More about TSP and NVIS antenna testing and a special UNDER GROUND ANTENNA TEST is in this thread.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=50979.0