Author Topic: Overlooked Preps for Ladies  (Read 20950 times)

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
Re: Overlooked Preps for Ladies
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »
If Carhardts don't fit you right, you might try 5.11s.  They make pants for women.  They fit better than most. 

Offline carolm

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:41 PM »
Feminine needs for long term disasters

Go-Girl/Lady J female urine diverter

Hygiene needs: Packaged/reusable sanitary napkins/Diva Cup/natural sponges/cleansing wipes/etc.

UTI products: Pyridium/powdered cranberry juice or pills/apple cider vinegar

Advil/Midol/Pamprin/Ibuprofen/acetaminophen

4x toilet paper

Privacy means (curtains/enclosures/screens/etc.)/personal space/personal closet or dresser

Sweats/loose clothing, large robes, large towels, various sizes plain underwear, sports bras

Pregnancy prevention supplies

Baby care supplies

Expedient shower methods: sun shower bags/MSR bag shower/pressure sprayer/campers propane shower

Body care products: razors/deodorant/hand lotion/face lotion/body lotion

Facial products: baby wipes (no fragrance/hypo-allergenic/for sensitive skin)/Pre-moistened facial cleansers

Hair care products: Non-lathering soap/shampoo/dry shampoo/baby powder/bentonite clay/brushes/combs/tie backs/bandannas/baseball caps, etc.

Lip care products: Chapstick, Lip balm, etc.

Nail care products: nail files/emery boards/etc.

Multiple hot water bottles

Any medical necessities for allergies, prescriptions, etc.

Comfort items: Additional coffee/Chocolate in several forms/salty snacks/soothing teas (chamomile, lavender, peppermint, etc.)

Anti-boredom materials: knitting/crochet/sewing/novels/movies/story teller/sketching tools

Strong lights and reading glasses

Everything set up for easy cleaning/rubber gloves/aprons/

Just my opinion.

looks a lot like my list.  Add bras, lots of bandanna, a ton of TP and wool clothing, an u basically got it. I would personally swap out the listed meds for essential oils, because I can't use the meds anymore.

Offline GudrunHrafn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Beyond Ragnarök
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
For feminine hygiene: cloth pads are a great option -- easy to make if you are the sewing-type, and several folks who sell them for folks that don't (http://www.naturallycozy.com/)

For sewing: Having a non-electric sewing machine is a great idea and they often can still be found. Probably the best resource for folks who want to actually USE a vintage/antique machine is the Treadle On community (http://www.treadleon.net/) - Knowing the difference between rotary and vibrating shuttle, whether or not the machine uses standard needle sizes, etc... makes a big difference when you're looking for a machine. Also certain models of vintage electric machines have the capacity to be switched to treadle power by only swapping out a few parts (usually the hand-wheel).

For making clothes: Patterns are great, but better yet is to learn the skills on what goes into clothing construction and fitting. That gives you the option of drafting your own patterns and how to start with a pattern and make it custom-fitted. This can be a better option even now, before its necessary, since you'd have the option to use better quality fabrics than commercial clothing manufacturers typically use.

Also, the small durable supplies like straight pins, safety pins, hand-sewing needles, machine needles, snaps, buttons, clothing hooks, etc... These are easy items to collect over time cheaply, they store small, easily divisible, and extras can become useful barter items.

Understanding how to make cosmetics can be a good skill as well. In a fast-collapse when people are still adjusting to the new paradigm (eg collapse of USSR, Argentina, Cuba's 'Special Period', etc..) such items can be big moral boosters, a comforting touch of normalcy and also a useful barter item. Knowing how to extend shelf-life of such oil based items with Vit E, certain essential oils and natural gums can also be important.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »

Understanding how to make cosmetics can be a good skill as well. In a fast-collapse when people are still adjusting to the new paradigm (eg collapse of USSR, Argentina, Cuba's 'Special Period', etc..) such items can be big moral boosters, a comforting touch of normalcy and also a useful barter item. Knowing how to extend shelf-life of such oil based items with Vit E, certain essential oils and natural gums can also be important.
or Learning how to live without it.
Right now I'm not using schampoo or conditioner when I wash my hair, only water and sometimes herbal rinses. Up until now my hair looks better than ever :D

Some can't only use water though but you can wash your hair with other stuff than schampoo or only water too like Birch leaves or eggs (I have no experiense with that though)

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »
Feminine needs for long term disasters

Go-Girl/Lady J female urine diverter

Hygiene needs: Packaged/reusable sanitary napkins/Diva Cup/natural sponges/cleansing wipes/etc.

UTI products: ...

Just my opinion.

Just like a guy: 1) WHAT is the problem?; 2) HERE is the solution.; 3) DO it.
It's ingrained in our genes - after 43 years, I still do it. And still get kvetched at for doing it.  :deadhorse:

soup

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 10:27:51 AM »
Some really good ideas in here, but there is one thought I just had and I didn't see it listed (although I may have missed it): 

OTC products for yeast infections

While not seriously life threatening, they can be mighty uncomfortable.

Another thought depending on your stage of life and who you are prepping for might be pregnancy tests. 

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2014, 02:37:44 AM »
Keep an extra month's supply of birth control, if you use it. You'll probably have to get it directly from the prescribing clinic as pharmacies will usually only give you one refill every 28 days.

skip a month every once and a while but keep refilling your prescription.
after a couple years you could easily have a three month supply. Just make sure to use a FIFO system to keep your stockpile fresher.

Offline GudrunHrafn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Beyond Ragnarök
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2014, 01:54:05 PM »
Some really good ideas in here, but there is one thought I just had and I didn't see it listed (although I may have missed it): 

OTC products for yeast infections

While not seriously life threatening, they can be mighty uncomfortable.

Okay, here's what I'd suggest. If caught early, a liberal application of a live active culture yogurt should clear it up and soothe the irritated tissue. If that doesn't do it, then Tea Tree Oil is an outstanding anti-fungal (yeast is technically a fungus). Tea tree oil can be applied to the skin without being diluted, but on tender tissue or broken skin it will sting like all get out. We consider a supply of Tea Tree Oil an essential household resource. These are only for surface type yeast infections -- if you get an internal one, you'll need to resort to other remedies and be aware that they can contribute to more significant infections of the bladder and kidneys. With both ideas, YMMV and should not be construed as medical advice -- these are suggestions for your own research.

Offline MyFreedom

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
Why not just tone your pelvic muscles and learn to pee like a man? I can do it ;)

Offline CoveredBridgeMeadows

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2018, 11:53:47 AM »
Rasperry leaf tea is a real life saver. It's stopped me from killing my PMS-ing 13 year old daughter. :D Okay, maybe I was PMSing too.

It seems to be the only thing other than really high levels of ibuprofen that even slows down my cramps, when they get bad.

Does anyone know if it is only Raspberry specifically or does black-raspberry and/or blackberry work also?  They are very closely related.