Author Topic: Women "EDC" clothes? (nice lookin)  (Read 14179 times)

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
Women "EDC" clothes? (nice lookin)
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
Well I'm not good at clothes actually but I try when I'm in town, or with Friends or family an so on to dress at least somewhat good enough so that people don't stare at least.

But Theres something I miss from when I'm just at home taking care of the animals, picking edible mushrooms in the forrest etc etc is that in my "home outside clothes" I always carry a knife, fire steel, a whistle and normally also a lighter and/or matches and repellants. And of course in mushroom season a mushroom knife.

I also Always have my boots with paracord, my shawl or cap, working gloves and/or real ones, a jacket (how good depends on how Cold it is), good sturdy pants with pockets and often wrist warmers.

But "normal" women clothes don't even have pockets! you can't even get a mini lighter in the small pockets that you might find if you're lucky and have a magnifying glass.

Any ideas? How do you do? (oh if it matters I'm 26 and Swedish)

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Women "EDC" clothes? (nice lookin)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 01:19:49 PM »
Not that women in Chicago should ever be considered "normal", but if recent fashion trends here are any indication, I would say that the concept of "purses" has pretty much morphed into some combination of EDC and BOB (carrying all the wrong stuff of course).

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
Well as I understand purses have Always been a "kind of EDC" as I understand (or my mother might been a "unknown prepper" but most women I know carrys like some first aid, lighter and other stuff)

But I'm more after how to find clothes that are practical and you can carry some e basic stuff in but still look "normal".

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 01:55:11 PM »
What's "normal" for where you are? In Alaska, women normally wear rubber rain boots, carhartt jeans and north face jackets everywhere, outside anchorage open carried fixed blade knives and pistols aren't common but are kinda "normal". I'm not a woman, but I carry a shoulder bag that has my pistol, knives and other survival type items I don't want to take through the sercurity checkpoint at my job (I work at an airport). The bag is normally always in my car if I'm away from the house. I try to wear the pistol as much as possible but my other job prevents that most of the week (cleaning up after dogs, you can't carry on private property in Alaska without permission from the landowner. Didn't say anything about pepper spray tho ;).

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
I know you are looking for clothing to carry things, but we have kind of touched on this here and here:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=40896.0
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=32823.0

kind of different focuses (focui? focii?) but there might be something there to help.  I should go back and reread them myself!

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 12:21:33 AM »
I know you are looking for clothing to carry things, but we have kind of touched on this here and here:
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=40896.0
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=32823.0

kind of different focuses (focui? focii?) but there might be something there to help.  I should go back and reread them myself!
oh well I didn't want to destroy those threads since guns aren't allowed here unless you're going out hunting (And I'm not a hunter).
If you have a reason to carry a knife (for example your going out fishing or going to eat dried reindeer meat) you can carry a knife but you can get into trouble if the police don't Think that's a good enough reason so I don't carry knifes into Town.

What's "normal" for where you are? In Alaska, women normally wear rubber rain boots, carhartt jeans and north face jackets everywhere, outside anchorage open carried fixed blade knives and pistols aren't common but are kinda "normal". I'm not a woman, but I carry a shoulder bag that has my pistol, knives and other survival type items I don't want to take through the sercurity checkpoint at my job (I work at an airport). The bag is normally always in my car if I'm away from the house. I try to wear the pistol as much as possible but my other job prevents that most of the week (cleaning up after dogs, you can't carry on private property in Alaska without permission from the landowner. Didn't say anything about pepper spray tho ;).
Well the hunter girls do that look here too but I'm not one of those and I couldn't pull that off at all.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 03:32:48 AM »
come to Think about it my mother made hidden pockets on my pants and skirts that I had on a school trip to the big city.
But Since girl clothes are so tight I don't Think it would work on the clothes I have now

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 08:29:14 AM »
Wow.  I just looked at what people are wearing in Stockholm these days and I can see your dilema!  Even the jeans are too tight to carry a knife and lighter.  My only suggestion would be to get yourself some kind of stylish bag or purse and carry your gear in that. 

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 01:27:42 PM »
Wow.  I just looked at what people are wearing in Stockholm these days and I can see your dilema!  Even the jeans are too tight to carry a knife and lighter.  My only suggestion would be to get yourself some kind of stylish bag or purse and carry your gear in that.
can't ,y rheumatism makes it impossible to wear "one shoulder bags"  :'(

But wait, isn't US a country with a lot of high fashion? (but then most of what I know of USA is from the TV so I cant be shore that it's correct)

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 06:56:24 PM »
But wait, isn't US a country with a lot of high fashion? (but then most of what I know of USA is from the TV so I cant be shore that it's correct)

USA might have one fashion, but Texas has completely different fashions.  LOL  Where I live it is all ranches and rugged terrain.  I wear 511s to work and jeans or Carharts the rest of the time.  Always boots to protect against rattlesnakes and scorpions.  Even my 3 year old neighbor has a little pair of pink cowgirl boots.  LOL

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »
I've decided that I'll just have to learn how to make clothes myself, my husband found a internet shop from the UK that have many cheap (but good) fabrics.

I know a Little from Before and I have many ideas, and the fist ones will be "wear at home clothes" until they start to look good.

If the many books I have on the subject and internet is too Little I can just ask my aunt who is really good at making clothes (she made my weddingdress for example)

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 03:39:39 AM »
Now I get it why you all are talking about weapons, EDC seems to mean a different thing in the US than here in Sweden.
I meant clothes that you can carry a lighter, some meds and other first aid and other things you might need in everyday emergency's big or small, not weapons.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
My wife simply finds a pretty small handbag that she likes that has a long adjustable sling and shortens the sling and wears it on her hips. it looks cool and can hold her keys, cigarettes, lighter, wallet and her iPhone. the best part is that if you try to snatch it they would end up dragging you with them so stealing is harder. She also wears in in front of her hip so is aware if anyone tries to pick pocket it.

It looks something like this but smaller.

Good luck.

Joe

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »
My wife simply finds a pretty small handbag that she likes that has a long adjustable sling and shortens the sling and wears it on her hips. it looks cool and can hold her keys, cigarettes, lighter, wallet and her iPhone. the best part is that if you try to snatch it they would end up dragging you with them so stealing is harder. She also wears in in front of her hip so is aware if anyone tries to pick pocket it.

It looks something like this but smaller.

Good luck.

Joe
cool, that would actually not hurt my shoulders and my husband works with leather (as a hobby but he is good) so he could make it for me  ;D
one of his handywork (not a bag but I Think he could do something like that)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »
cool, that would actually not hurt my shoulders and my husband works with leather (as a hobby but he is good) so he could make it for me  ;D
one of his handywork (not a bag but I Think he could do something like that)

Nice leather work. Does your husband have a website? I'd love something for some of my toys.

Joe

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 10:29:54 AM »
Nice leather work. Does your husband have a website? I'd love something for some of my toys.

Joe
well we have a blog where we write about what we do on our homestad http://mortangard.com/ that's all for now, that quiver (maby the wrong Word) is the first he's Selling though. all Before has been presents and so on.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 11:32:08 AM »
Drat and I left my Swedish translator at home.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 01:51:35 PM »
Drat and I left my Swedish translator at home.
well I Always have google translate nearby but where ever the blog is from they normally have alot of pics (thankfully), here's his other work http://mortangard.com/category/slojd/ and I Think theres going to be more soon, leather work is a Winter hobby of his, he don't have time in the summer with all else to do.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 07:21:16 AM »
Nice work. I got Google to translate it thanks.

Joe

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
What's "normal" for where you are? In Alaska, women normally wear rubber rain boots, carhartt jeans and north face jackets everywhere, outside anchorage open carried fixed blade knives and pistols aren't common but are kinda "normal".

When I was in Vegas they had giant Carhart billboards with scantily clad women in bikinis and thongs, wearing Carhart jackets (to keep warm at night in the desert I suppose)...

It's totally fine for a woman to wear a Carhart jacket over her bikini and thong.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2013, 12:36:40 PM »
When I was in Vegas they had giant Carhart billboards with scantily clad women in bikinis and thongs, wearing Carhart jackets (to keep warm at night in the desert I suppose)...

It's totally fine for a woman to wear a Carhart jacket over her bikini and thong.

I prefer bikini and trench coat. Very mysterious looking.

Joe

Offline Eagles mom

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
 I wear a suit to work at least three days a week. I clip my folding knife, I mean "letter opener" to my waist band and tuck my keys, including flashlight and whistle, into the other side of my waist band with my kubaton, I mean "pink key fob." It's just enough and not to much for walking around the building, and additional items are in my desk and purse. Skirted suits are actually easier, since any pockets in suits are for decoration only.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 05:47:28 AM »
this is a good look.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
I personally love the women's Carhartt pants. They're pricey, but I'm small and can't fit into the men's. I bought two pairs of the double-front dungarees when I got my job a couple years ago and I probably won't have to buy new ones for a decade at least. They are just so well made, and the pockets are HUGE! :excited:

I love them at home too for the garden, working on the car, or any other physically demanding/dirty task. I wouldn't recommend them for hiking as they're fairly heavy. They're not the most fashionable things on the planet, but they also provide excellent mobility, another common problem with women's clothes. I'm willing to trade looking a little man-ish for the ability to do my work confidently ;)

Offline SusanG

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
Here's another alternative for work/garden/homestead pants - Gramicci's - they're a little too baggy to be fashionable but they're very rugged.  I have some that I've been wearing since the 80s, and although frayed, they're still good.  Finally got three new pairs on sale.  The pockets are very deep, and the gusset in the crotch means they never bind while moving.  There are other sizes, colors, and lengths - this is just an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Gramicci-Womens-Original-Pant-31-Inch/dp/B00COJEXW6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_a_5