Photobucket

Author Topic: GridEx 2013  (Read 3452 times)

Offline RedBeard84

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
GridEx 2013
« on: September 17, 2013, 07:22:55 AM »
Just wondered everyone's thoughts on this up coming Gridex 2013. Just another reason to go over your preps I suppose.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: GridEx 2013
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
Just wondered everyone's thoughts on this up coming Gridex 2013. Just another reason to go over your preps I suppose.
Just my thoughts,..  had to do a search on what Gridex was,..  I never heard of it.  If it's what Google showed me,.. well just another day of working it out and getting on.  You should go over your preps and adjust accordingly at your own set interval.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline RedBeard84

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
From what I heard us, mexico and canada are planning a drill for the grid going down due to a emp or cyber attack. They say no actual power will be lost and its using 150 companies or so as part of the drill. I haven't really seen any specifics. Just thought it was interesting hearing about this on the news yesterday.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 11:39:04 AM »
Kudos to them for practicing and planning. 
It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »
It has been on the news for about a month or so now. If it does go live from a drill which many people are worried about, we will be ok here, although I might have to get that 1" plate steel and start canning meat on top of it if it lasts too long.

When I was in Canada we could have the power out for weeks as I was at the 3rd to last house to have power for a LONG LONG ways and so we were not high priority out there. It was no big deal to me as I had the woodstove which I cooked on most of the time and unless it was July, I could leave the freezers be. In fact I used to take the food in the fridge out to the porch to get cold and then put back into the fridge to 'warm up'.

Apparently here we can have the electric out for 2 weeks at a time as well, so we have been warned over that and have taken appropriate measures, although some day we will beef that up too. The only real problem is that Z works from home over computers, so he 'can't go to work' if it is down. We have had three brown outs in the last 4 months as well, which is almost worse than no electric at all. (If you have a brown out, turn everything off, and/or unplug it.. everything... or it can get ruined).

I am glad they are doing it, as long as it doesn't turn .... errrr.. weird. But how will they know what really works and what really doesn't work if they don't turn it off?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »
I'd be ok with a few days off line.  Although I'd like to not have to be really without power...  makes me kinda wish I could build a portable ice making truck for my local use.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
We have our own drills two or three times a year.  We go "off grid" and see how our preps stand up to real use.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 04:10:24 PM »
My thoughts on GridEx 2, at the Backwoods Engineer Blog:

Grid Down: What if the Drill was the Event?

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 06:46:41 PM »
My thoughts on GridEx 2, at the Backwoods Engineer Blog:

Grid Down: What if the Drill was the Event?

I don't think that the South is "unihabitable" without Air Conditioning as the article says.  I see that repeated all the time on forums.  Widepread AC has only been around since the 1950's.  People lived in the south and southwest long before that.  People here work outside all day long.  Ranchers are outside.  Roughnecks are outside.  We aren't all going to drop dead because the AC stops. 

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
I don't think that the South is "unihabitable" without Air Conditioning as the article says...
I agree, although, maybe we will be lucky and all of the Yankees will leave.  8)
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »
I agree, although, maybe we will be lucky and all of the Yankees will leave.  8)

(hefts beer in agreement) Toast!  :beer:

I swear, the only reason I run the AC in summer is to keep the books from rotting, tools from rusting, and kids from complaining.  I sleep sooo much better without it.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline RedBeard84

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 03:27:51 AM »
Yankee...someone has to work down here.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
I don't think that the South is "unihabitable" without Air Conditioning as the article says.

I'm baffled by statements that the south is uninhabitable without air conditioning. I've spent time all over the south at the height of summer, many times without air conditioning and at times doing heavy labor. Sure it can get uncomfortable, but give me a break. For a time I worked at a machine shop, housed in a metal building and painted dark brown. In the summer it got ridiculously hot in there and none of us ever fell over dead.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 06:10:48 PM »
I'm baffled by statements that the south is uninhabitable without air conditioning. I've spent time all over the south at the height of summer, many times without air conditioning and at times doing heavy labor. Sure it can get uncomfortable, but give me a break. For a time I worked at a machine shop, housed in a metal building and painted dark brown. In the summer it got ridiculously hot in there and none of us ever fell over dead.

Baffled?   Look, people, it's straightforward: not everybody can tolerate the heat as well as you can.

My point in the article was that there are those who will die in the South if the grid goes down, and they have no air conditioning.  Not even a fan.  Mainly the elderly and those in bad health.

Do you dispute that conclusion?  If so, I have statistics for those who died in France when their grid went down in the summer a few years ago.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 06:20:09 PM by backwoods_engineer »

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »
Elderly without A/C or those who cannot afford the electric bill die in the heat every year here. Yes, if not properly managed the heat can kill.

"...and lack of air conditioning, which makes the South habitable" is a gross overstatement.

My family has lived "in the south" since before the Revolutionary War and have lived in Texas since the late 1890s, when there was no A/C. The public schools I attended in Texas as a child were not air conditioned and it can get pretty hot by late May. The church my family attended was not air conditioned. All the women all dressed up and the men in suits and ties. Pretty hot in August, but we all just used little hand fans.

My Dad grew up on a farm and then, after the war, went to work in the oil patch. Outside everyday, all day, regardless of the weather, doing heavy manual labor. No A/C.

Yes, people die from the heat and people freeze to death. Exposure kills. A/C is very nice and I like it. It, however, is not required to support life.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2013, 09:34:17 PM »
Baffled?   Look, people, it's straightforward: not everybody can tolerate the heat as well as you can.

That article says that AC is what makes the South inhabitable and that an outage even in November will be devastating due to the heat.  AC is NOT what makes the South inhabitable.  People have lived here long before AC was around.  What got them was not the heat, it was the Comanches!  LOL  Secondly, it is not that hot in November, even in Texas we're talking 85degrees at most.  My town is full of ranchers and others in their 70's and 80's who work year round outside.

My point is that there is a prepper mantra that it is impossible to survive in the South and Southwest without AC.  It is simply not true. 

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:11 PM »
Before this whole thing slides too far afield, I want to throw in a few points to consider.

It takes about three weeks to acclimate to extreme heat.  At least, according to my doctor.  We were discussing exercising in the summer heat around here (south MS), how so many people have told me that I was putting myself in danger by doing so, and how I'd be fine with water and electrolytes so long as I was properly acclimated.  By exercising or working outside year-round, acclimation happens automatically and safely.  If you're tossed into a non-A/C world suddenly, it is a serious problem.

In a disaster, people who aren't acclimated to heat suffer doubly because there's usually heavy work to do.  For the physiological reason just given, but also because many aren't used to any sort of manual labor.  I saw this first-hand after Katrina.  And brother, there was plenty of manual labor and heat to go around.

You have to know how to deal with heat.  Hydration, how to dress, dealing with non-opening windows, etc.  Some years ago I was in Ottawa in August on a business trip, during a "heat wave" naturally.  I put that in quotes, because it was just normal south MS weather for my co-workers and me.  Still, every evening there were several heat-related deaths reported on the local news, all of them tragic and most of them preventable.  (But don't put me in Ottawa winter weather, I'd likely be dead PDQ too.  I am not looking down on Canadians here!)  Similarly, after Katrina I saw a lot of misery because people have lost a lot of hot weather coping know-how, and many newer houses just aren't set up to live in without A/C.

The elderly tend not to drink enough water, and are more sensitive to temperature problems.  Tragic, and they always seem to be hit the hardest in black-outs and heat waves.  Very young children too, but with proper adult care they seem to do a bit better.

Back on topic, I can see where even a short grid-down situation that exposes people to unaccustomed heat could have a stunning death toll, even on reasonably prepared rational folks.  Being able to deal with extreme heat is in its own way a serious prep item, every bit as serious as the familiar beans-bullets-bandaids list.  There is no substitute for acclimation, which comes at the price of sweaty outdoor work and exercise.  After that, there's a whole body of expertise (when to work, when to hydrate) and hardware (openable windows, fans, camelbaks, etc.) that have been allowed to slide in this age of easy and inexpensive A/C.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »
My point is that there is a prepper mantra that it is impossible to survive in the South and Southwest without AC.  It is simply not true.

You are correct in this, but only after people have acclimated, and after they have sorted out all of the techniques that make hot weather living bearable.  In the interim period however, there will be a lot of problems.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »

My point in the article was that there are those who will die in the South if the grid goes down, and they have no air conditioning.  Not even a fan.  Mainly the elderly and those in bad health.

Do you dispute that conclusion?  If so, I have statistics for those who died in France when their grid went down in the summer a few years ago.

I don't dispute the fact that extreme temperatures, one way or the other, can kill the unprepared especially those whose health may be failing. With that said, there is a persistent theme about the south being uninhabitable without air conditioning and that is the worst type of hyperbole.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 09:17:43 AM »
My 61-yr old neighbor man went all summer with no A/C.  We had some 106 and 107 degree days this year, but humidity was fairly low with a breeze.  I invited him to come over and soak up my A/C anytime he wanted.  He did visit a couple times after doing hard labor out in the heat.  But for the most part he was fine by himself.  His secret?  Stay hydrated with an electrolyte solution.

FWIW, I'm off-grid (with A/C too) and enjoy year-round gardening of the South.   Come on down and join us, we'll leave the light on for ya.

~TG

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 01:24:43 PM »
FWIW, I'm off-grid (with A/C too) and enjoy year-round gardening of the South.   Come on down and join us, we'll leave the light on for ya.

~TG

TexasGirl!  Don't invite them all.  Just what we need a bunch of Yankees ruining things down here.
 ;)

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 04:37:35 PM »
TexasGirl!  Don't invite them all.  Just what we need a bunch of Yankees ruining things down here.
 ;)

Well, I've met a passel of TSP'ers over the years, all of them, yankees or otherwise, were good folk.  With Guvner Bilderberger Perry recruiting so many Kalifornia liberals to move here, we need all the reinforcements we can get.

The lights still on

~TG

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 07:07:47 PM »
No Texas is totally a death trap without a/c. I have personally watched Yankees melt into a puddle of goo in August here and would advise them to steer clear of my beloved yet extremely hot state. Same with Kalifornians and other west coast weirdos. The Lord God personally put a shield of protective heat over Texas to save us from people who crap where they eat and instead of cleaning it up, they move somewhere else to repeat it. Not to put a fine point on it but seriously, move to Texas, a/c quits working and you will die a horrible, painful, messy melting death....... May God bless Texas and save us from another Northern invasion.  Ya'll should know better than to invite the unwashed heathen masses home.

(insert stern unhappy face here, glaring at my fellow Texans)
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a FREEDOM because he might abuse it?"    Harlan Carter

Offline TexDaddy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 09:13:35 PM »
I with you Taylor,

Davy Crockett said, "Gentlemen, you may go to hell. I am going to Texas." (Like there is a difference.  ::) )

Philip Henry Sheridan said, "If I owned Hell and Texas I would rent out Texas and live in Hell." (Now, he knew what he was talking about.  8) )

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 10:19:31 AM »
Wow, I'm shocked at the passion and vehemence of people denying that most people cannot live in the Southern US without A/C.

Houses these days are NOT designed to be used without A/C.  We aren't the Commanches, or our ancestors 200 years ago.  Most people aren't tough, and can't work hard in the heat without A/C.  And what was the population in Florida before A/C?  A lot lower than it is now.

But I'm wrong for stating that A/C makes the South habitable.  I maintain that it does, for most people.

I guess we will find out, if the grid drops.

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 10:45:01 AM »
Wow, I'm shocked at the passion and vehemence of people denying that most people cannot live in the Southern US without A/C.

Houses these days are NOT designed to be used without A/C.  We aren't the Commanches, or our ancestors 200 years ago.  Most people aren't tough, and can't work hard in the heat without A/C.  And what was the population in Florida before A/C?  A lot lower than it is now.

But I'm wrong for stating that A/C makes the South habitable.  I maintain that it does, for most people.

I guess we will find out, if the grid drops.

For the most part, I have to agree with you about the heat. I grew up in Oklahoma with no AC and was fine but there is no way I will do it now. Just can't take that kind of heat any more.

My dad used to say that heat sucks because you can only take so much off and then you are done.

John

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 10:50:33 AM »
I have to add that most animals don't like the heat much. Yes, you can have them but what kind of life is that for them. Unless you want to micro farm armadillo.........

John

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
I have to add that most animals don't like the heat much. Yes, you can have them but what kind of life is that for them. Unless you want to micro farm armadillo.........

John

Really?  You all crack me up!  You all act like Texas is some uninhabitable place where people boil alive if they go outside.  Never mind that the county I live in has the highest density of deer in the US or that Texas is #1 in the US in beef production.  Animals not only survive, they THRIVE here.  The goats and chickens in my backyard are just fine as long as they have shade and water.  They seem just as happy as the goats and chickens I raised in my previous state.  In fact, I have fewer problems with goats here because we don't have the long, damp, cold winters.

Y'all need to watch this video... http://vimeo.com/22132017  ....You can see in the video that Texas has grass and trees and plenty of wildlife.

Offline konaexpress

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2013, 03:07:10 PM »
That's too funny, all I remember are rocks, dirt and heat....... I do kinda remember these jackrabbit size things that some of the locals called deer.......maybe I'm thinking of those dang armadillos again....

John

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
LOL

This is where I used to live in SE Texas.

Now I'm up in the hills of NE Texas, same 100'+ pines plus hardwoods.  Never lived in the desert.

~TG