Author Topic: Fingerless Reading Mitts  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Fingerless Reading Mitts
« on: July 28, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
The pattern is free, and can be found here (note: this is a link to a PDF file): http://www.dancingewe-yarns.com/PDGCommTemplates/DE/images/FreePatterns/DancingEweYarns_SusiesReadingMitts.pdf

Took me about 10.5 hours to knit these, and took only one skein of the yarn I chose (Red Heart: Soft Yarn in the "wine" colorway).  There are a few mistakes on the pattern.  At one point it instructs you to "knit through the back loop" and it should say, "knit through the back OF THE loop".  At another point (after you finish the thumb gusset, and take the stitches off and put them on a piece of waste yarn) it suggests that you should again magically have 48 stitches on your dpns.  Not so.  you should have 40 (if you're doing the medium size).  Other than that, this is a very straight forward knitting pattern, and a ton of fun to do, since it's such a quick knit.  These are for my mom (for Christmas), and will go with a deep gray felted jacket that I plan to cast on very soon.  She's been in a Victorinox mood lately (how can you blame her?  The colors are very nice), so the deep gray/red are a theme for her right now.  Hopefully they still will be come December!  :D

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
Re: Fingerless Reading Mitts
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
Can you make them in woodland cammo?  :)

Thanks for the pattern.  I have been trying to learn to knit for a long time, my mother in law keeps promising to sit down with me, but as of now I am still an apprentice without a mentor.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 05:44:28 PM »
Can you make them in woodland cammo?  :)

Thanks for the pattern.  I have been trying to learn to knit for a long time, my mother in law keeps promising to sit down with me, but as of now I am still an apprentice without a mentor.

Actually, I think I can make them in cammo. Somewhere (I can't remember where now), I saw cammo yarn.  I will find it and link to it, if you'd like.  :)

As for being without a mentor, I will walk you through every part of knitting these, if you'd like, complete with videos and pictures.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »
Bernat makes a sort of ugly camo print yarn here: http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=camouflage

And this is a pretty camo yarn from Plymouth: http://www.anniesattic.com/detail.html?prod_id=22677

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
Sister, you are amazing!!!  I am heading to the store now.  Do you have a thread for :  Basic items one needs to start knitting?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 06:28:54 PM »
I will make one right now.  :)

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 12:50:22 AM »
I had a similar pair of reading gloves once, but I cheated.

I cut the tips off the thumb and index finger of a pair of wool glove inserts.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:03:52 AM »
LOL!  Then they weren't simliar, because these are exquisitely hand-made, and have no individual finger holes (except for the thumb).  They're like mittens, except with no top.

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 01:25:21 AM »
LOL!  Then they weren't simliar, because these are exquisitely hand-made, and have no individual finger holes (except for the thumb).  They're like mittens, except with no top.

Good point.  I don't do mittens, though, "topless" or not. 

If I did, though, I'd want some of yours.  That's some nice-looking work there.

Offline flashcard

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:35:34 AM »

Ahaha true story on the hand-made front, BUT I will speak up in favour of fingerless mitts with NO individual finger holes.  I'm a big fan of fingerless mitts/gloves of all kinds, but if they are a simple, basic tube, they have one HUGE advantage:

You don't have to take them off for things you need your hand for.  For instance:

a) to use the palm of your hand for grip/traction (i.e. the wool is too slippery to grasp a jar that you're trying to open)

b) to go to the bathroom (okay, TMI, but I get grossed out by the idea of possibly getting drips on my mitts!)

You can just push them up your arm, like a sleeve! I do like having at least a thumb-hole though, so they don't slip when you don't want them to.  These ones I made for me:

And these ones I made for my man:

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »
Good point.  I don't do mittens, though, "topless" or not. 

If I did, though, I'd want some of yours.  That's some nice-looking work there.

OJ, that was a really  nice thing to say!  Thank you!  ;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
Looking forward to that thread... I haven't been knitting lately (too hot here), but will begin again at the first sign of autumn. I have quite a few skeins of sock yarn I didn't finish up last year... The fingerless mittens look like a very fun project. I used to be a member of ravelry, but it must have been before the last move and my email address doesn't work... I'll have to sign up again...

J.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:33:57 PM »
So I bought a bolt?  I dont' even know what  you call it, but some yard.  I bought a thingy of bright orange yarn that cost 1.00 per . . .thingy.

Anyway, I come home with some knitting needles and some ugly cheap bright orange yard and a pamplet on INTRO TO KNITTING.  Meanwhile, my wife is laughing her arase off.  All I can here her say between bellows of laughter is "THAT  . . . . WILL . . . .BE . . . THE UGLIEST . . . BABY BLANKET . . . EVER".   It is some pretty ugly yarn, but it was so cheap, and I am just starting . . .right?

So I am watching TV and watching the kids and knitting when my youngest son, 11 months old, starts eating the yard.  Where there was once a nice bolt, or spool, or what ever you call a unit of yarn - there was my son with a mess as large as I have ever seen.  My Prescarf looked more like a practice rope from the swab bucklers pirate academy of rope tieing.  My yarn looks like a cats furball. And my wife may have to change her shorts from all the laughing.

I think it is easier to talk my wife into letting me buy another rifle than it will be to talk her into another thingy of yarn.

:)  This weekend, i will make a more serious effort - CHILDREN and TV FREE to start learning to knit.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:36:34 PM »
They're called skeins, dear.  :D  (pronounced SKANE).  Make yourself something that you might actually WANT in bright orange.. Like.. like a cloth to wipe down stuff in your manly gun room, or something.  :)

Offline annmedford

• Prepper
  • what we do matters
    • My etsy site! Help me fund my permaculture and prepping efforts!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 10:31:49 AM »
glad to have found this thread. I'm a knitter of lots of years and love love love fingerless mitts, mostly because you can wear them and knit! You can see some of mine at my ravelry page resnaturae  http://www.ravelry.com/projects/ResNaturae
 and at my etsy store see link below if interested.

I'd be happy to try and answer tech questions on knitting if anyone needs.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
I have to say that I love this pattern! I have made lots of pairs of them for me, family and friends... whenever I wear them, people ask where I got them...

Wonderful pattern... pretty easy if you already know how to knit on double-pointed needles.

Offline annmedford

• Prepper
  • what we do matters
    • My etsy site! Help me fund my permaculture and prepping efforts!
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 04:50:16 AM »
Shameless plug alert..
I do custom knitting to fund my permaculture projects and pay my property taxes, if anyone who doesn't knit would like a pair, check out my etsy site of contact me.