Author Topic: conditioning: sleeping lighter?  (Read 14387 times)

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
conditioning: sleeping lighter?
« on: October 01, 2013, 03:08:45 PM »
I was wondering if there's any suggestions on training yourself to wake for little sounds?
I used to be a pretty light sleeper when I was in the military ,  but since getting out a few years ago, I'm not waking up for much  anymore. I'm currently a truck driver, so I have to sleep in the back of a moving vehicle  about half the time. aaAm I just out of luck until I stop driving or are there ways I can sleep at work and be less heavy- sleeping at home?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: conditioning: sleeping lighter?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:44:07 PM »
I was wondering if there's any suggestions on training yourself to wake for little sounds?
I used to be a pretty light sleeper when I was in the military ,  but since getting out a few years ago, I'm not waking up for much  anymore. I'm currently a truck driver, so I have to sleep in the back of a moving vehicle  about half the time. aaAm I just out of luck until I stop driving or are there ways I can sleep at work and be less heavy- sleeping at home?

Have a baby? I swear you listen for every breath, wheeze, stillness ect. Ok.. only half kidding.

However, you can learn how to lucid dream. Have the house as quiet as possible. If it is a normal loud noise such as Z's cats yowling in the middle of the night, I can generally tune it out. But if there is something new for a noise as quiet as a pin dropping I wake up immediately. I attribute it to lucid dreaming.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:08:58 PM »
Personally, I think you're batshitcrazy to even think about wanting to sleep lighter.  I've been an insomniac most of my life and wake to the sound of the horse kicking the trough at 3am from 100' away with the windows closed.  It's not good.  It's too tough to get back to sleep and once the dogs hear that I'm away, they come around for attention and then I'm stuck with the choice of giving it to them or risk drowning by facial licking.

I have several driveway alarms carefully positioned to alert me to anyone approaching the house, but also positioned to avoid false alarms from wildlife.  So even if I wasn't a light sleeper, nobody could make it to the front or back door without me knowing about it well in advance.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 09:13:46 AM »
Have a baby? I swear you listen for every breath, wheeze, stillness ect. Ok.. only half kidding.

Or get cats. I swear you'll get used to waking at every bump in the night just because you'll be so used to your :censored: cats causing mischief in the night  ;D.

I have several driveway alarms carefully positioned to alert me to anyone approaching the house, but also positioned to avoid false alarms from wildlife.  So even if I wasn't a light sleeper, nobody could make it to the front or back door without me knowing about it well in advance.

I like this idea a lot. Rather than (or in addition to) trying to recondition your sleeping patterns, how about setting up simple things to make your home's entrances and surroundings less quiet?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
I don't know if I'd try to condition myself to be more of a light sleeper.  If I was going to condition myself to sleep lighter, I'd have someone do what they did to us in basic training.  To wake us up in the morning they would flip on the lights and flip the bunks of anyone who didn't immediately jump out of bed.  It also involved yelling and screaming.  It's very effective for getting you to sleep lightly and jump to "awakeness" (though not necessarily conscious).  Mind you, this was Army infantry basic training, so if you're going to get your feelings hurt you may want to try a different technique.  I know if I tried this style with my wife it would not go over well for me.  I don't poke the bear.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50:57 AM »
You mean you want to turn yourself into a zombie in the daytime because you are not getting quality rem sleep at night? :o

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
I don't know if I'd try to condition myself to be more of a light sleeper.  If I was going to condition myself to sleep lighter, I'd have someone do what they did to us in basic training.  To wake us up in the morning they would flip on the lights and flip the bunks of anyone who didn't immediately jump out of bed.  It also involved yelling and screaming.  It's very effective for getting you to sleep lightly and jump to "awakeness" (though not necessarily conscious).  Mind you, this was Army infantry basic training, so if you're going to get your feelings hurt you may want to try a different technique.  I know if I tried this style with my wife it would not go over well for me.  I don't poke the bear.

I know exactly what you mean. First night attack on my COP in Afghanistan I was asleep for the first five to ten minutes of. Still got my gear and boots on, got up to the top of the guard tower and was returning fire before I was fully conscious. Training works.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
I sleep like the dead ,when i can get to sleep. But when something is wrong i know it and I'm up.
I say don't worry about it , you will not sleep so good when things start to go bad anyway.
Park your rig in East ST. Louis over night and you will see what i mean .
When i got back from the Army ,toned up to the max, you took your life in your own hand if you crossed my yard in the night. My friends would honk , yell, then knock standing to the side of the door .
I still sleep with my eyes open ,freak everyone out .

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »
To wake us up in the morning they would flip on the lights and flip the bunks of anyone who didn't immediately jump out of bed.  It also involved yelling and screaming.

I so would have ended up in military prison over that.

Cedar

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 04:28:30 PM »
I so would have ended up in military prison over that.

Cedar

Well, when you sign up for it, the idea is that you already know it isn't going to be Girl Scout camp.

Offline Entity

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 08:23:07 PM »
yes, but when they play Reveille, they are not usually expecting impromptu hand to hand practice...

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
If I remember correctly, we didn't usually hear reveille until we were doing our morning workouts through training.. we never really had anyone tossed out of their bunks.. when the night guards would yell "lights lights lights" and turned on the lights, everyone in our platoon was up. Most of us were waking up early, and we decided at some point along the way to all be dressed and on line by the time lights came on instead of just hopping out of bed in our skivvies. Im sure that would help with not sleeping too heavy.. but the yelling might not go over so well in the apartment here.

That being said, our apartment is fairly sound proof, but I don't think my wife would be interested in getting up before me just so she could flip on the lights and yell.. :) We do have a 13 month old. For the first couple of months I was sleeping at home every night and she was in the same room, then the next room over (divided by a curtain in the doorway). I definitely slept light then, but then I went back to driving over the road, so I sleep with the road/truck noises all the time now.

It's a bummer.

we also have 2 cats, but after having them several years I think I sleep through most of their noises. Maybe I should make myself get up when I hear the cat noises.. rolling over and going back to sleep maybe has contributed to the no longer waking up to them.

We don't have a lot of random noises in the apartment now aside from the ones the cats make.. maybe if there was something out of the ordinary it would get  to me

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:50:01 AM »
One of my friends was a trucker for a long time.  He had a Screaming Meanie to use as an alarm clock.  When he stopped driving he gave me the alarm.  It was one of these:

http://www.the-perfect-present.com/Pages_SCRM/trucker_accessories.html

The one I "inherited" was blaze orange, and he had tweaked it with additional wiring so that he could hook it up to a tripwire.  That way if someone opened his truck door it would go off.  It screams like a scalded dog.

Offline offbeatbassist

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
hey that's cool! I don't particularly need one since I team drive and my co-driver and I will holler at each other if we aren't up by whatever time we've designated.. but it would be more convenient than yelling at the curtain :)