Author Topic: Airline travelers EDC kit...  (Read 6497 times)

Offline finnius

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Airline travelers EDC kit...
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:36:19 AM »
Good morning TSP!
So I am currently traveling more and more for work in particular flying from one area to another. Most of my trips are 3-4 days and I despise checking in luggage ( I have terrible luck with missing or damaged baggage) During my most recent trip to Texas I found myself lost as hell traveling to the job site thinking to myself ... What if I break down? What if I get stranded? Etc... Normally at home I have my get home bag and a bin full of supplies on hand at all times.
Here is my question for all of you:

What do you bring when you travel, in particular you carry on items?
What additional items do you wish you could bring (within reason)?
What items from your home EDC or bag kit have you been able to alter to be carry on friendly?
Any other random ideas.

Thank you all! And I look forward to getting some great ideas flowing for some us short term travelers!

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Airline travelers EDC kit...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
I normally check a bag so I can take my pistol.  But I also like to have as much prep stuff in carry-on as possible, too.

What I take with me on plane trips:

Carry-on:
- High intensity LED flashlight like a Fenix, 4/7, etc. and batteries
- Photon pinch light and extra batteries
- Pocket survival kit, by Doug Ritter, and remove the capsule of safety pins.
- compact emergency space blanket
- paracord or tarred twine (fishnet twine)
- backpacking first-aid kit (minus the razor blades)
- compass
- map of area
- pen and notepad
- energy bars
- Always take extra pair of wool socks, wool hat (or boonie hat if hot), and underwear, shirt in case luggage is lost
- matches and firesteel with striker

Note that I made up special versions of the Pocket Survival Kit and the first-aid kit and labeled them for Airline travel use.  I have the full versions I use for hiking or car travel.

Luggage preps:
- 2x  20 oz bottles of water (so when i get to hotel I have clean water until I can get to a store)
- One of those bottles is actually a filled Katadyn filter bottle.
- Food for dinner and extra energy bars
- Sheath knife, and diamond sharpener
- Swiss Army knife and Griptillian folder
- Small folding saw
- Multitool
- Pistol in locked case (usually my G27 which has a 9 rd mag), with several extra loaded mags
- IWB holster, if I am in a state that honors my OR or UT carry permit
- extra LED flashlight

Other measures I take:
- Never rent a red or white car, and prefer foreign make to domestic; these used to be the most common rental car colors and easy to ID as a out of towner.  the rental agencies have gotten much better about this and usually have a good mix of makes and colors.

- Request room on second floor: still reasonable to escape from in case of fire, but above he first floor where most disturbances start.

- Don't go to stupid places, nor hang out with stupid people, nor do stupid things (like getting drunk); especially alone

- As soon as practical I go to a nearby grocery store and get several more bottles of water, enough for my stay plus a couple more days.  I often end up leaving a few bottles behind, but I figure it is good insurance for just a few dollars.  I never drink the hotel water or other local water.  I also get extra food.  If for any reason there was an emergency and I was stuck at the hotel, i want a couple of days days buffer in food and water to sort things out.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:11:50 PM »
I think I first heard about it from Jack, but http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-41830-Pocket-Knife-Exchange/dp/B0016KHW2W/ (the EAB) seems like a good idea when flying.  Dump the blade before you leave, pickup a new one when you land (or just keep it empty and get a blade should things ever go south [I'd go with the former]). 

This could work quite well if you are travelling between the same sets of offices and could store a few things at your office space at location B/C/D.  I don't know about there, but in most office environments, I don't think a small box of utility blades would get you in too much trouble (I have to open boxes!).

I also have one of these as my EDC (and bring it when I fly) and have been quite happy with it...quite a few uses as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kanteen-Stainless-Brushed-40-Ounce/dp/B0093IS19C/  There's a 64oz option, but 40oz has worked well for me to date and fits in almost all "bottle holder" pouches on my bags.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
I travel extensively, mostly between two city pairs (60%) but also around the country and world (40%)

Depending on where I am going, I generally only carry a rolling bag and small backpack (since in keep a set of firearms in my regular travel city) but I check a bag with a firearm when I can, depending on legality at the destination.

But I ALWAYS carry the following in the backpack
-Water filter
-Titanium cup
-Lighter
-Mini Multitool with no knife
-Stanley multi screwdriver
-Klein electrician scissors
-First aid kit (with bandaids, bandages, quickclot, medications <laxative, anti-diarrhea, nausea, aspirin, tylenol, sleep   aids, benadryl, inhalable epinephrine>) Plus prescription meds I won't go into. I have used these more for fellow travelers than for myself
-Streamlight 2AA protac
-Delorme Inreach SE - GPS and Iridium satelite communicator
-Samsung Galaxy tab loaded with books and reference material
-Poncho
-Umbrella
-socks, gloves, wrap style ear warmer, undergarments (sometimes these are just used to change after a long delay or flight, not everything is an end of the world emergency, but fresh dry socks and underwear make me happier)
-PVS-14 Gen 3 nightvision (except when traveling internationally)
-Charger for phone (also works for Inreach) and tablet with different cable
-2 packs MRE peanut butter
-2 packs Gatorade G2 drink mix
-Emergency desalination bag

In my rolling bag I add the following
-Clothes appropriate to weather
-lightweight lace up ankle supports (for long hikes out, or ad hoc sports)
-Additional prescription drugs
-Sleeping pad (Thermarest Neo-Air) to date only used for long delays or crashing on a friend's floor
-Bivy sack
-Additional Emergency desalination bags
-Batteries (AA lithium, For streamlight and night vision)
-playing cards
-more peanut butter, gatorade drink mix, instant coffee (you'd be surprised how early airport concessions sometimes close when waiting for a delayed flight)
-inflatable next pillow
-packsafe security mesh (mainly for bus and train travel so I can use restroom or bar without dragging bag around)
-Paracord
-silcock key
-additional water filter

Sometimes I carry a laptop, depending on the job and what I need to get done, but try to make do with just the tablet.

The number one thing I have done to make travel easier is adopting a single pair of shoes. Sporty enough to use hotel gym (although not stylish for that purpose) and nice enough to go with a nice pair of jeans or khaki pants. I use a brown hiking type shoe. This allows for only one belt, and one type of sock. I used to carry black dress shoes and slacks, and athletic shoes, along with different socks and a second belt. If you can get by with one pair of shoes, you can carry so much more.

I have traveled internationally for a week with just a roller carry-on and small backpack. The shoes are a big part of it.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
The number one thing I have done to make travel easier is adopting a single pair of shoes. Sporty enough to use hotel gym (although not stylish for that purpose) and nice enough to go with a nice pair of jeans or khaki pants. I use a brown hiking type shoe. This allows for only one belt, and one type of sock. I used to carry black dress shoes and slacks, and athletic shoes, along with different socks and a second belt. If you can get by with one pair of shoes, you can carry so much more.

I have traveled internationally for a week with just a roller carry-on and small backpack. The shoes are a big part of it.

Chris, lots of good ideas.  I ended up with the same solution to shoes as you describe.  Most of my travel is business casual (polo shirt and jeans or khakis).  I now just wear my brown suede Teva trail shoes.  I am good to go if I have to hike, or if the weather or situation turns worse than anticipated. 

Also, great suggestions for being prepared in case of long flight delays.  I have also adopted th policy to always arrive before 7pm if at all possible.  The earlier in the day you arrive the more options you have if there are problems with luggage, rental car, hotel, etc.  If you arrive at 11pm and there are any problems then you have very little wiggle room before having to be at work the next morning, and you are most likely exhausted by then, too.

Offline finnius

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:11:38 PM »
Awesome, thank you all for some great posts! I see some things I want to add to my carry on luggage ASAP. 
I appreciate everyones post. I hop this gets some other traveling folks thinking as well :)

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
Thanks for this post. I've recently started traveling again quite frequently... 1-2 weeks per month for a couple of days. So I NEVER check anything anymore. I miss my knife BADLY. Exchange-A-Blade seems like a winner since I'm traveling to other company locations.

Just curious, how much paracord are you talking? I always travel with 2 bracelets I made, ~20ft each. Last week I went to DC and had space (no business clothes that time) so I took 100' hank. That felt a little over the top, especially since I only had a lighter/fingernail clips to cut it.

Shoes are DEFINITELY the killer space wise. I try to always wear a "move" shoe on travel day - my Rocky SDV2s or just my cross-trainers. If you can limit yourself to a single pair, you buy lots of cubic inches. Even a pair of flip-flops takes up valuable space.

@chris - you really travel with a PVS-14? How does TSA take that?

endurance

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 04:49:02 PM »
I refuse to be without a knife, so I always check a bag.  This is my travel kit that has evolved over the years:

Contents:
Lithium ion cell phone and kindle charger- Uses 4 18650 batteries and gives me about 1.7 kindle charges or about 4-5 cell phone charges on a single charge*
2 outlet lighter 12vdc USB charger
2 outlet 120vac USB charger
2 retractable USB chargers with jacks that will charge my i-pod, i-phone 5, mini and micro USB devices*
1 small speaker for my i-pod or i-phone
1 set of custom ear plugs with headphones for air travel*
1 spare set of earbuds*
1 small single AA headlamp
1 4xAA SteriPen (if I was to buy again, I'd opt for the wind-up model that doesn't use batteries)
1 PALights Survivor 9v battery light (makes a great always-on night light, plus a decent light for general purposes)
1 spare 9v battery
2 x 4 AA lithium batteries for steri pen and/or headlamp
1 bottle iodine water purification tablets
1 Doug Ritter Pocket Survival Kit
1 10' spool of picture frame wire
1 2 person space blanket
1 Bic lighter
2 tea-light candles
30' 550 cord (would replace with florescent orange with reflective tracer if I had it when I built the kit and will likely upgrade soon)
2 WetFire fire starters
3 1 liter water bags
1 cheap fixed blade knife (I usually check my EDC H&K pocket knife)
1 Original Leatherman (not my favorite model, but it's a spare that I don't miss when it's packed away)
1 Wine bottle opener (used on nearly every trip)
1 Hand Sanitizer*
Personal care items (toothbrush, q-tips, floss, lotion, deodorant, 4 days medications)
Convenience first aid kit (mostly stuff like gas-x, benadryl, Sudafed, tweezers, bandaids, steri-strips, aspirin, etc., but also has a 4x4 compress and a couple key prescriptions)

*Goes into my carry on if I have the time

I continue to carry my EDC of my Sunwayman V10R and now that I think about it, I'll probably add a couple CR123s to this kit, my i-phone, keys (with Res-Q-me window punch), concealed money belt ( and wallet when I fly.  My knife goes into my checked luggage.

Some things I've thought about adding, my Delorme InReach, a more complete first aid kit (my jacket pocket usually has a 4" heavy compress, SWAT Tourniquet and gloves) that includes medications for digestive bugs (flagyl, cipro), UTIs, and narcotics, and a few gold coins.  In the past, I have carried gold, but the risk of having it stolen has deterred me lately.  I also have carried lock picks in the past, but I don't currently.  No real reason why other than my kit is already pretty overstuffed.

As for how I dress when flying, always long sleeves and long pants, always cotton.  Flash fire is my primary concern, so no poly.  My firearms instructor recommends steel-toe boots, but frankly, having to take on and off a laced boot isn't worth it for me, so I wear slip ons or running shoes.  This is pure laziness on my part.  He also carries a cane that is pretty stout when he flies. 

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 01:16:49 PM »
Thanks for this post. I've recently started traveling again quite frequently... 1-2 weeks per month for a couple of days. So I NEVER check anything anymore. I miss my knife BADLY. Exchange-A-Blade seems like a winner since I'm traveling to other company locations.

Just curious, how much paracord are you talking? I always travel with 2 bracelets I made, ~20ft each. Last week I went to DC and had space (no business clothes that time) so I took 100' hank. That felt a little over the top, especially since I only had a lighter/fingernail clips to cut it.

Shoes are DEFINITELY the killer space wise. I try to always wear a "move" shoe on travel day - my Rocky SDV2s or just my cross-trainers. If you can limit yourself to a single pair, you buy lots of cubic inches. Even a pair of flip-flops takes up valuable space.

@chris - you really travel with a PVS-14? How does TSA take that?

I'm a TSA precheck member so at major airports I get little scrutiny of anything, I could probably get a knife through if I wanted. the pvs14 gets no scrutiny ever, not once in 270000 miles of air travel over 4 years. I have gotten more scrutjny over a roll of silver coins since they appear very dense on the x-ray.

At skme of the smallr airports they all know me and my gear. My rollong carry on is a pelican case and mybackpack a maxpedition, so if they were going to scrutinize somekne based on appearances I might be a target, but I am 100% solid my stuff is kosher, and I never geg trouble.

As to the knife thing, I have an eab, which is good, but for during travel, look into klein electricians scissors, they are completely legal to fly, and as good as a knife or better for many tasks. they screw apart into two makeshift knives if necessary.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 01:44:38 PM »
I'm a TSA precheck member...

look into klein electricians scissors, they are completely legal to fly
TSA Pre-Check: I don't fly THAT much. Plus, we don't have a pre-check line at my home (podunk) airport.

Klein scissors: You can carry those on? Amazon shows them at 5.25 OAL. TSA says 4" blade. I assume the TSA requirement means the actual blade. And screwdrivers are obviously legal to fly.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 08:12:28 AM »
TSA Pre-Check: I don't fly THAT much. Plus, we don't have a pre-check line at my home (podunk) airport.

Klein scissors: You can carry those on? Amazon shows them at 5.25 OAL. TSA says 4" blade. I assume the TSA requirement means the actual blade. And screwdrivers are obviously legal to fly.

rules are 7 ince overall limit with 4 inch blade if metal,  they consider the blade to start at the pivot, not just the sharpened part