Author Topic: Wool Blanket  (Read 17758 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Wool Blanket
« on: October 03, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Has heard of a Curaplex Wool Blanket? I'm making emergency kits for my home and car and saw they were 80% wool. Is a higher percentage wool better?

http://www.theemsstore.com/store/product.aspx/productId/19513/Curaplex-Wool-Blanket/?gclid=CNWE_p6j_LkCFckRMwodY3wAwQ

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Re: Wool Blanket
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:23:06 AM »
Wool is naturally insulating, self extinguishing, and water resistant. Nowadays it's often combined with manmade fibers, such as nylon, for extra strength and softness. That listing doesn't say what the other 20% is, but I'd bet it's an artificial fiber. I don't have experience with that particular product, but it looks like something I should have as well.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:07:31 AM »
as I understand nylon etc is normal in wool fabrics because it makes it more durable.

the big negative thing with most plastic fabrics is the danger they are in a fire (the fabric melts into the skin if you wear it) So I would personally not trust a blanket with 20% that can be anything when it comes to fire (even if theres a Chance that the wool makes it safe)

We have a 100% wool blanket from a army surplus store in our car (but I don't Think they ship to the US)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
      You don't see them much anymore, but along with fire extinguishers, you used to find "fire blankets". 100% wool will not melt and stick to flesh and can be used to smother the flames of a burning person. You could also wrap yourself in a wool blanket to escape a burning building.
     My family participates in Prue-1840's fur trade era reenacting events. All we use is wool blankets (as the mountain men did back then). The best are Hudson Bay trade blankets. The more stripes (thickness) the better. These are really pricey, but you do find them at garage sales, sometimes. Most of our authentic clothing is buckskin, wool or linen.
     I have a dozen or so Army wool blankets. I keep a couple in the truck with my emergency stuff. They seem to go for around $20 to $25 now,l new. I look for them at garage sales (much cheaper). Polypropylene clothing and blankets will also insulate even when damp, like wool. However they are dangerous around an open flame or in  fire situation. Cotton is the worst material for clothing in cold weather conditions. It will absorb moisture and rob you of body heat.
     Virgin wool is the best, then reprocessed wool, then wool synthetic blends. Besides the shrinkage factor when washing wool, you have to be careful not to remove the natural oils and lanolin with harsh detergents. There are special washes for wool items.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 09:08:13 AM »
The only Army blankets I can find are only 70% wool. I could try a surplus store, but I'd have no idea what percentage those are either.

I just did a search for fire blankets and they are 80% as well.

Does anyone know what percentage these Swiss and Czech ones are from Sportsman's? I called them and they didn't know.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-swiss-style-military-wool-blanket.aspx?a=1123939

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-czech-military-surplus-wool-blanket-olive-drab.aspx?a=1510539
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:20:57 AM by Badhog »

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:20:35 AM »
There are special washes for wool items.
This is an excellent one:
http://www.kookaburraco.com/wash_buynow.htm
It's a no-rinse wash that contains lanolin and tea tree oil. You can also use it on sheepskin.

What's been said about blended wool around fire is absolutely true. It will melt and stick to your skin. That being said, my search for a fire blanket has also turned up only blends so far. My best guess is that since fire blankets are only intended to put out very small fires, there won't be enough heat or enough time for the artificial fibers to melt. Nylon, for example, has a melting point that varies from ~375 to ~660 degrees F, depending on the specific polymer used. It's also possible the fabric is treated with some kind of anti-flammable compound.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:55:18 AM »
the 100% wool blankets from "our" military surplus store is from Poland and Germany (they sell military surplus from alot of contreys) maby you can find a seller in the US who get them from Poland or Germany.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
I found an Ebay seller that has 100% wool NOS Italian Army blankets 39$ They look like Woolrich blankets but about a 1/3 the price here's the item number just paste it in the Ebay search box   271289911043

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
You want 100% wool. It is the only material that retains warmth even when wet. A great source is:
http://www.gr8gear.com/outdoor-gear-sleeping-gear-blankets.html

They happen to be just down the street from my work. I have a few officer italian blankets that are great once you get the classic moth ball smell out of them

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »
A few washes in woolite should do the trick.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
I bought the one on Ebay. I hope that seller is true to his word and they are 100% wool.  I'm glad to be looking for them now with hard they are to find.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
hey what happened to thsoe Greek surplus balnkets that a member bought sometime ago?

Offline DarkEyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 07:06:50 AM »
I bought all of my Hudson Bay blankets from shopgoodwill.com...for $20 or less each...some people have no clue what they are...there are also good deals on there on cast iron.

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 08:57:26 AM »
I bought all of my Hudson Bay blankets from shopgoodwill.com...for $20 or less each...some people have no clue what they are...there are also good deals on there on cast iron.

I find great deals at the Goodwill near me, but never realized they had an online store. Thanks for the great link. I will check that site before buying any vintage stuff like cast iron pans.

Offline Here Again

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 10:44:04 AM »

I had no idea they had an online "store".  Looks like an auction thing, but there are some good looking deals!  Thanks, you just saved me a bunch of time and gas money.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:37 PM »
Well, I received my blanket and washed it with Woolite and a cup of vinegar...it's now out back air drying....and my front loading washer smells like moth balls.

Did anyone else have this problem? How did you get the smell out?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 12:29:00 PM »
Try soaking your washer with washing soda (sometimes called soda ash). You should be able to find it with the laundry detergent at the grocery store. Put some washing soda in your washer, fill it with water, and let it soak for ~30 minutes. You can then add detergent and a load of laundry or just run it empty.

I used to work with molten sulfur and COULD NOT get the smell out of my clothes unless I soaked them first. It might take a few washes to get it all out.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »
It's a front loader :( I'll see if I can find something at Walmart though to clean it though.

Offline Poet

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 01:55:34 PM »
Just checked shopgoodwill.com. it's an auction? Ick!

I'll just pay the money at the local A/N. I hate auctions.

Offline Aunt

• Survivor
  • Life-long Learner
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 09:37:05 AM »
Harbor Freight has grey 80% wool blankets 60" x 80" for $9.99.  http://www.harborfreight.com/60-inch-x-80-inch-wool-blanket-92625.html  They are, of course, smelly.  I washed mine in cold water and hung it to dry.  Then I used a soft hair brush to brush off the lint.  I left the blanket hanging on my back porch overnight to help get rid of some more smell.  It is a comfortable and warm addition to my bed.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
Glad you were luckier than I was. My washing machine still stinks. Not sure how I'll get that out, but I learned the hard lesson that you don't wash them until the moth ball smell is out. Just leave them hanging until then :(

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2013, 11:56:59 AM »
I usually handwash mine in the bath tube.

The smell in your washer will eventually go away, just give it a few weeks and a few more washes.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 12:02:35 PM »
Tide makes a washing machine wash that's for front loaders. You could do a empty load of just bleach and hot water, maybe do a cpl of white towels in it not to waste the water

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2013, 07:10:12 PM »
I've tried everything from washing machine cleaners, dishwasher soap, essential oils, stainless steel cleaners, to bathroom cleaner. I actually thought the bathroom cleaner made a dent, but it only masked it for a bit. I have no idea how it chemically bonded to the metal and plastic inside there but it's unbelievable. I'm debating trying tomato juice next...works for skunks, right?

I've Googled the heck out of it and also talked to an appliance repairman friend. All the research I found basically said it will go away, but a few people had to buy a new washing machine. I guess I'll be doing my wash at a friends house or testing out my emergency prep method with a plunger looking thing and a 5 gallon bucket. Worst $50 investment of my life.

nelson96

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2013, 07:27:09 PM »
I've tried everything from washing machine cleaners, dishwasher soap, essential oils, stainless steel cleaners, to bathroom cleaner. I actually thought the bathroom cleaner made a dent, but it only masked it for a bit. I have no idea how it chemically bonded to the metal and plastic inside there but it's unbelievable. I'm debating trying tomato juice next...works for skunks, right?

I've Googled the heck out of it and also talked to an appliance repairman friend. All the research I found basically said it will go away, but a few people had to buy a new washing machine. I guess I'll be doing my wash at a friends house or testing out my emergency prep method with a plunger looking thing and a 5 gallon bucket. Worst $50 investment of my life.

Try vinegar.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 07:29:24 PM »
Tried that one too. It was actually in with the blanket. When I do something I do it right ;)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
If possible leave the door open when not in use. Air will help dissipate the smell. Continue usiging the washer and eventually the smell will go away. Unfortunately it will probably take a few weeks.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
So, if you've never experienced a crud hit the fan situation try telling the lady of the house her washing machine is out of order...and you did it ;) No, it doesn't help to have a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger looking device.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 10:17:51 AM »
So, if you've never experienced a crud hit the fan situation try telling the lady of the house her washing machine is out of order...and you did it ;) No, it doesn't help to have a 5 gallon bucket and a plunger looking device.

oh... good luck sleeping in the dog's house

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:01 AM »
oh... good luck sleeping in the dog's house

The freshly washed wood blanket ought to come in handy for that! :D

Just ordered a couple of 100% wool blankets off e-bay.  Will see how smelly they are when they get here.  I guess I'll steer clear of washing them in the family washing machine, though!  ;)