Author Topic: CAC - what you should know!  (Read 9232 times)

Offline nitehawg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
CAC - what you should know!
« on: July 26, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
As with any organization, we use terms and phrases that have specific meanings to us-but not to you.  Here is my attempt to explain us.

CAC the former TSP disaster response team; now Citizens Assisting Citizens

DEPLOYABLE A volunteer who, in most cases, can respond and remain on scene for at least 3 days

NON-DEPLOYABLE A volunteer who due to health, family, financial or other sound reason cannot deploy.  While there is a major focus for "boots on the ground" volunteers, "shoes at home" volunteers are just as important to handle the day to day jobs that don't require being on scene.

GENERAL VOLUNTEER ALL OF US!  We will, of course,  need volunteers with special licenses, training, education, skills and hobbies but we must all be ready to pitch in where needed.  If you posses specialized skills please let us know in the comments section of the volunteer registration form.  We certainly will utilize your skills when we can.

REGION COORDINATOR For administrative purposes we chose to adopt the FEMA geographic regions.  Region Coordinators have been chosen by the Executive Director from applicants and passed background checks.  They are tasked with coordinating deployment and non-deployment activities.  We are still looking for a few, so if you are interested please let us know and I will send you a more complete description.

BACKGROUND CHECK Some positions require a criminal background check.  These are conducted by a licensed private investigative agency and the results are known only to the Executive Director and the volunteer.  There are no automatic disqualifiers.  If something troubling should arise, it will be resolved in a private conversation between the Executive Director and the volunteer.

Well that does it for now, special thanks to the mod who deleted my fat fingered first attempt at this post and Cedar who pointed out a basic mistake.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: CAC - what you should know!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:55:53 AM »
looks like the ball is rolling (Ep 1469)

Where should we post questions that we have?
Website
facebook
TSP blog
TSP Forum

personally I have questions of about equipment for "Anchoring"
-Some of this stuff I have for my own house preps.. (6ft table, gen, changing cords, chairs)
-What is the current list of items?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »
I recently completed a CERT course (apparently the quality various by municipality), and a lot of this subject matter is fresh in my head.  I also have a general class amatuer radio license.  My motivation for all of this is to be self-sufficient in an emergency where transportation and comms are limited.

I'd very much enjoy talking offline with someone about this.  I have too many questions, and don't want to distract from the recruitment effort.
Please PM me.

Offline Jlpayne86

• Prepper
  • MSB lifetime member
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »
I filled out the volunteer app. Meryl exciting and promising, this is a great tool.  How long after volunteer packet is filled out do you receive correspondence?  Also I probably really didn't put much info in the demographics part, guess I should have put more. I almost got the feeling it was more of a preliminary contact form.
Thx
Jason

Offline SuburbanGardener

• Survivor
  • Engineering a sustainable lifestyle
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 04:58:20 PM »
I filled out the volunteer app. Meryl exciting and promising, this is a great tool.  How long after volunteer packet is filled out do you receive correspondence?  Also I probably really didn't put much info in the demographics part, guess I should have put more. I almost got the feeling it was more of a preliminary contact form.
Thx
Jason

I filled out the application too.  I suspect that its going to take a little while for the regional coordinators to go through the mess of applications that they're going to get after Jack told us about it.  I don't know if those guys are going to have staff to help them, but if they get 100 apps each, I would expect it to take a while.

Offline Jlpayne86

• Prepper
  • MSB lifetime member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:29:31 PM »
I think your right!  I saw the Facebook page after I wrote this, they are going through them.  Probably wishing they had help...lol

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 03:05:08 PM »
I signed up too! Now semi deployable due to job, but am in the process of starting my own business so when that is good and running I should be more deployable.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:36:39 PM »
BACKGROUND CHECK   There are no automatic disqualifiers.
Well that is a little unnerving. I would like to see some set disqualifiers before I joined. Don't particularly want to be working next to someone that has a serious felony record, or is a registered sex offender for example.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:13:38 AM »
Well that is a little unnerving. I would like to see some set disqualifiers before I joined. Don't particularly want to be working next to someone that has a serious felony record, or is a registered sex offender for example.

In the interview they used those two specific examples of what they do not want in a volunteer. I'm wondering if they are saying that so people who have minor things that they are concerned about are still willing to volunteer, given that CAC might not care so much about those minor things? Or what if a felony is really old and the person is changed? Do felonies older than 7 years show up on a background check?

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 08:59:02 AM »
Do felonies older than 7 years show up on a background check?
In NC they do.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:21:29 AM »
Maybe that is what they are getting at then? Old felonies aren't as big a deal as recent felonies? The reason I picked 7 was because on any job app I've seen in AZ they always ask about felonies less than 7 years old.

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 03:35:31 PM »
looks like the ball is rolling (Ep 1469)

Where should we post questions that we have?
Website
facebook
TSP blog
TSP Forum

personally I have questions of about equipment for "Anchoring"
-Some of this stuff I have for my own house preps.. (6ft table, gen, changing cords, chairs)
-What is the current list of items?

I've got the same question.  It doesn't appear that there's much talk about the CAC teams yet.  I did volunteer and while I'm glad there are no disasters in in region 4, I would like to get started on certifying and re-certifying and doing what I can. 

Is the DRT forum going to still be the place to discuss the CAC or is there going to be a stand alone board on the CAC site or Facebook page?

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 07:52:59 PM »
I am seeing more notification through Facebook

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »
Maybe that is what they are getting at then? Old felonies aren't as big a deal as recent felonies? The reason I picked 7 was because on any job app I've seen in AZ they always ask about felonies less than 7 years old.

Maybe after 7 years AZ thinks you're reformed.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
If you are interested and haven't already, please visit CACTeam.com to sign up and/or donate. We need everyone who is willing. Signing up in no way commits you to any specific disaster response... we aren't the military. If you can't support us with your time or money, please support us with your social capital. That is, go to the website and share it to your social networks (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)

Dillon - Region IV Coordinator

NOTE: I will be posting this across multiple threads within the TSP DRT board to reach the widest audience. I believe this is not outside the forum rules given that this board is dedicated to this specific subject.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »
On another note, there is a forum that has been set up. However, we are still testing it and it isn't meant (at this point) as a talkaround kind of forum. It is really meant as a coordination/information sharing platform. But we're in 1.0. I don't disagree that there may be a need for a forum to post questions.

For now, I'd use the FB page or the website contact. If enough similar questions come together, that would seem to form the basis of a FAQ we could post on the site.

Offline Duchesssammi

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: CAC - what you should know! Signed up- but haven't heard anything
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 01:30:49 AM »
Hey Guys, its me Duchesssammi,
Haven't been on much lately been going through very very rough personal problems at home. My husband was fired 2 days before New Years - for not doing his bosses job and the housekeepers jobs... He was Maintenance - he was fired for not knowing silverware was missing in a cabin...It was unreal the bitch that hired him completely SCREWED him over and us, because hes been searching Ive been searching for him and we both been sending out over 200 resumes a week to any job that he can do. NO calls yet.  We got help paying our rent this month and electric bill and cable/internet. but we have nothing coming in and well are terrified....

But I want to help out and get busy helping IN CAC....