Author Topic: Everything better with cream of mushroom soup  (Read 2913 times)

Offline Doc Savage

• Prepper
Everything better with cream of mushroom soup
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:01:09 PM »
I wrote Buckshot of Buckshots camp fame about how to cook raccoons and beaver.  He had said that these were good survival food in one of his videos.  The following reply is classic.

"Thank you for your order. Coons are like a fat pig when it comes to cooking them. The best way for mid size and smaller coons under 15 pounds is to roast them. Now the trick to cooking coons is to have the meat above the heat so the fat can drip down. Like a BBQ grill or in the oven on a grill above a pan to catch the grease. Cut as much fat off as you can cook allowing most the grease to melt off a light coating of BBQ sauce. Now you have some great eating.

Next way on coons or beaver. BTW young beaver under 35 pounds are awesome on the grill so is muskrat. Parboil the meat for 10 mins allow to cool and strip off the meat from the bones. Take that meat and place in your favorite stew recipe or I really like it in white navy beans simmer all day. Nice meal when you come in from the cold. Chili recipe do the same parboil and strip the meat off and add. A good chili recipe on beaver and most folks can't tell it is not beef.

Another one that is always safe bet is parboil strip the meat off and simmer in cream of mushroom soup all day. Serve over fried potatoes or rice.

Season to taste. I like chopped onions, lemon pepper, salt, a little garlic, and green peppers works in stews or soups.

Or you can parboil strip the meat off roll in flour and fry too. I use chopped onions, lemon pepper, salt, a little garlic, and green peppers. My sister makes the best turtle soup. Now big snapping turtles are tough meat. She would boil it over night. Drain. Strip the meat off add the normal soup stuff and simmer all day. It is awesome. Anything can be made to taste good this way. :-)

On beaver another way is bake in the oven 350 cover with Lipton onion soup mix. Play around try different things you will find a great why to cook most wild game."

Buckshot

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
Re: Everything better with cream of mushroom soup
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:38:29 PM »
+1

Good stuff in that reply.  Thanks!

SeventhSon

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 07:26:00 AM »
I love quail with cream of mushroom soup cooked in a dutch oven over rice.
Tasty.

Earth Monk

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
You Know, my Mamma would add Cream of Mushroom to stuff and call it "Swedish", like Swedish Meatballs was meat balls and CoM soup, Swedish Chicken and Green Been Casarole, Swedish Swede... well, that was an unfortunate Scandanavian hitch-hiker I think...Delicious!
-Ras