Author Topic: Prepper Clothing for Women  (Read 8327 times)

Offline MJWitt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Prepper Clothing for Women
« on: October 21, 2013, 01:52:15 PM »
Question: are there "prepper" clothing lines that are made for women that people would recommend?

My apologies to the ladies for hijacking their board.  I do have a question (above) that I hope they can help me with.  My wife isn't fully engaged into the prepping mindset yet, but she isn't discouraging me (win!).  I'm working on getting some spare clothes tucked away, and want something comfortable, durable, and (at least for her) something that she will not think looks too unflattering.

This is fairly easy task for me, I tend to wear that type of gear day to day so it's more a matter of deepening the stock. REI, cabelas, 5.11, etc. give me plenty of gear clothing line options. I was wondering what our lady preppers like to wear, or at least put in their emergency clothing supply?

Thanks for any recommendations, and sorry if this has been covered in the past.  I did some brief searching without success.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Prepper Clothing for Women
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 04:35:12 PM »
Question: are there "prepper" clothing lines that are made for women that people would recommend?

My apologies to the ladies for hijacking their board.  I do have a question (above) that I hope they can help me with.  My wife isn't fully engaged into the prepping mindset yet, but she isn't discouraging me (win!).  I'm working on getting some spare clothes tucked away, and want something comfortable, durable, and (at least for her) something that she will not think looks too unflattering.

This is fairly easy task for me, I tend to wear that type of gear day to day so it's more a matter of deepening the stock. REI, cabelas, 5.11, etc. give me plenty of gear clothing line options. I was wondering what our lady preppers like to wear, or at least put in their emergency clothing supply?

Thanks for any recommendations, and sorry if this has been covered in the past.  I did some brief searching without success.

Not a woman, but the wife does engage in the prepper lifestyle as well as shooting, hiking, etc.  In her case, she likes the standard BDU style pants, 5.11 pants (but the guys' fit, not the women's).  The tops she tends to wear are a bit more expensive, either modified BDU jacket tops (pockets moved around) or Patagonia, Columbia or Cabela's stuff. 

She prefers much of the guy's clothing because she feels that the stuff made for women seems to be made more for looks than for real use.  Climbing a 10' wall, taking a knee behind a barricade, low-crawling from one shooting position to another are all easier and less restrictive in the men's clothing, she says.

She does tailor the clothing a bit, but not much, and more for comfort or convenience, than anything else.

Just a nickel's worth.

The Professor

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »

Look at what your wife likes to wear when she is out doing yard work or any outdoor activities. I suggest you duplicate to the size and brand what she actually wears (not what is in the closet). Start with foundations (underwear, bras) and go from there.  Quality socks (wool hiking socks) are important as are quality hiking boots/all weather boots depending upon where you live. Rather than buying new clothes to put away for your wife have you considered putting back some of what she already has and wears that isn't too worn?  This way you already know that it fits and that she likes it.  So, maybe a pair of jeans and top disappear from a dresser drawer and she replaces them herself.  Then maybe the old return and the new replacements are tucked away....see where I'm headed? Let your wife do the shopping and you handle the tucking away. Just don't drive her crazy by stashing her favorites.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 11:22:15 PM »
I suggest you get her a good pair of work boots and at least one good pair of work gloves.  I have a very nice Carhardt jacket that I just love for hunting. 

As for pants, get her some ladies 5.11s or Carhardt pants.  I am short waisted and found the 5.11s fit me better.  Plus, they are my uniform pants for work so it kills two birds with one stone.   

If you live in a colder climate, get her a pair of insulated Carhardt coveralls.  When I lived in Virginia, I used them all the time in the winter to feed the animals.  Here in Texas, I don't need them. 

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 11:28:14 PM »
She prefers much of the guy's clothing because she feels that the stuff made for women seems to be made more for looks than for real use.  Climbing a 10' wall, taking a knee behind a barricade, low-crawling from one shooting position to another are all easier and less restrictive in the men's clothing, she says.

If you buy the UNIFORM 5.11s that are made for women, they are just as tough as the men's.  The 5.11 website sells the women's uniform pants, as does Galls and LAPoliceGear.  They are made for kneeling, shooting, accident scenes, etc just like the men's pants.  Most women can't fit in the men's gear because our proportions are different.  I like the ones for EMS the best because they have lots of pockets.  Our department is flexible about that.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 11:34:52 PM »
If you buy the UNIFORM 5.11s that are made for women, they are just as tough as the men's.  The 5.11 website sells the women's uniform pants, as does Galls and LAPoliceGear.  They are made for kneeling, shooting, accident scenes, etc just like the men's pants.  Most women can't fit in the men's gear because our proportions are different.  I like the ones for EMS the best because they have lots of pockets.  Our department is flexible about that.

Ah, but according to her, they don't fit as well as the men's.  Again, it's a personal call that's more towards the fit than the quality.  And, as far as I'm concerned, I'll support her choices unless it causes a significant, irreparable problem.

The Professor

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 11:51:36 PM »
Ah, but according to her, they don't fit as well as the men's.  Again, it's a personal call that's more towards the fit than the quality.  And, as far as I'm concerned, I'll support her choices unless it causes a significant, irreparable problem.

The Professor

Yeah, she is probably taller and better looking than me.  For us shorter gals, the women's pants fit better!  LOL 

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Yeah, she is probably taller and better looking than me.  For us shorter gals, the women's pants fit better!  LOL

I'm a blue jeans girl.  I just wear the older / out of style tops and jeans around the place.  I live at the bugout, hope to stay here when TSHTF.   Although I've seen guys in the community wear BTU pants,  that's not my style, no combat type fatigues around the farm per se.  Now, if things get dicey in the woods around here, that could change.  Then I'd become a "small regular" girl.

Can you just ask your wife to either pick out work clothes from her closet, or give her license to buy what she wants?

~TG

Offline MJWitt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 09:45:12 AM »
Big thanks to everyone for the advice and feedback!

I'd like to state that I'd love for her to find her own thing and what she likes.  I in no way limit or control her shopping (as if I could! :) ).  She is just a rare bird that absolutely hates shopping of any type, so that chore tends to fall to me for most items.  I am going to try and get her down to a store that has 5.11 nearby to try a few things on to see if she likes them, along with keeping in mind everyone's suggestions here.  All great advice and appreciated.

The advice about pulling old, liked, and used clothing from her wardrobe is great, but unfortunately as a side effect of her hating shopping, she doesn't have a lot of depth to her wardrobe, and working in the software industry, very few of the items are what I would consider rugged/reliable enough for emergency situation use.

In the short term I perused a few Goodwill stores and was able to fairly inexpensively obtain a couple pairs of sturdy pants, t-shirts, etc. that will allow me to get a couple emergency bags thrown together.  Now I can work on finding items that she can try on and hopefully find something she likes.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »
I can totally rellate to the "hates to shop" part. She might consider checking out the women's work clothes online at Duluth Traders. They are often running some type of sale or another.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
Another option for rugged women's outerwear:
http://www.berneouterwear.com/womens.html

Offline Eagles mom

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
I highly recommend Duluth Trading for both you and your wife. They have great deals in their outlet store, but even at full price, the quality is worth the price. Fleece and merino wool from Goodwill are really valued finds in our family.