Author Topic: Hunting rabbits (Finnish style)  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Mielikki

• Prepper
Hunting rabbits (Finnish style)
« on: April 08, 2009, 03:47:18 AM »
I'm not sure if this is familiar thing for you folks in the States, but this is something we here do quite a lot. When you are going to hunt rabbits, you are usually hunting in a forest you really know well, so you know where the rabbits are, where they move etc. So you get up early in the morning and go where you know rabbits are moving (they tend to sleep in one area and eat in other, so you basically catch them during their morning commute). You hunker down and wait. When you see one coming, you wait untill it is close enough, take aim, and then you do this:

http://www.videoita.fi/video.php?id=77

He is saying "huomenta" which means "good morning". Basically you can whistle, say anything you want etc. and the result is same. Rabbit stops, turns sideways and sort of stands up. Doesn't make sense? Yes, it does, for the rabbit at least. Here he is, minding his own rabbit business, no threat in sight. Then he hears something, what is it? Didn't sound too dangerous, but he thinks he should check it out. So he stops, turns sideways (rabbits don't see forward very well) and stands up a bit to see better... and you get to have some nice rabbit stew in the evening. Standing still, sideways and up makes the rabbit a bigger target, so this might work even if you can't shoot like Annie Oakley :P

If you want to try this out, there are some thing you have to do. First, you have to know where rabbits move and when. Second, you have to stay still. Rabbits are very sensitive to movement because anything that moves, might be moving to catch them. Third, you have to have approximate aim before saying whatever you are going to say, because he wont be standing there for long, he will bolt quite soon. Fourth, the thing you are going to say, has to be something calm, or said/shouted in a calm manner. Huomenta is a good thing to say, because it is sort of nice thing to say, it keeps your voice calm and non-threatning and keeps you in a good mood.

Just to emphasize that last point, here is a clip showing how it is not done :P

http://www.videoita.fi/video.php?id=84

Accipiter.wilt

Re: Hunting rabbits (Finnish style)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
Fantastic! Though I am a bit curious as to what type of rabbit that is. In southern Cali I see two types, jack rabbits and cotton tails, while the jack's look like the one in the vid I have found it impossible to get a bead on one. There's no end of dumb cottontails though. ::)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:17:28 PM »
LOL...in that second video he scared the bejezus out of that poor rabbit...it just bolted.

I want to know who trains y'alls rabbits to run down the middle of the road. ;D  Our rabbits don't do that....

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:36:39 PM »
Just got me a cottontail. Been years since I have eaten one!
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4764.0

Offline Mielikki

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:55:14 AM »
Fantastic! Though I am a bit curious as to what type of rabbit that is. In southern Cali I see two types, jack rabbits and cotton tails, while the jack's look like the one in the vid I have found it impossible to get a bead on one. There's no end of dumb cottontails though. ::)

They are European hares (these look like jackrabbits and they are bigger with long ears) and Mountain hares (smaller, more compact and these change color during winter, so the white one in that second video is one of these for sure). Next time you might want to try this method when trying to get a bead on jackrabbit, if you do it right, he shoud do exactly what they did in videos :) One nice thing about this is that you can finetune your method even outside the hunting season, just say something to them and see if they stop, no need to shoot them then.

LOL...in that second video he scared the bejezus out of that poor rabbit...it just bolted.

I want to know who trains y'alls rabbits to run down the middle of the road. ;D  Our rabbits don't do that....

They use roads when convinient, but the main reason for the roads in these videos is that it is a heck of a lot easier to get a camera on a tripod set up on road than in the thick of the forest :P

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:54:33 PM »
Now that is something I would have never even considered. Thanks for the tip and the video links!

Rhino

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
I enjoyed the video a lot more than I enjoy the taste of rabbit.