Author Topic: Replacing Carpet with Wood or Wood/bamboo laminate Flooring  (Read 9054 times)

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
Replacing Carpet with Wood or Wood/bamboo laminate Flooring
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:31:40 AM »
We are replacing the carpet in our bedrooms with wood or wood laminate or bamboo laminate flooring. 

Lots of choices.  We are doing a daughter's room first, she has dust mite and mold allergies.  We are looking for less expensive, but durable, less likely to scratch, etc wood looking flooring which isn't a major pain to install ourselves.  I have replaced carpet with ceramic tile without any major trouble, but want wood looking floors (less cold, less hard) for the bedrooms.

Please share any experience with this kind of flooring you have done yourselves, pros, cons.

Thanks

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
Re: Replacing Carpet with Wood or Wood/bamboo laminate Flooring
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:59 AM »
I have installed the "click and lock" laminate flooring in an office (now bedroom), hallway and dinning room.

It was not hard, except a few places around door jams.

What is your subfloor, concrete or wood?  If concrete there are "glue down" engineered wood now that you can use.

Lowes has some laminate on sale this week, $.69/sq foot. I might be pulling the carpet from my daughters room and putting in the laminate this weekend.

Keep a few of the extra laminate planks on hand and you can replace badly damaged ones, but I've dropped computer cases, hard drives and a few heavy items and barely scratched my laminate.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
watching. We may be buying a place that has to have all the floors replaced.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
If there is one near you, Lumber Liquidators is worth a trip.  Their price was less than half of the next best price!!

I did nail-down bamboo in my entire house.  It was cheap and still looks great 7 years later.  It definitely shows wear in high-traffic areas, but it ages with character--more like oak.  Definitely ages better than laminate. 

I used some of the click-together engineered stuff as toekicks on my steps.  It has real bamboo surface, but only a couple MM thick so it would not age well in a high traffic area.  The different brands look very different when installed by how they treated their seams (chamfered vs. square edge) but I think it is more of a preference than performance thing.  The click togethers will also float on concrete now with a pre-applied foam backer--so easy.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 12:42:44 PM »
We put down laminate floor in our old house back in 2004.  Generally easy process except in corners and around doors.  Lumber Liquidators had the best prices back then.   Don't forget you'll need to replace the floor trim to make everything look nice.  A chop saw is handy as well as a laminate floor kicker (we borrowed one from a friend).

Offline heliotropicmoth

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Nothing is troublesome that we do willingly" -TJ
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 02:47:15 PM »
Hey TxMom,

My fiance and I ripped up the carpet in the house we bought and jumped right into putting solid oak flooring in. No experience and on a budget. Well we almost killed each other but the floor looks great and we learned a lot. Here are the before and after pics:

Before

And After

We documented the process and I did a blog post on it. Check it out if you are interested:

http://littlecountryhouse.blogspot.com/2012/01/installing-hard-wood-floors-self.html

Lumber liquidators is where we bought the wood flooring. All said and done, with renting equipment like the nail gun and sanders, it cost about $550-$600. Since we were noobs (and still are) we spent about 50-60 hours working on it. I would do it again, and plan on it soon.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »
We took out carpet and replaced with an engineered hardwood floor in our last house.  It took a weekend to do the dining room.  We went with flooring from Lowes.  Clicked into place, easy peasy :).  It was more cost than laminate but less than full hardwoods.  Shop around you can find good deals and sales.  I will say if you buy something on sale get all you need ;).  Good luck.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:37 AM »
Thanks all, this helps.  Most likely we'll do some kind of laminate.  I have a couple of flooring shops, Lowes and Home Depot close by.  I do know that not all wear the same.  One place was showing me the damage an office chair did on laminate over time.  Worse on some than others.  I think the lesson here is to use some kind of floor protection under the chair.

No lumber liquidators nearby, but there is a discount construction supply place on the other side of town.  I buy my ceramic tile from them.  I'll check out their stuff.  Deciding whether to get enough for all 3 rooms we eventually want to do at the same time.  I'd rather not, more to store and may not get to the other rooms for several months.  I will check to see how long they usually keep same stuff in stock.  They still have the tile I put down many years ago.

@heliotropicmoth  That is a beautiful floor, love it, love hardwood floors.  If I had the money and time, if we were staying in this house many years, I'd have someone put that down for me.   (This house is now almost in the center of town, we are building on our 4 acre spot out of town next year or two).   

I have a cement slab floor, most houses here have such.  Talked to my daughter's architecture teacher yesterday (our kids swim together).  He used the laminate for much of his house, one of the cheaper brands at Lowe's.  He suggested I put down a vapor barrier (not necessarily the pricier stuff some sell to go under floors unless the box requires it for warranty) and get the kind with the padded backing stuff on the bottom.  And if we don't have a jack hammer for the threshold thingie between the floor and ceramic tile (hallway) he has one we can borrow. 

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:42:43 AM »
and the lumber liquidator website gives me a great way to compare the various kinds as I'm not familiar with the engineered hardwood.

Offline wraithe

• Survivor
  • Retired Navy nuke Chief
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
I ripped out carpet and installed laminate flooring in my living room and office. I bought some very inexpensive (49 cents/sq. ft.) stuff that I got on closeout. Installed a combination vapor barrier and pad under the floor. Since it was inexepensive, it took some persuading in the form of a rubber block and mallet to make the seams join up nicely. I bought a "laminate floor installation kit" from Harbor Freight for about 10 bucks that was worth its' weight in silver anyway (laminate floor kit). Primarily, it's got a metal tool to help close to the wall, rubber block to allow tapping (pounding) the seams tight without damaging the edge of the laminate. Hope that helps.

Herb

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:48 PM »
good job, thanks for the links all. i have to do this shortly myself.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
When we lived in the townhouse, I put down laminate flooring on the first floor.  Don't be afraid to tackle this job.  It is extremely easy to do.

You do want to have some tools available to you.  A table saw makes go much quicker and smoother than if you don't have a table saw
Plan ahead so that you aren't fighting with strange cut outs right out in the open.  And you don't want it to be at an angle where you can see it.  This is a floating floor, so it will expand and contract.  Don't make the edges go too close to the walls.  The molding covers the gap, but you don't want to have it contract to the point where you can see the gap.  Nor do you want it to be so tight against the wall that it buckles if it expands.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 06:19:22 PM »
Might want to give cork flooring a look. Installed it into a kitchen once and it looked great.

Offline wraithe

• Survivor
  • Retired Navy nuke Chief
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
Might want to give cork flooring a look. Installed it into a kitchen once and it looked great.

Lumber Liquidators has an awesome cork laminate click together that I plan to install in the kitchen and dining room of the new place once we're in it.