Author Topic: Sexist Auto Parts Stores  (Read 7048 times)

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Sexist Auto Parts Stores
« on: November 11, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »
RRRGH yes, I can in fact now confirm that this is a thing. I was a little wary when the guys at work started telling me stories about their sisters/wives going to the big box auto parts stores (Auto Zone, O'Reilly, etc.) and the sales clerks trying to sell them useless crap just because they're women and have silly little woman brains. It's usually some cheap item that won't do any harm to use, but is entirely unnecessary, like "spark plug grease."

Then it happened to me yesterday. Over the weekend, my turn signal light went out. Off to Advance Auto Parts I go. The guy at the counter comes back with my new bulbs and proceeds to tell me that I will also need some "grease" to install them and pulls a small packet from next to the register. I looked at him squarely and said "No. Just give me the bulbs, please." Fortunately he didn't protest and I didn't have to make a scene.

I get that sometimes it's just these guys trying to make more sales. But from what I've heard, it happens far more often to women than men.

FWIW, I immediately drove down the road to an O'Reilly store for something the first store didn't have and the clerks there were much more helpful and didn't try to sell me anything extra other than exactly what I needed. It really depends on the location. Just something to be aware of when shopping for auto parts if you're a DIY-er like me.

nkawtg

Re: Sexist Auto Parts Stores
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 09:51:26 AM »
Before you spout off about sexism, do some research.
Dielectric grease for headlights is a valid upsale, it keeps moisture out of the connection.

Is it legitimate - Yes
Is it required - No
Is it a scam - No
Is it sexist - No

Now if he tried to sell you blinker fluid ....

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:55:10 AM »
RRRGH yes, I can in fact now confirm that this is a thing. I was a little wary when the guys at work started telling me stories about their sisters/wives going to the big box auto parts stores (Auto Zone, O'Reilly, etc.) and the sales clerks trying to sell them useless crap just because they're women and have silly little woman brains. It's usually some cheap item that won't do any harm to use, but is entirely unnecessary, like "spark plug grease."

FWIW, I immediately drove down the road to an O'Reilly store for something the first store didn't have and the clerks there were much more helpful and didn't try to sell me anything extra other than exactly what I needed. It really depends on the location. Just something to be aware of when shopping for auto parts if you're a DIY-er like me.

Sad but true. I do a lot of our repairs (hubby handles electrical...I'm fine with the trade off - I have a healthy respect for electricity LOL). I needed to replace Ujoints. The clerk asked me what the turning radius of my vehicle was. Fortunately I've been around cars too much & I have a mouth...so I shot right back to him if he could tell me WHY he needed the radius I'd happily tell him. Seems he didn't care about the radius after that.... ughhhhhh

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »
Dielectric grease for headlights is a valid upsale, it keeps moisture out of the connection.

Is it legitimate - Yes
Is it required - No
Is it a scam - No
Is it sexist - No

Agreed, dielectric grease will keep moisture out. Moisture leads to corrosion, which leads to reduced or lost electrical signals. Very useful in areas like the rust belt for any electrical connection, but not necessary.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »
Before you spout off about sexism, do some research.

Is it legitimate - Yes
Is it required - No
Is it a scam - No
Is it sexist - No

Thanks for the clarification. I do live in a dry climate, so around here it's probably not critical.

It just really set off my bullshit detector after hearing several accounts similar to this. Probably an overreaction on my part...women never do that :P

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
Or a new set of muffler bearings. :o

nkawtg

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:15:47 PM »
Probably an overreaction on my part...women never do that :P
I can attest to the fact my wife of 40 years has never overreacted...  :jaw-drop:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »
The guys used to send me to the parts store while they continued working. Soon I learned and told the guys there was NO WAY I was going into a parts store without a 'sample part' to take with me so it did not take 4 million times longer to get the part than required. I told the guys that I get strangely harassed in the auto stores. They did not believe me..

UNTIL.... I had a Dodge Colt I needed a headlight for. I called the (well known)auto part store. It was my rig, so I did the calls, the guys were there in the home shop and were listening in.

I just wanted a headlight for a 1991 Dodge Colt. Pretty much run of the mill Dodge Colt. They wanted to know right or left. I told them drivers side. Then they wanted to know something else about the headlight.. pretty reasonable. Then they wanted to know something else about the car.. started getting weird, but Ok.. maybe they really did need that info... set the phone down and went back out for the second time to look at the car to get the info they wanted. Dutifully reported back over the phone. Then they wanted the VIN number.. which I also thought was fairly strange, but a VIN number does tell if it is 2-door, original engine size and other things to it, so I thought maybe they did need that number too, so I go back out to the car with pen and paper to get the number.. the guys were in the shop where the phone was, heard this whole conversation were now getting interested and started listening better. After I came back in and again dutifully said what the VIN number was, then the auto parts guy asked what colour my car was. I said, "What does it matter to what colour my car is as to replacing the headlight?" One of the guys in the shop then took the phone from me and said, "Get her the right &^%$-&^%# part and quit &^$#O with her."

Then, I was doing some shopping on a HUGE list with a VISA for a multi million dollar job for my ex-FIL. Same auto parts store. The one my ex-FIL's company did a huge amount of business with. They started messing with me, I called my FIL, he came down all pretty torqued and said "Pat"... and talked to him. Pat is the manager of the place. My ex-FIL said I was to be catered to by "PAT" and only "Pat" and to fill everything on my list now and forever more with NO ISSUES. Best place I ever got service at after that. And I do not think "Pat" ever held it against me either.

I am so glad I do have some mechanical experience on cars, as I have had oil change guys tell me I have broken differentials, need a new this, a new that.. and I know I didn't when I crawled underneath.

It is a known fact that mechanics often charge women for more things that don't need to be done on their cars than they would ever do to a man. In fact news reports have been done on the same car, once taken in by a woman and then once taken in by a man. The time the man took it in, little or no mechanical issues were found with it.

Cedar

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
It just really set off my bullshit detector after hearing several accounts similar to this.

As it should, they are trained to up sell regardless of your needs. Some of those items are useful for situations some are not. Here in, "It's winter throw salt at it!" land anything that helps reduce corrosion and stuck bolts is worth the $1-2 IMO.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
Parts dept catalog systems are ViN driven, meaning when the VIN is entered only the parts specific for that car are shown. On dealership computers they will even download the vehicle build date as some cars can/do have different parts depending on when they are manufactured during the model year.

For a light bulb you can do a manual  search by make and model and yes, he was just being a doofus and should've know it off the top of his head

1991 Colts came with either a Single sealed beam H6054 bulb or a flush mount aero lens with a replaceable lamp H9004 ( I think)

Asking for the VIN is normal and actually necessary as sometimes it's impossible to know what's in the car. Many times it's easier to get the original part number off the part or bring it with you

All kidding aside that's a disrespectful thing to do and a good slap to realign his head  is in order

For many years plain wheel bearing grease was used in sockets to keep water out and for anti rust of the spring & terminals, new repair sockets even came filled with grease

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »
Thanks for the clarification. I do live in a dry climate, so around here it's probably not critical.

It just really set off my bullshit detector after hearing several accounts similar to this. Probably an overreaction on my part...women never do that :P

They attempt the same upsale with me, and I stand up to pee.  (rhyme unintentional)

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:41:07 PM »
Ok .now I have had my chuckle for the day . A friend who is in the same business I am in (starter and alternator rebuilder  ) wife grewup in a junkyard. She built her first car out of that yard a part here a part there. We use to love to send her into parts house that didn't know her . Of course we went in first so we could watch. 8)
 But dielectric grease is good stuff. It saves a lot of headaches.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 04:07:16 PM »
I avoid AutoZone like the plague (they have a reputation for substandard quality parts), but at our local O'Reilly there's usually a woman at the counter.

I do remember being in a parts store once, and when they asked the guy in front of me what kind of car he had, he said a station wagon.  When asked what kind of station wagon he replied "Brown."  Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it myself.

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 04:18:11 PM »
I've got one on why some places are overly questioning.  My mom had a 1984 bronco 2 she got carpal tunnel so when the transmission went out and a neighbor knew a guy with a junk all the same other than it being an automatic. 

So we went to changing her 5 speed over to an automatic.  Would you believe the harness running to the tail lights was different.  Took us for ever to change all the shit out.  The automatic had tons of extra crazy shit.

Offline Shrekfingers

• Survivor
  • Been there, done that, have the T-shirt
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 03:43:22 AM »
and we (guys) get the same thing in Victoria Secret or at the perfume/jewelry counter at Macy's at Christmas time. We just have to be prepared before we walk into the "other" world.

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 04:18:01 AM »
I normally snake a bottle of hers and take a picture and be like I need 2 bottles of this.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 05:05:11 AM »
I normally snake a bottle of hers and take a picture and be like I need 2 bottles of this.

Smart move!

Offline Knightwalkr

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 05:45:15 AM »
At one point I dated a girl who loved Victoria secret went there window shopping all the time.  I found out went in one day and explained what I wanted to do.  I had an army of spies at that point.  They would talk to her and such and then report to me lol.  People talk about jealous women but I've found a lot will help a guy who isn't trying to make up for something make his girlfriend feel like she's the most important woman in the world.