Author Topic: Is there a "Simcity" style app for monetary systems?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Is there a "Simcity" style app for monetary systems?
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:23:23 AM »
Does anyone know of any fun/educational apps to experiment with creating different forms monetary systems? Something like sim city where you could raise and lower taxes, have alternate forms of currency, and even restructure/privatize parts of gov. I would enjoying trying to create my own libertarian utopia in an alternate reality.

It would be a fun way to learn about our financial system, and could even lead to a future role model for post collapse rebuilding.

Offline Theswerd

• Repeat after me...
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Is there a "Simcity" style app for monetary systems?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:28 AM »
Maybe it is because I have only played the newest simcity, but I am not sure what you mean exactly. Are  you looking at exchange rates and loans etc? Or just playing out how policy works on taxes etc?

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
Everyone is quick to complain about our government, without offering a solution. I was just looking for a way to try out various solutions in a virtual world. I am not a gamer and am not really familiar with the Sim games, but maybe the regular sim city game is what i am looking for.

It would be fun to create a city with a bi metallic currency standard, Low taxes, and minimal gov. Build Farms and other aspects of a self sufficent community. Maybe even redefine some laws.  Experiment with alternate methods of running a town.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 09:58:15 AM by Black November »

Offline shiftyer1

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 06:06:20 PM »
Maybe check out civilization?

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
there is a free civ   www.freeciv.org and a free colonization  freecol.org maybe

Offline gopack84

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
You can do this somewhat in Eve Online but the setting is Internet Spaceships. Still, the game allows you to create a corporation and the corporation allows you to set tax rates, etc. It is multiplayer so you MUST deal with the connivings and schemings of other live people who are probably at least 50/50 out to screw you over and take all your stuff. It's very cut-throat. Some of the bigger player corporations have thousands of members, spy departments, logistics departments, military, industrial. The game developer CCP, used to have an econ PhD guy on staff just to monitor the game economy, though I think I read he took a new job in the last 6 months or so. You can't really change the currency though. The game currency is ISK and that's always going to be king.

If you're wanting to just experiment with tax rates and whatnot in a purely simulated single player type environment, you can do that with the Civ games as mentioned earlier. I don't know of any game that lets you deal in multiple currency. It's just too hard to model and for a game company the primary goal has to be fun first. Or nobody buys your game. It does make me wonder though what kind of simulation tools the Federal Reserve and the various US Dept's of Being All In Your Business use. Seems like it's almost a sure thing they would do stuff like this.

A google search of "economy simulator" without the quotes turned up some interesting sites but I'm not familiar with any of the games first hand.

I remember the old Harpoon series of naval warfare games. I think the company that made that game ended up making a version they sold to the Navy for training purposes. That was a great game, but completely off topic. Sorry!  ;)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
I play eve online, I live in Hilmar system. I have a corporation I just begun called Shellback Rangers. I have 4 characters 2 on one account and 2 on another. Yes I love eve because of its real economy.

My main is Larry DGray, my 2nd main is Larry II LarryDGrayII