Author Topic: Financial advice from Mark Cuban - is he a prepper?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
Financial advice from Mark Cuban - is he a prepper?
« on: November 14, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
Here's a WSJ.com video interview with Mark Cuban.  For those who do not know Mark, he is a very successful entrepreneur. He was born of a working-class family and became successful through his tech businesses.  He is the owner of Dallas Mavericks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5Pp1HEKSPM

This interview was uploaded in Dec of 2011, but still contains some sound advice and some controversial advice.  However, listen to him closely between minutes 5:00 and 7:00.  He discusses buying in bulk to beat inflation and even uses toothpaste as an example.   "What do you do, store up?" asks the interviewer.  "Yeah, why not?  How much space does toothpaste take?" replies Mark.  He goes on to discuss first steps of money management and inflation for the average person.  To me, he is one of those millionaires who can still relate to us commoners.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: Financial advice from Mark Cuban - is he a prepper?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:24:51 AM »
I follow him on LinkedIn and like him of all the sharks on Shark Tank. Not that I regularly watch but when we do, I usually like his spin on things. From what I have read and watched, seems like a decent "rich" person.

Offline Rottenclam

• Prepper
  • Go Bucs!
Re: Financial advice from Mark Cuban - is he a prepper?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 06:09:39 PM »
I dont think he is a prepper as much as he actually has the common sense that so many of us in America (and around the world) seemed to have forgotten.

You know how Jack has shared that visual of your Grandmother receiving a credit card offer in the mail back in the 30s, 40s, or 50s?  How she would have just ripped it up, because there is no way that she should ever be trusted with $20,000 of credit, and that any company stupid enough to offer that kind of money probably should not be trusted either.

Mark Cuban seems to be very anti-debt and very common sense (which just so happens to be not-so-common these days) when it comes to investing.  I think part of the beauty of "Modern Survivalism", as Jack has outlined it, is that it really harkens back to the common-sense and conservative nature of people that used to make do with less, and these same people were very cautious with the yield of their labors.

There are whole episodes of TSP where Jack discusses the philosophy of 'not buying so much stuff', and there are certainly multiple episodes where he discusses debt-freedom too.  Mark Cuban is probably more aligned with those ideas than growing his own food, etc.