Author Topic: Realization today  (Read 7935 times)

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
Realization today
« on: December 10, 2013, 05:36:37 PM »
I wasn't really sure where to put this but wanted to share with someone who would understand.

I was driving in the car thinking about things I had heard or read the last couple days.  The Detroit bankruptcy being a biggie.  But it was barely a blip on the media radar... It has huge ramifications for people, lots of pensions lost and well it's a mess.  Anyway and I thought why aren't they making a bigger deal of this?  Why aren't people concerned about all these things going on?  Don't they see? 

Then I realized... They don't want to see.  They WANT to keep thinking that everything is fine and nothing will ever happen to them.  It might seem dumb to not realize this before but I guess it was an ah ha moment for me.

nelson96

Re: Realization today
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:18:35 PM »
First, very few people listen and/or read the media today.  Second, the media is so far up Governments butt that they guard what they say.  Third, the media people often don't get worked up over the same things we would because it doesn't effect them.  They still have their huge salaries, 401K's, and company supplied healthcare.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »
They WANT to keep thinking that everything is fine and nothing will ever happen to them.  It might seem dumb to not realize this before but I guess it was an ah ha moment for me.

Not stupid at all.  It is a deep insight that a famous fantasy book series is based upon.  It is called the "Wizard's first rule"

"Wizard's First Rule: people are stupid." Richard and Kahlan frowned even more. "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
I was driving in the car thinking about things I had heard or read the last couple days.  The Detroit bankruptcy being a biggie.  But it was barely a blip on the media radar.

It's a bigger deal in Michigan than it is in the rest of the country. I hear quite a bit about it from my friends back home via Facebook and saw it in the local paper when I was at my parents' for Thanksgiving. Even then, a lot of it's just speculation. The process is taking so long (as expected) that there's very little to report on day to day.

That being said, I do agree that many of the people that will be affected by it are in complete denial about it. They think the union will protect them. Yet another example of the need to be independently prepared when your primary backup plan falls through.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:00:49 AM »
Third, the media people often don't get worked up over the same things we would because it doesn't effect them. 

And the media is often told what they can and cannot write about. I keep seeing articles on BBC, CNN, ect which JUST hint at other things.. like "Hey, I really can't talk/write about this, but you REALLY should look into _________!"

Also look and see which 6 companies all our media is owned by.

Cedar

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
I will look into who owns media companies.  I was actually surprised to come across an LA times article speaking badly about the US and how they are failing to act with regards to Ukraine. 
I guess I thought the bankruptcy of Detroit would set a precedence and would therefore affect people more since it was the largest one to date.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding the implications of everything.  I know the unions are trying to keep pensions.  I guess to me it just goes to show no retirement is safe except being prepared :).

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:20 PM »
I guess to me it just goes to show no retirement is safe except being prepared :).

+1

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
I know the unions are trying to keep pensions.  I guess to me it just goes to show no retirement is safe except being prepared :).

I was IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) until I got laid off several months ago, and the company I worked for pretty much got rid of pensions.  I think you could still keep them if you were hired in with one, but they strongly encouraged workers to cash them out and get a 401k, and if you were hired in the last few years, they weren't even an option.

So it's pretty much everywhere for that.  Companies don't like long running financial obligations when they could be spending that money elsewhere.  And fewer long term obligations also make a company more attractive to buyers, which is probably why my former employer got rid of them and was bought out by Warren Buffett just a couple of years later.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 07:24:55 PM »
I watch Fox News Business and CNBC. They both covered the Detroit bankruptcy extensively. 

I do agree that the normalcy bias with the media in its presentations to the public is strong. For the most part they don't want to stampede the sheeple.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 07:40:41 PM »
Then I realized... They don't want to see.  They WANT to keep thinking that everything is fine and nothing will ever happen to them.  It might seem dumb to not realize this before but I guess it was an ah ha moment for me.

Good for you!  And not dumb at all, and that's the plan (gov wants everyone to think things are still just hunky-dory). 
I'm hoping there will be many more who have a similar "Ah-Ha moment" before things get too bad.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »
Sadly I don't think enough people will wake up.  I sure wish they would though. 

nelson96

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:17:21 PM »
It's good to have an ah-ha moment in times like this, for such a system to work an informed electorate is necessary.

We've all heard that before, but I was reminded again today and thought it was fitting for this thread.  It's sad how ill-informed our pubic is today.  Without becoming informed, how are we to even choose our capital representatives whom govern us?  I don't think even 20% of our citizens use any more criteria to vote (if they vote at all) than to vote on a basic assumption.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 04:45:06 PM »
I think people vote based on what they were fed sadly.  I'm sure I have had similar moments of wondering. 

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 09:24:55 PM »
I think people vote based on what they were fed sadly.  I'm sure I have had similar moments of wondering.

While I agree to an extent I've seen people's voting change when they became a government dependent.  In short, people vote their ignorance and their pocketbook.

Example #1:
The Obama youth vote cast their vote of ignorance largely based on what they were fed.  Now that Obamacare premium reality is kicking them in the teeth and in the pocketbook, his administration is losing their unconditional support.

Example #2:

I have known friends of the family and extended family members who were largely traditional GOP Republicans.  I have witnessed the politics of many change to neo-Marxism once they reached the age of receiving Medicare. Then, I saw them vote for more taxation of "the rich" and more big government so that the flow of government money to their own wallets wasn't threatened.  COI get reduced anyway but none will admit organizations like AARP sell their best interests and their liberty down the river time after time, after time.

nelson96

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 01:41:24 AM »
I have known friends of the family and extended family members who were largely traditional GOP Republicans.  I have witnessed the politics of many change to neo-Marxism once they reached the age of receiving Medicare. Then, I saw them vote for more taxation of "the rich" and more big government so that the flow of government money to their own wallets wasn't threatened.  COI get reduced anyway but none will admit organizations like AARP sell their best interests and their liberty down the river time after time, after time.

I've seen the same thing with friends after they got jobs with the State, especially my teacher friends.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
I was catching up on some older podcasts during the TSP winter holiday break.  It would seem to me that the TSP Sept. 25, 2013 podcast (Episode #1214) fits the topic of this thread very well. 

link:  http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/after-awakening

Offline Kansas Terri

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
I don't think it is National news any longer when a city goes bankrupt: there have simply been too many for folks o get upset! I am sure that the folks in Detroit care and care very much, but few people here in Kansas care at all.

Folks are worried about the health of their own communities, as so very many are now threatened! They are not going to spare the energy to worry about Detroit.

Offline MTUCache

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
I don't think it is National news any longer when a city goes bankrupt: there have simply been too many for folks o get upset! I am sure that the folks in Detroit care and care very much, but few people here in Kansas care at all.

Folks are worried about the health of their own communities, as so very many are now threatened! They are not going to spare the energy to worry about Detroit.
Well... yes and no.

That pain goes somewhere. Right now the Wall St. types are attempting to put it squarely on the shoulders of the Detroit retirees and taxpayers, hoping that the bond-holders are left as (relatively) scott-free as possible. There's no guarantee (or even reason) why it may end up being that way.

What if that doesn't happen? Who are those bond-holders? Sure, some of them are 1% executives and trust-fund kids. But most of them are just regular ol' folks, depending on that money to be there in their Mutual Funds or Pension Funds. They didn't pick which individual funds or bonds their money got shoveled to, they just left it somebody else's hands like they were "supposed" to.

We'd all like to think it's as easy as "us vs. them", and that Detroit's problems will be contained within the cess pool they've made for themselves... but it isn't. Your money got lent to that city. My money. Almost everybody's money, at least in part, got lent to these crooks and incompetents. Maybe it won't be as direct as a Kansas town going bankrupt because of Detroit, but I'm sure there'll be some police officer or fire fighter out there who will get the shaft, some union laborer or desk jockey who's wondering why they have to work an extra year before retirement.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
I will admit the less I watch of the news the less I worry about the state of things. But some of my reason for not watching news is I'm so busy on our new homestead with starting the garden, goats, chickens and horses. I have stuff to do to get us more self sufficient. Thanks for the podcast link. I will go listen later.