Author Topic: Single Stage or Turret?  (Read 19971 times)

nelson96

Re: Single Stage or Turret?
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »
Oh, one thought nobody's mentioned yet; you have a Glock, right?  If so, you'll need an aftermarket barrel to reload since the factory barrel doesn't fully support the brass.  I'm not a Glock guy, but from my understanding it's an easy upgrade that one of the Glock guys should be able to line you out on.

Do you have personal experience with the problem?

Click on this link and read quickly  ;D
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=reloading+.40+glock+bulge

Kidding aside, I have not reloaded for my Glock Gen 3 G22 (.40 S&W) yet but intend to and have heard that problems are mostly urban legend caused by fear and the need to sell after market parts.  If you buy in to the legend it sounds like you can eliminate the problem by one or all of the following. . .  Get a Gen 3 or newer, don't use lead bullets, clean your barrel, inspect your brass, don't load near the max.

endurance

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
springfield xd, it'll eat anything ;D
Good!  Love those bottom feeders.  That's what I have and it's easy on your brass, too.

@ nelson, I have a friend with the newest generation Glock and I've been with him shooting reloads and twice in the same day he's had brass blowout (complete case failure, gas escaped).  No damage to the gun (although it didn't cycle and the brass had to be manually removed), but it did startle him and gave him a slight surface burn on his hand.  I would definitely say it's not an urban legend given what I saw and the discussion with the range master that followed (who'd seen it a number of times with Glocks and cheap reloads (companies that don't inspect their brass)). 

Besides, the real money saving for reloading for me comes from reloading with lead, not FMJ.  If you make your own, you can cut costs even further.

nelson96

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
@ nelson, I have a friend with the newest generation Glock and I've been with him shooting reloads and twice in the same day he's had brass blowout (complete case failure, gas escaped).  No damage to the gun (although it didn't cycle and the brass had to be manually removed), but it did startle him and gave him a slight surface burn on his hand.  I would definitely say it's not an urban legend given what I saw and the discussion with the range master that followed (who'd seen it a number of times with Glocks and cheap reloads (companies that don't inspect their brass)).

I'll let you know how it works out for me  :o

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
I reloaded thousands of rounds of .40S&W for my gen 2 G22, 2x gen3 G23, and gen4 G27 and have no problem with the supposed Glock bulge.  I run then through my standard Lee carbide dies and never have an issue.  When I measure the bulge area just ahead of the case head, I find the diameter about .003" greater then the SAAMI max (which is, IIRC, .424"). 

This may make a difference in chambering a round if you use Glock shot brass reloaded and put into a different brand barrel, but I have not confirmed that with anything other than a StormLake and Lone Wolf barrels, which function fine.

I would not rush out to buy a third party barrel unless you really want one. If you shoot standard factory ammo, or load jacketed or plated bullets at medium standard pressures then you should have zero issues. 

I happen to reload hardcast lead bullets and have had no issues with lead build up in the Glock barrel, but some folks have seen an issue so proceed at your own risk.  The .40 in a Glock is not somethign you want to test the upper limits of pressure with.  I do believe the gen3 and gen4 barrels are much better supported and much of thee Glock-lore about ammo, bulges, etc are from the gen1 days.

nelson96

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
@ NWP
I have heard for more stories from people I know that have experienced what you have, than not.  Actually, I don't personally know anyone who's had a problem.  Common census is you want to be careful with .40 anyway and you should always inspect your brass when reloading anything.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 09:15:38 PM »
not sure if it's related, but my buddy has a 1st gen g19, i think, maybe second gen. he was shooting reloads and it blew out the side of the grip. not sure what the problem was, and he's been reloading for 20 years with no catastrophic failures. not saying he couldn't have goofed, but maybe it's along the same lines as what you guys are talking about? (fyi i'm tired so i only skimmed your posts)

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2013, 02:57:21 AM »
not sure if it's related, but my buddy has a 1st gen g19, i think, maybe second gen. he was shooting reloads and it blew out the side of the grip. not sure what the problem was, and he's been reloading for 20 years with no catastrophic failures. not saying he couldn't have goofed, but maybe it's along the same lines as what you guys are talking about? (fyi i'm tired so i only skimmed your posts)

Impossible to determine the cause without more info.  The vast majority of Glock Kabooms is from bullet setback caused by repeatedly loading the same cartridge.  the bullet slams into the feedramp and gets pushed back into the case if repeated enough times.  This setback dramatically increases the pressure and causes the kaboom. Or it could be from lead buildup, too much powder charged (double or otherwise), etc.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 05:15:55 AM »
i don't think it was set back as he reloaded the cartridge, loaded the round, and fired. i'm thinking it was more along the lines of weak brass.

i'm going to texas in a few days. they have an academy where i'm going, i'll check them out for reloading stuff. we don't have them in AZ. i doubt i'll find anything drastically different that my local sportsmans, but it would be nice.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
Some of that Glock stuff is overstated internet hype. As I understand, it's more of a issue with 40cal. My G36 (45acp) has never had any issues with brass. Leading the barrel is a valid issue though. A lot of the "Glock ka-boom" threads that you'll find on the internet are not telling the whole story, and are really old stories being repeated over and over.
Is it cause for concern? Yes, but you should always do thorough research before you load. Almost all firearm manufacturers don't want you shooting reloads through your firearm. Even Springfield.

That's another thing about reloading, always consider the source. That's why manuals are so important. There are some really good websites that have good info, but BE CAREFUL WITH LOAD DATA FROM THE INTERNET.
Unlike load data found in a published manual, internet info could come from anywhere, and could be a total bullshit story.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2013, 12:14:10 PM »
Impossible to determine the cause without more info.  The vast majority of Glock Kabooms is from bullet setback caused by repeatedly loading the same cartridge.  the bullet slams into the feedramp and gets pushed back into the case if repeated enough times.  This setback dramatically increases the pressure and causes the kaboom. Or it could be from lead buildup, too much powder charged (double or otherwise), etc.

+1 Good info to know.  Thank you!

nelson96

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »

Very true, and you can greatly lower your problems with .40 S&W by choosing a lower grain bullet. . .  Because of the deep-seated 180gr bullets, there is very little extra case volume left after powder and bullet are added to the case, resulting in increased pressure.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2013, 05:39:05 PM »
Very true, and you can greatly lower your problems with .40 S&W by choosing a lower grain bullet. . .  Because of the deep-seated 180gr bullets, there is very little extra case volume left after powder and bullet are added to the case, resulting in increased pressure.

so... either stay home with the girls and shoot a smaller caliber (like me ;) ), or man up and shoot a 45? is that what you're saying?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
so... either stay home with the girls and shoot a smaller caliber (like me ;) ), or man up and shoot a 45? is that what you're saying?

After watching my adult daughters shoot their G19s this summer, I aint arguing with 9mm. :D

nelson96

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 07:11:37 PM »
What's wrong with owning both?  My girls shoot either one better than me.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2014, 07:52:03 AM »
Oh, one thought nobody's mentioned yet; you have a Glock, right?  If so, you'll need an aftermarket barrel to reload since the factory barrel doesn't fully support the brass.  I'm not a Glock guy, but from my understanding it's an easy upgrade that one of the Glock guys should be able to line you out on.

My opinion,after much use:
After MILLIONS of loads have gone downrange,the aftermarket barrel does little ,besides less case swell and does not effect the Glock function significantly. You can have case blowout,but even after multiple reloadings it is rare,,more often case head separation in the high volume loader (it runs 5,000 to 6,000 per hour and stresses the cases a bit) is caused by "Glock Belly"