Author Topic: Stove and Cook Set  (Read 11114 times)

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Stove and Cook Set
« on: November 21, 2013, 08:34:08 PM »
Need some help...I'm trying to add a lightweight stove or cook system to my BOB that my family could use. I was leaning towards the Emberlit or Kelly Kettle.

As for cook sets I was looking at the Snow Peak and GSI.

Bad choices? Something better or more affordable? I don't mind spending some money on them, but if I go that way I'd like to get something that could be used in my BOB as well as backpacking/camping.

nelson96

Re: Stove and Cook Set
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
I too have been looking at the Emberlit and the Firebox.

Offline falcon5

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
I've used cook kits from nearly every manufacturer out there.  I keep coming back to, and expanding my collection, of GSI stuff on the lightweight end of things.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:44:38 AM »
I really like the Emberlit. Mikhail did an awesome job with them. And if I remember right, mine weighs 9 oz.
Where are you Mikhail? I have not seen you here on TSP for a long time.

I SOOOO wanted a Kelly Kettle for dogsledding.

Cedar

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:07:02 AM »
Emberlit Titanium.

You won't be sorry.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:10:19 AM »
Great, this will end up being another situation where I have to buy both ;)

Why is the titanium worth the extra $40? Just the weight? I'm leaning that way, but it might be nice to have two split between two people's packs. If one gets lost there is a backup and since I'll be cooking for a family maybe I could have two things cooking at once.

nelson96

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
Emberlit Titanium.

You won't be sorry.

I was thinking that will be the direction I wil go.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
Will that metal last longer? And how many times a year are you going to be using it?

Cedar

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 11:25:51 AM »
I bought the SS Emberlit (12.9oz) when Mikhail first started making them.  With the cross bars, it supports anything you'd want to put on it.  I've added a 1/8th inch plywood stand (two pieces that slot together) to raise a Trangia alcohol stove to a more useful height and improve the wind protection.  It's a lot lighter than the Kelly Kettle and more versatile (see above use with the Trangia for example).

For cook sets, I've used a Snow Peak set of small pots, but they were a little frustrating.  Yes, they're small and light, but they're a pain when I'm cooking for both my son and I.  I'll keep the small fry pan/lids, but I've since bought a Mors pot (1.8L, with lid, handle and bail - fourdogstove.com or Dave Canterbury's site) for camping.  It's big enough to purify a lot of water at once.  The side handle makes it easy to pour.  The bail allows me to hang it over a large camp fire for cooking.  It's anodized aluminum, so weight isn't a huge issue (I haven't weighed mine yet, but it feels plenty light).  I can pack the Trangia, a GSI cup, and most of my cooking stuff inside of it and the lid fits tight to hold it all.  One of the things that put me over the fence to get one was a video Dave did showing how to use it as an oven in the field.  It's a good piece of kit and I can see why Mors Kochanski loves the design.

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Will that metal last longer? And how many times a year are you going to be using it?

Weighs less and may be less likely to deform.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »
The Mors pot is listed as 2 pounds and seems large, but could be worth the weight. I really want to look into that one. Thanks!

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 01:08:29 PM »
Also depends on the number of people you are cooking for, and if you are just heating water to rehydrate food, or actually need to cook it.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »
Four to five people. Camping and backpacking will be a lot easier because I can pretty much take anything I want. It might not be enjoyable to carry extra weight, but a shorter duration and high caloric intake will make it manageable. What I keep in my bug out bag will obviously have to be simplified.

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
For car camping (since my son is the only that goes backpacking with me) I have the GSI four person cook set and it's nice.  Two pots with strainer lids, one fry pan (the large lid fits it), four plates, four "bowls" that nest inside the four cups and one pot holder.  Three or four pounds all together, but you could share that out in your group.

BTW - are these 4-5 people adults?  Are you packing cooking gear for all of them or can some be expected to bring/carry their own?  Feeding that many off of one Emberlit might be a challenge.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 03:56:55 PM »
Two adults, two children and possibly a septuagenarian.   My plan is to get two of those stoves anyway if only as a backup.

In thinking about it today the advantage I see with the Emberlit is you can keep feeding the fire from the side. I've never used the Kelly Kettle, but do you have to lift the system and place more wood in the base?

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 04:12:35 PM »
and possibly a septuagenarian.

If this person requires a big handle like septuagenarian, a light weight stove or two is the least of your worries out on foot.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 04:40:10 PM »
To feed the Kelly with the cooker in place is a PITA unless you have little straight pencil sticks to feed it.  I think it is Ghillie kettle that has a better cooker design, theirs hooks on the outside so the throat is open and you just lift the pan and drop the fuel in. 

Kelly wins hands down if you want to make hot water fast.  It may even be faster than a Jetboil.  They don't pack nearly as well, though.

I would carry the Kelly if you plan on mostly dehydrated food or you drink a lot of coffee/tea/hot chocolate.  If money is no object, I would buy the emberlit instead of the kelly stove adapter. 

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
   If this person requires a big handle like septuagenarian, a light weight stove or two is the least of your worries out on foot.

Chances are they won't be coming, but I don't want to totally exclude them from all of my plans. I'm mostly planning for two adults and two children.

I like the GSI, but it looks coated. I read some things online today that kind of turned me off to coated or nonstick pans.

The Snow Peak 3 piece and the Mors may be the first few pieces I get. I'm sure they won't be the last though.

I was worried about that with the Kelly. Do you think it would fit on the Emberlit?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:09:38 PM »
I was worried about that with the Kelly. Do you think it would fit on the Emberlit?

Miners used to use the Kelly.
and YES, it will fit on the Emberlit.

Cedar

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
Well, then maybe that's a mix. The Kelly could come in handy in the cold.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2013, 05:18:12 PM »
I just saw the Kelly in an emergency prep store and was shocked at how large it is. Maybe it comes in different sizes, but the one I saw is definitely too large for backpacking or a BOB.

Also spent some time at REI and saw the Snow Peak titanium cook set. Very lightweight compared to the other sets there, but could be a bit small for a family. I may need two of those as well.

The Snow Peak single walled titanium cup is very nice as well. Not sure if I'll go with one of those or a smaller TOAKS I found on Amazon. Is 450ml too small?

The Light My Fire titanium spork I ordered from Amazon is very nice and I couldn't be happier. I already ordered more :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
I just saw the Kelly in an emergency prep store and was shocked at how large it is. Maybe it comes in different sizes, but the one I saw is definitely too large for backpacking or a BOB.

They do come in different sizes. If I remember right, they originated in Ireland and miners used them quite often.

Cedar

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2013, 06:51:05 PM »
I looked on their site and the one I saw was 15" tall and 2 lbs. The medium is 10" and 2 lbs. I'll have to look around more.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 02:30:26 PM »
The medium and large are the same diameter IIRC, with the small being a LITTLE smaller diameter.  They are NOT small to pack.  If you have plentiful fuel and time, there are better options for packing (like the emberlit + snowpeak). 

The Kelly shines where dry fuel is hard to come by.  In damp conditions it will boil a quart of water in a fourth the time and with a tenth the fuel of an Emberlit (rough guess).  It will boil away in a sideways rain.  Basically, you can make a meal with what would be a marginal tinder bundle for a regular fire.  You can easily gather the fuel as you hike and put it in your coat to dry it out.  But you are carrying a lot of weight in the kettle to do it.

No single right answer here.  You pick your tradeoffs. 

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 06:09:05 PM »
Very true, and true of a lot of things in the prepping world. It is a very nice setup and I may get one for car camping.

Offline Paul E

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:42 AM »
I've done a lot of bike touring and have found a great cook kit that's light and cheap.

I use a 3 quart stainless steel mixing bowl - available at wal-mart for $5.  Use a pie pan as the lid.  I use an old bike cable as a handle - drilled two holes in the side.  The shape of the mixing bowl is great - no corners for food to stick in so clean up is easy.

I use a beer can stove to cook with.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage-can_stove   Pick up a 6 pack and have at it...

the beer can stoves use alcohol for a fuel.  You can use HEET ( gas line antifreeze - yellow container) as a fuel and it's available at most gas station. 

When it's nice out I make a tepee with 3ea. 4-5' sticks and hang the cooking pot over a fire. With a slip knot you can raise/lower the pot to be the right height.  A small amount of the HEET starts a fire really easy.

Store the cook kit in a plastic bag so the soot doesn't get all over everything.  The soot is good - black absorbes heat as opposed to reflecting heat as a polished pot does.  And don't forget to take a bit of sandpaper to the bottom of your cook kit - this will rough it up so it doesn't slide off of your stove of choose. 

I've used this system for years and it's the best camping pot I've found.  I have an arsenal of other cook kits that I spent too much money on....hope this helps.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 12:25:31 PM »
Four to five people. Camping and backpacking will be a lot easier because I can pretty much take anything I want. It might not be enjoyable to carry extra weight, but a shorter duration and high caloric intake will make it manageable. What I keep in my bug out bag will obviously have to be simplified.

Titanium is your friend ;D

Less apparatus weight = able to carry more food.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
I'm about to buy the Emberlit and wanted to confirm something posted above. The Stainless version is more likely to deform than the titanium?

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
I haven't had a problem with my SS Emberlit deforming from heat.  It might be easier to bend, but several camping trips have yet to do that.

BTW - got this from Emberlit (now known as Merkwares) a few weeks ago:

Free Merkwares pendent flint striker valued at $19.99 with the purchase of an Emberlit Stove. Be sure to add Merkwares "Pendent" flint striker to your  shopping cart to take advantage use PROMO  CODE: freestriker

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Thanks for the code! That will come in handy!

If you haven't had a problem it's probably not going to be an issue. Even if it deforms it shouldn't be to the point where it won't function.