Author Topic: Storing Meds? Mylar Bags?  (Read 2823 times)

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
Storing Meds? Mylar Bags?
« on: December 02, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
Now I'm severely lacking in the first aid part of my preps. I know I can store most meds longer than the expiration date, but can I extend that indefinitely by using the mylar bag/O2 absorber method?  For example, can I dump a bottle of Ibuprofen into a small bag (or even keep it in the package) then store it like food?

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: Storing Meds? Mylar Bags?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 02:30:54 AM »
BEWARE PRESCRIPTIONN DRUGS!

Dude, you're a cop, right?

I don't know about your state, but in my state (Massachusetts) you cannot carry your prescription meds out and about unless they are either:

a) inside the prescription bottle they came it with the label undefaced and all the data on the label perfectly intact
or
b) in a pill-minder

If a cop searches you and finds a little plastic baggie full of unidentified pills, he will ask you if they are prescription meds and if you have a legal prescription for them. If you say "Yes" and "Yes" he's going to demand you prove the prescription is 1) legal, and 2) YOURS and not someone else's. 

If you wanna set up a bug-out kit with your meds in a compressed space (in other words, you wanna save space so you ditch all those little orange bottles from the drug store) you need to include inside your plastic baggie a bunch of printed-out sheets of the prescriptions.

Fortunately, a lot of pharmacies are stapling flat sheets of paper with duplicate copies of the prescription label to the outside of your bag when they hand you the prescription all bagged up at the register. You can stick THOSE into your baggie and most of the more reasonable cops will be fine with that. 

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 06:56:32 AM »
I'm more talking about over the counter meds, since my family doesn't take prescriptions. But yes, it is technically illegal to carry medicine in another case, but no one is going to arrest granny with her pills in a MON-FRI plastic box. Also, if you carry your prescription pill bottle with you and/or prescription then you shouldn't have a problem.

Offline Trekker Dave

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:13 AM »
So the question still stands... can meds be safely packed in vacuum or jar/Mylar bag with O2 absorbers to increase the effective date range? (I would most likely keep them in the original bottles anyway). And I'm also talking about over the counter stuff like Tylenol or Aleve or Icy Hot patches...

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:57:02 AM »
watching

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 08:53:36 PM »
So the question still stands... can meds be safely packed in vacuum or jar/Mylar bag with O2 absorbers to increase the effective date range? (I would most likely keep them in the original bottles anyway). And I'm also talking about over the counter stuff like Tylenol or Aleve or Icy Hot patches...

Mylar, keep from heat and light. Most will last for many years past the dates.
 I have recently used Ibuprofen and cough medicine that was YEARS past the date on the bottle. I felt really sick, running a fever, and did not want to leave the house. So, I scrounged the back of the closet and found a box of old meds from our house we move out of in 2000. So, meds purchased probably 14 years ago, and just kept in the original OPENED package.
Everything worked as expected.
So, I would imagine if you took a little care, you will get many years past the date on the bottle.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:16:15 PM »
BEWARE PRESCRIPTIONN DRUGS!

Dude, you're a cop, right?

I don't know about your state, but in my state (Massachusetts) you cannot carry your prescription meds out and about unless they are either:

a) inside the prescription bottle they came it with the label undefaced and all the data on the label perfectly intact

If a cop searches you and finds a little plastic baggie full of unidentified pills, he will ask you if they are prescription meds and if you have a legal prescription for them. If you say "Yes" and "Yes" he's going to demand you prove the prescription is 1) legal, and 2) YOURS and not someone else's. 

It does not have to be in its original bottle in NC.

Also you are innocent until proven guilty............So You dont have to prove you have a prescription, LE has to prove you dont have one.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
     I can't see a downside to sealing meds in an airtight, opaque container (bag or otherwise). I would however be aware of temperature extremes in storage. If your kit is in the trunk of your car, I would assume that heat will degrade your meds pretty quickly, so rotate them out on an increased schedule. As to prescription meds, my thinking is that in a disaster scenario, cops aren't going to quibble over my blood pressure pills. If I'm in a routine traffic stop, and they want to empty out my G.B.H.B. on the roadside, I'm already inconvenienced to the point that having them prove that the prescriptions might not be mine, could be entertaining. I would think that the firearms I carry (legally and licensed) would be of more interest. I do agree that having copies of the prescriptions, along with the meds might not be a bad idea (I should probably start doing this).
     As to the Zip-Loc of aspirin, I have a friend who brushes his teeth with baking soda. He was pulled over for a taillight and had a bag of baking soda on the seat, along with some other stuff. Needless to say, he got a trip to the cop-shop. Maybe not quite so entertaining.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 12:31:33 PM »
     I can't see a downside to sealing meds in an airtight, opaque container (bag or otherwise). I would however be aware of temperature extremes in storage. If your kit is in the trunk of your car, I would assume that heat will degrade your meds pretty quickly, so rotate them out on an increased schedule. As to prescription meds, my thinking is that in a disaster scenario, cops aren't going to quibble over my blood pressure pills. If I'm in a routine traffic stop, and they want to empty out my G.B.H.B. on the roadside, I'm already inconvenienced to the point that having them prove that the prescriptions might not be mine, could be entertaining. I would think that the firearms I carry (legally and licensed) would be of more interest. I do agree that having copies of the prescriptions, along with the meds might not be a bad idea (I should probably start doing this).
     As to the Zip-Loc of aspirin, I have a friend who brushes his teeth with baking soda. He was pulled over for a taillight and had a bag of baking soda on the seat, along with some other stuff. Needless to say, he got a trip to the cop-shop. Maybe not quite so entertaining.
Major pharmacies and often smaller ones, will print a second, and even third copy of your scripts. My local even prints a 1 page list of the scripts, the doctor, dates, and a 1800 number where info can be verified.  I have them print the pain prescriptions in bottle size, then I stick them sticky back, to sticky back. Folder over once is about the size of  a credit card, I keep it in a my wallet. Then I put 1 days worth of meds in my pocket. I work with LEO, and while this is not "legal" eveyone agrees, they would not write it as a primary ticket, just note it is there was a different charge. With the black market price of some meds, some people could be walking with $20k in street value in its legal container.

There is a outstanding case where the local news paper (smaller town) printed the name  of someone with having Oxycontin, and a handgun in his car (making hime sound like a dealer. He was arrested for an outstanding traffic ticket, but that does not make a headline. His wife was beat up bad in a home robbery the day after the paper posted it. The local junky adminted he robbed the house after reading the article. He actually had a Google search setup looking for many 

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
Okay guys I've asked around and I think I have an answer. Medications do not loose their potency due to oxidation (right word?) like food. Its the chemical makeup that breaks down over time that causes it to be less effective. So basically, storing meds like food is just a waste of money.

Offline Oxymoron02

• Prepper
  • Caveat Lector
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 12:21:18 AM »
Some things degrade more quickly when exposed to light and/or heat, some to oxygen, some to moisture.  Some are more stable than others.  From what I've read ibuprofen is pretty stable (looking stuff up on the NIH site, seriously, all it said was "STABLE").  If you kept a sealed bottle away from extreme heat and in a dark place, I would feel comfortable using it well past the expiration (actually, I have).  By comparison, the NIH says aspirin degrades when exposed to moisture.  It can degrade to acetic acid, which you may detect by the smell alone (acetic acid is in vinegar).

If you want to wade through the NIH page, you could look up the stability and degradation weaknesses of particular medications.  I just keep with good storage practices (minimize exposure to light, heat, air and moisture) and rotate my supplies.
What Cedar said.

Offline SouthernIllinoisPREP

• Prepper
  • Let the Apocalypse BEGIN!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
I have talked to several pharmacists about this and they all said keeping the drugs in the original bottles, away from heat and sunlight, and packing clean cotton in the bottles that the drugs will last up to10 years AFTER their expiration date. I would say putting the bottles in food saver bags would prolong them even more.
"Politics is the art of controlling your environment." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Ronin4hire

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chance favours the prepared mind.
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
Id be more concerned about moisture causing problems for storage.
Many OTC bottles include small desiccant packets which Ive always saved.
Be sure that you "seal" the packages in the driest air possible AND include desiccants.
Also, wouldnt hurt to have them in opaque containers as sunlight may degrade some meds?
Generally Id package it like its commercially offered, seems logical?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 11:54:46 AM »
Throw them in the freezer.

~TG

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:06 PM »
@ policeprepper,

Perhaps this article will be helpful:  http://www.doomandbloom.net/otc-drugs-for-atc/

Note the 2nd to last paragraph:   
.    .....    To retain full potency, these medications should be obtained in pill or capsule form; avoid the liquid versions of any of these medicines if at all possible.  When storing, remember that medications should be stored in cool, dry, dark places.  A medicine stored at 90 degrees will lose potency much faster than one stored at 50 degrees. /quote]

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
Thanks!