Photobucket

Author Topic: New snow shovel design - I guess it's supposed to be good? Right guys?  (Read 1246 times)

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Some blogs are writing about this new snow shovel design. I thought maybe some of you might find it useful/maybe awesome? So I posted it. As a mechanical engineer, I like it when a better mousetrap is created.

As a person who has lived their whole life along the coast of California, I know very little about dealing with snow (aside from the occasional mountaineering trip that is) so I can't tell you if this is a better mousetrap or not.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2013/12/03/wheeled-snow-shovel-is-almost-as-good-as-a-blower/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001I7JWTO/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001I7JWTO&linkCode=as2&tag=oh010-20
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien
BOV: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg390358#msg390358
Prepping does not make you a special snowflake. Its just nesting...with guns.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
Re: New snow shovel design - I guess it's supposed to be good? Right guys?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 03:02:28 PM »
Of the six Simple Machines, I believe it is employing at least three all at the same time. :)

-- Wheel & Axel
-- Wedge (or is it the inclined plane? or is it both? and if it's both, does that make it FOUR Simple Machines?)
-- Lever

The employment of the Lever looks like a real back-saver. :) 
"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." -- self-made billionaire Richard Rainwater in his business analysis of Peak Oil, "The Rainwater Prophecy," Fortune magazine, Dec 26, 2005

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." -- CEO of Virgin Airlines, Sir Richard Branson on Peak Oil in CNN's investigative report "We Were Warned: Out of Gas" June 2007/May 2008 03:05

"We've got provisions and lots of beer. The key word is survival on the new frontier." --Steely Dan 1983

"... it doesn’t really matter who is removing your civil liberties, whether it is being done by a democratic government, a kleptocracy, a dictatorship or even the green police. When your civil rights are gone, they’re gone, and you really are in trouble, no matter how good the cause." --UK journalist Anthony Harrington, "Peak Oil and Collapse Scenarios," QFinance, September, 2011

Our parents used to say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of it."
And now our kids say, "Don't worry, the government will take care of us."

No food shall be grown that Monsanto does not own. (It all started with the disastrous 1980 SCOTUS ruling on Diamond v Chakrabarty. Petition your Congressman to revoke all patents on living things.)

"The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself." FDR 1937

The Tin Foil Hat Song by the League of Lady Conspiracists

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
oh nice...

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 04:47:20 PM »
I use snow shovels a LOT, and.....
I'll keep my regular snow shovels.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline AvenueQ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 06:52:57 PM »
I think it would work well for wet, heavy snow, which tends to clog a snowblower fairly quickly and is much harder on your back with a regular shovel. Shoulda bought my dad one for Christmas, he's always whining about the snowblower ;)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 06:53:39 PM »
...l
-- Wedge (or is it the inclined plane? or is it both? and if it's both, does that make it FOUR Simple Machines?)
The six simple machines are:

Lever
    Wheel and axle
    Pulley
    Inclined plane
    Wedge
    Screw

Of course, the  inclined plane, wedge and screw are very closely related.  ;)

On topic, I just wait until tomorrow when it has melted.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Kansas Terri

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:40:31 PM »
Very cool!

I notice that you can only fling the snow off going to the front, which would cause problems if the snow was, say, a foot deep.

Other than that I quite like it!

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:47:49 PM »
I won't be rushing out to buy one.  For one, if you have to push more than 6" of snow more than about 10' it's going to go over the top.  Second, it's worse than worthless for stairs.  Finally, for $140 I can hire my neighbor's kids to shovel me out of at least seven big storms and not lay a hand on a shovel myself the entire time. ;D
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:01:06 PM »
... for $140 I can hire my neighbor's kids to shovel me out of at least seven big storms and not lay a hand on a shovel myself the entire time. ;D
This is true! Ha ha ha! Endurance, the man of reason!
“I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.” - Faramir/Tolkien
BOV: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4645.msg390358#msg390358
Prepping does not make you a special snowflake. Its just nesting...with guns.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
The two flaws I see:
  • The blade should be straight across the back, not rounded.  Light snow will fall off the rounded corners, and heavy snow will push back against you as the shovel tries to force it into the curves.
  • How do you dump the snow off the blade?

Maybe I'd feel differently if I actually tried it.

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »
Where I live the sidewalks aren't even after years of freeze and thaw.  I could see getting this thing going at a pretty good clip, catching a raised portion of the walk and knocking the wind out of myself as the handle drove into my solar-plexis.  :o