Author Topic: Hydration for Running  (Read 1914 times)

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
Hydration for Running
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »
Well guys, after a month of playing the Zombies, Run! app (GREAT tool for people who want to start running BTW, HIGHLY recommended for a fun cardio routine), I'm getting tired of trying to run and drink water from a bottle, and trying to stick it back into the side pocket of a daysack is an even bigger pain.  It never bothered me when hiking, but trying to keep pace is harder when you've got a bottle over your head and are trying to hit your mouth.

So, school me on hydration for the new runner.  Runs almost never go over an hour, so I shouldn't need more than about 2L.  Any recommendations for an inexpensive system with room for a bladder and a small Android tablet?

endurance

Re: Hydration for Running
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
Ultimate Direction and Nathan are the gold standards for distance running.  They're ironed out a lot of the bouncing issues that you'll find with Camelbaks (which I really only use for hiking and mtb'ing).  While my solution is still a single or double bottle carrier (Katao for longer trips, Access Flow for short runs), their bladder systems are always well reviewed.  I still use an old Wingnut 50l pack when I want a hydration pack, but I'm pretty sure they're not in business anymore.  They were made from sail cloth, so super light, waterproof, reasonably durable and ultraminimalist.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 10:52:27 AM »
Man, I run with a Dakine daysack half full of various odds and ends, and a couple of half liter bottles stuck in the side.  As long as the thing has cinch straps, I'm used to a little bounce on my shoulders.  Most of my runs are right around a half hour, rarely enough to get any irritation.  Might have to look up some way to run a straw from a canteen in that and keep that.

I'll have to keep my eye out for those brands though.  Sometimes I manage to find great deals on last season's models clearanced out.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:40:17 PM »
I have run three Marine Corps marathons which means runs up to 20+/- miles of four hours or so in August on the typical training schedule. 100 ounces plus of fluids are not uncommon.

I use the basic CamelBak. Mine holds about 54-ish ounces and is not much more than the pack bag to hold the water bladder and a little zipper/elastic pocket for a incidentals. Drinking on the run is no problem. No bouncing issues.

If I am going to carry stuff, I prefer to have it on my back/shoulders rather than hips/waist.

If you are carrying a hydration-ready day pack, then it does not much matter what name brand bladder you use as long as it fits the pack's pocket and has a drinking tube.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
Problem solved, for now. 

Picked up a Nathan Triangle running belt with bottle holster (and 22 oz bottle).  All of $13 @ TJ Maxx.  Does the trick.  They had a couple of the handheld and belt flask systems pretty cheap too.  Might get one of those if I move into 5k races.