Photobucket

Author Topic: Have Crisco? Make a 45 day candle!  (Read 899 times)

Offline TexasGirl

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
Have Crisco? Make a 45 day candle!
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:39:16 AM »
I hate Cisco, always have.  I use coconut and olive oil for cooking, but would love some lard (from non GMO fed pork) some day....

But now I have a real reason to go buy a tub of Cisco!

http://snapguide.com/guides/make-a-45-day-emergency-candle-out-of-crisco/

It's recommended to keep the can sealed until ready for use.  A string wick can be stored under the plastic lid until assembly is required.

~TG

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
Re: Have Crisco? Make a 45 day candle!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 01:33:23 PM »
     Great tip! Grease lamps have been used since prehistoric times. I believe there is some evidence that cave paintings done at the end of the last ice age may have been illuminated by shells with twisted moss wicks, filled with animal tallow. The Romans made small lamps that looked like a gravy boat, that burned oil with a wick. A more modern version is the "Betty Lamp". Made of tin, more or less in the shape of a heart, They were filled with cooking grease, bacon fat, tallow, almost any soft burnable grease. Hung from a lightweight piece of chain, with a woven wick, they were smokey, stinky, but did give off a little illumination at a cheaper price than candles (which at the time were either tallow or beeswax).
     I like the double usage idea of the Crisco. You can light your kitchen while you make a flakey survival pie crust (or fry chicken). Once, just for fun, I found that I could make a candle out of a Chapstick and pocket lint. Without a source of light, most activities grind to a halt at sundown. I just finished butchering three deer from our whitetail season, and the amount of white, waxy tallow was amazing; inch thick slabs of it. Tallow candles are softer than beeswax or petroleum wax and have an unpleasant smell, but before the advent of petroleum products, natural fats, oils and waxes were highly valued. I have a large supply of modern and beeswax candles, but the Crisco idea is another one to tuck away for when it might come in handy.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
nice, I have been making bacon grease candles for quite a few years, I put the grease into used tuna cans add a cotton string as the wick and use plastic lids from yogurt container that fit over the top. they seem to melt at around 73-75 deg F so long as kept below that it won't spill. I keep in the basement and take them camping, not so good to keep in the car for obvious reasons.
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »
Does is smell when it burns?  Lots of soot? 
It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark.

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 01:02:51 AM »
That's sweet!!  Finally, Crisco's actually useful for something besides slowly killing us!!  ;D
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

Offline TexasGirl

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:38:55 AM »
That's sweet!!  Finally, Crisco's actually useful for something besides slowly killing us!!  ;D

Actually, Crisco was originally intended to be a stabilized burnable material.  Using it as shortening was a secondary marketing discovery.

Crisco burns with little soot, it's basically a soy candle.  If you use generic shortening, which may contain animal fats, you may see more soot.

~TG

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »
Actually, Crisco was originally intended to be a stabilized burnable material.  Using it as shortening was a secondary marketing discovery.

Ewww!  So glad I use lard. 

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
    • My 13-In-13 Page
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:41:40 PM »
 8)

Offline TexasGirl

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »
Ewww!  So glad I use lard.

Lard is very healthy.  I wish to find a source of pure lard from pastured animals.  I'm leary of the hormoned, antibiotic laden, GMO fed, commercial lard.

I'm sure many people reading this are saying "lard??  Yuck, no way!"  I'll post another thread with a video that exposes our manipulated force-fed view of fats.

~TG

(Here it is if you don't care to hunt up the other thread:)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ0WJOQzrgg

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 06:00:20 AM »
Actually, Crisco was originally intended to be a stabilized burnable material.  Using it as shortening was a secondary marketing discovery

~TG

Yep. It was intended as a substitute for candle wax (also soap making), but unfortunately was introduced at the time electric lighting was taking over.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »
     I see that a new law now outlaws the use of antibiotics in meat production, except in cases of actual disease, not just to increase fast weight gain. Maybe lard will turn into a health food.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:41:09 PM »
We get lard from our own pigs which are raised healthy.  You can can it to make it keep longer.  People don't know what they are missing out by using things like margarine and crisco.  Real food tastes so much better.