Author Topic: Christmas - Prepping Gifts for Women Ideas?  (Read 15302 times)

Offline mypcgeek

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Christmas - Prepping Gifts for Women Ideas?
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:02:46 AM »
So trying to get some ideas on Preps that center around women.  And go..... :)

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Christmas - Prepping Gifts for Women Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:17:07 AM »
That's not always easy & depends on the recipient. If she is totally into the lifestyle you may it easy. HOWEVER, I am into the lifestyle but my hubby gave me a range bag for Christmas last year & I was less than thrilled. All the gifts were "practical". I told him that I love canning, practicing on the range, gardening & (newly) learning about chickens BUT I would love ONE non-practical gift. With that said is there something the intended receiver wants to learn? Maybe a book or class on a new ability? Sign them up for Appleseed or a canning class (sometimes local extension agencies give these).  Maybe a fishing pole and beginners book on fishing. I tend to give "themed" gifts so if a friend of mine is interested in beekeeping I would buy them some local honey, a book on bees and some sort of tool that would be of value to a bee keeper. Does your recipient have a hobby or a skill that she does now that could be a prepper task? Really, the sky is the limit.

Offline mypcgeek

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:25:53 AM »
She is really just going with my flow on the Prepping..lol  Slowly starting to open her eyes.  However, she does loves guns and shooting. I was thinking like a carry bag holster and some pepper spray to keep with her and around the house.

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
My wife would like any prepping gift that I would like for myself, but a good husband knows that every woman likes a non practical gift too.  One that proves you listen to them and know what their individual interests are.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
Any major practical gift should be cleared with the recipient.  Most women either love or hate getting very practical gifts!  I you go the practical route spend the time and extra money to get exactly what she wants or at least in her favorite colors and style.   Do not wait till the last minute to do this.

If she loves shooting a high quality pair of electronic ear muffs would make a great gift.  I received a pair from my husband for Christmas one year and I use them all the time.   If you go with a carry bag have her pick it out!  Styles vary and they are not cheap.  You are better off not surprising her with the style on this one.  Women can be very picky about purses.   A good carry purse generally runs over $100.   Check Galco, the NRA store, and the Well Armed Women for purses.  The Well Armed Woman has a great selection of ladies themed gifts that would be great for a woman shooter. 
http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/store

With practical gifts I would see what she might be interested in.  Lee Valley tools has wonderful gardening tools if she is into gardening.   My Christmas wish list will mostly be from here....
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/Index.aspx

Canning supplies are a good one if she cans.  I gave my Mother in law a Stainless steel wide mouth funnel as a stocking stuffer and she uses it all time.  A canning lid rack is a canning tool my friends always comment on and would make a nice gift.  (Yes I have friends I can with. )
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-605-Canning-Lid-Rack/dp/B0000CF39X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1383234214&sr=1-1&keywords=canning+lid+rack

If you want to mix practical and fun gifts make a Self Rescuing Princess gift basket.  We do this as a raffle each year for a SAS fundraiser.  The basket includes things like shooting accessories, a knife, pepper spray, first aid kit for the car, chocolate, jewelry, wine, spa gift certificate, fancy soaps, and ammo all in a range bag as the basket.   Of course you would add fun gifts that you know she would like.  Think Geek does have a Self Rescuing Princess T shirt too.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b3e7/?itm=adwords_labelsT-Shirts_%26_Apparel_and_adwords_labelsRegular_Price&rkgid=1132043876&cpg=ogtee1&source=google_tees&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLzJ88-4wboCFcid4AodV04AvQ

Any hobbies she is always a good gift idea.  Many of them can be useful a a prepper skill.  See if you can add a prepper theme to an existing hobby. 

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
Good advice there, CraftyGirl. Purely practical gifts sometimes yield a less than stellar reception.

I would also suggest you consider multiple small gifts as opposed to one big one.

How about putting together a bunch of seeds (flowers, favorite veggies, herbs) and inexpensive gardening tools to make a little gardening kit? Sure, that's prepping, but it is also fun and you could hand package everything all special. Oh and a lot of that stuff is even on sale at hardware stores now 8).

A holster is a good idea too, provided you know how she carries.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »
Everything PorcupineKate said!!   :)  That might become my Christmas list....

Offline mypcgeek

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »
My wife would like any prepping gift that I would like for myself, but a good husband knows that every woman likes a non practical gift too.  One that proves you listen to them and know what their individual interests are.

I listen and I think I am a outstanding husband and my wife can vouch for that. :) This was more for some ideas for someone that is slowly getting into prepping and a fun activity for everyone since Christmas is right around the corner.   

nelson96

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
I listen and I think I am a outstanding husband and my wife can vouch for that. :) This was more for some ideas for someone that is slowly getting into prepping and a fun activity for everyone since Christmas is right around the corner.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you weren't.  What I was really saying is be careful what opinions you accept if you want to make the biggest impact. . . .  Every woman is different IMO.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »

Sounds like you got the point, I'm glad you won't end up in the dog house this winter!  ;D

What about a magazine subscription? I recently subscribed to Backwoods Home Magazine and have found it really enjoyable. There are a lot of cool prepping topics inside (home brewing cider, home security, gardening, preserving etc.) and often a firearms article.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »
I have also (finally) learned that it isn't just the stuff.

For example, my wife wants an outdoor kitchen for canning.  Just buying a couple rocket stoves and a stainless table won't do it.  It is doing the WORK to go from just cool stuff to a working kitchen.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »
Sounds like you got the point, I'm glad you won't end up in the dog house this winter!  ;D

What about a magazine subscription? I recently subscribed to Backwoods Home Magazine and have found it really enjoyable. There are a lot of cool prepping topics inside (home brewing cider, home security, gardening, preserving etc.) and often a firearms article.

last year I got my husband the Backwoods Home anthology and a subscription for his birthday.  He loved it! 

Urban Farm is a great beginner gardener magazine.  It is ideal for those just getting into gardening with limited space. 

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:44 AM »

I would not recommend buying a holster for your wife even if you know how she carries.   Most  holsters are not built for people with curvy figures and short torsos.   A gift certificate to take her shopping for a holster is a better idea so she can try it on before you buy it.   

Offline mypcgeek

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:53:02 AM »
Any major practical gift should be cleared with the recipient.  Most women either love or hate getting very practical gifts!  I you go the practical route spend the time and extra money to get exactly what she wants or at least in her favorite colors and style.   Do not wait till the last minute to do this.

If she loves shooting a high quality pair of electronic ear muffs would make a great gift.  I received a pair from my husband for Christmas one year and I use them all the time.   If you go with a carry bag have her pick it out!  Styles vary and they are not cheap.  You are better off not surprising her with the style on this one.  Women can be very picky about purses.   A good carry purse generally runs over $100.   Check Galco, the NRA store, and the Well Armed Women for purses.  The Well Armed Woman has a great selection of ladies themed gifts that would be great for a woman shooter. 
http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/store

With practical gifts I would see what she might be interested in.  Lee Valley tools has wonderful gardening tools if she is into gardening.   My Christmas wish list will mostly be from here....
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Garden/Index.aspx

Canning supplies are a good one if she cans.  I gave my Mother in law a Stainless steel wide mouth funnel as a stocking stuffer and she uses it all time.  A canning lid rack is a canning tool my friends always comment on and would make a nice gift.  (Yes I have friends I can with. )
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-605-Canning-Lid-Rack/dp/B0000CF39X/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1383234214&sr=1-1&keywords=canning+lid+rack

If you want to mix practical and fun gifts make a Self Rescuing Princess gift basket.  We do this as a raffle each year for a SAS fundraiser.  The basket includes things like shooting accessories, a knife, pepper spray, first aid kit for the car, chocolate, jewelry, wine, spa gift certificate, fancy soaps, and ammo all in a range bag as the basket.   Of course you would add fun gifts that you know she would like.  Think Geek does have a Self Rescuing Princess T shirt too.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/b3e7/?itm=adwords_labelsT-Shirts_%26_Apparel_and_adwords_labelsRegular_Price&rkgid=1132043876&cpg=ogtee1&source=google_tees&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CLzJ88-4wboCFcid4AodV04AvQ

Any hobbies she is always a good gift idea.  Many of them can be useful a a prepper skill.  See if you can add a prepper theme to an existing hobby.

I really like the Basket Kate. 

Thanks for everyone's Ideas!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 06:59:20 AM »
As gifts, especially if your sneaking a prep item under someone's radar, I'm a big fan of LTS soup and sauce mixes. The personal touch of putting the ingredients together yourself, making them look all artsy homey by layering in mason jars and using accoutrements such as cut fabric lid covers, ribbons, ingredient cards and cooking instructions adds a great "You took the time to do this for me?" touch. On the ingredients card you just happen to show what a great shelf life the mix has. I also vacuum seal them with the FoodSaver.

Don't tell the menfolk I do things like this.  ;D

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 08:02:23 AM »
She is really just going with my flow on the Prepping..lol  Slowly starting to open her eyes.  However, she does loves guns and shooting. I was thinking like a carry bag holster and some pepper spray to keep with her and around the house.

I would suggest a women's only defensive firearms class.  Not certain what region of the country you are in but in the winter these courses can often be found in warmer regions and can double as a mini-vacation.

On the carry bag, IMO, purses/bags are a personal taste. The quality holster purses can run some serious money so if you purchase one as a gift make certain she can exchange or return it if it doesn't suit her sense of style.  I prefer Galco or Coronado Leather because they are quality built for years of use and abuse; however, they are far from the cutting edge of fashion.

I'm big on adult education so I lean towards that as primary prepper material as opposed to "stuff".   You could look into classes offered by your county extension center or your local botanical gardens that the two of you can take together.  The knowledge gained is always there whereas stuff wears out. And, if you take courses together it is quality time spent together.  Is there a better Christmas gift that time spent together building both knowledge and memories?

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 11:11:11 AM »
What an interesting question!

If she is a prepper too, then I'd look for gifts that either support/extend her present skill sets, or any skill sets she is interested in.  Canning equipment, cast iron or manual cooking items, shooting acessories, sewing items, gardening items, knitting stuff-whatever.  Also you can add to her prepping "wardrobe" with good boots, clothing etc.

If she isn't really into prepping the you can not only support her current hobbies that might be prepping related, but also do a few more sub erosive things--like buying boots or clothes that are classic and quality that she can wear now but could be useful later-for example a pair of nice wool dress pants could be worn for nice, but the wool is also just generally warm and can last for yeArs.  Or a nice pair of leather boots that are on trend right now but that would be decent for walking in.

Another angle for the non prepper woman is to buy her additional supplies of beauty items that she already uses-lotions, shampoos, soaps, even makeup --so you'd be starting almost a mini stockpile of the items she already uses and loves.  If she's the kind who'd be willing to try it you could also do a real safety razor with replacement blades too.

Don't forget that non powered entertainment options can also be part of prepping--board games, puzzles, cards and a book of card games, crossword/suduko books, novels...

And if you wanted to go high end, what about either a kinetic or winding watch?

Offline CraftyGirl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »
Good advice there, CraftyGirl. Purely practical gifts sometimes yield a less than stellar reception.

I would also suggest you consider multiple small gifts as opposed to one big one.

How about putting together a bunch of seeds (flowers, favorite veggies, herbs) and inexpensive gardening tools to make a little gardening kit? Sure, that's prepping, but it is also fun and you could hand package everything all special. Oh and a lot of that stuff is even on sale at hardware stores now 8).

Thanks CTyler7. I have to say I surprised MYSELF at my less than stellar reaction. I guess since everyday is a prep day...Christmas seems like the one day I want something personal/fun.  I love your gardening ideas. That's next on my list to learn and certainly is an inexpensive but great prep to learn.

Offline craftyam

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »
My husband for years has wanted to get "us" a set of new cookware for Christmas. So far I have resisted, lol, for 27 years. But listening to chef Keith Snow I might have to put a good set on the prep list. But not on the birthday or Christmas list.  I like more personal things or things I want.  To be more helpful to family I make a list of things I am interested in.  I have had those presents that I was not too thrilled with.
To be honest though, a couple of years ago I did ask for a bread machine for my birthday.  Then was promptly told now I "had" to make all the bread for the family. :-\ I did for quite awhile but am now trying paleo and it is painful to cook bread and not eat it.
Good luck

Offline xmascolors

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Survivor-Kid
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 08:28:43 AM »
For a more expensive gift, how about an iPod and solar charger? I used to be snowed in and isolated for at least a week every winter. After a few days, the neighborhood kids would be bored and would come to my house to listen to audio books on my battery operated iPod speaker. We would curl up around the wood stove, drink hot chocolate and listen to a book. It was a real treat to have entertainment.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »
I just saw this on PrepHappy.com The article was titled 9 sneaky gifts for Non-Prepper Cooks.   This woman is brilliant.  Most of the gifts suggestions were appealing and would be a sneaky way to give practical prepping gifts to someone who thinks you are a kook for prepping.  Shhhh.  Don't tell them it's a prepper gift. ;)

http://prephappy.com/prepping/9-sneaky-gifts-for-non-prepper-cooks/

Maybe she'll write a future article that isn't focused on cooking stuff. 

nelson96

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »
I bought my wife something she would never buy herself, an enameled cast iron braiser.

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »
There are some great gift ideas here!  I will agree with many of the posters that it is very dependent on the lady in question.  Some love practical and some don't.  Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »
I bought myself a chainsaw for Christmas.

nelson96

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 06:37:13 PM »
I bought myself a chainsaw for Christmas.

Firewood to keep the wife warm, perfect idea.

Offline HawthorneCA

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 09:00:56 PM »
I LOVE it when my husband gives me the gift of time and/or sleep.  He will often print up a "gift certificate" on the computer stating that he will take our daughter to school every day for a week (she has to be there at 6:45 am) or he will change the litter boxes every week for a month, etc.  Figure out something that she does 100% of the time but doesn't really enjoy doing and give her a vacation from it for a short while.  Consider the prepping part of it as you learning a new skill and strengthening relations with your wife!  Trust me.  Volunteering to take care of trash duty for a month will win you a lot more brownie points than a couple of flats of canning jars.  It's cheaper too!  ;)

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 07:15:43 AM »
I LOVE it when my husband gives me the gift of time and/or sleep.  He will often print up a "gift certificate" on the computer stating that he will take our daughter to school every day for a week (she has to be there at 6:45 am) or he will change the litter boxes every week for a month, etc.  Figure out something that she does 100% of the time but doesn't really enjoy doing and give her a vacation from it for a short while.  Consider the prepping part of it as you learning a new skill and strengthening relations with your wife!  Trust me.  Volunteering to take care of trash duty for a month will win you a lot more brownie points than a couple of flats of canning jars.  It's cheaper too!  ;)

Great ideas!