Author Topic: 299 Days: The Change of Seasons (Book Seven) - book discussion [SPOILER ALERT]  (Read 18163 times)

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
Anyone gonna start the thread up top? Or am I the only nerd that finished the book the same day it came out lol?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Anyone gonna start the thread up top? Or am I the only nerd that finished the book the same day it came out lol?

Huh? ???
I don't understand your comment.  As far as I know (and I just checked) the newest book hasn't been released yet.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
I just got the notice,  It is out today!  YYippiiiieee.  Got  mine.

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
It came out yesterday. Prepper Press did a poor job at marketing its release date. Hell, its not even on the 299days.com website as released...I found out on a Facebook post by Glenn.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
I just got the notice,  It is out today!  YYippiiiieee.  Got  mine.

Can you provide a link to where you got it?  I'm on Amazon right now and I don't see it.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Never mind.  It wasn't coming up when I using the search 299 days.  (all the other books did)  But it did come up when I searched for Seasons of Change.  Ordering right now....

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
It came out yesterday. Prepper Press did a poor job at marketing its release date. Hell, its not even on the 299days.com website as released...I found out on a Facebook post by Glenn.
I got the notice form prepper press websight.  I couldn't find it on amazon,  I had to link from prepper press.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
How did you get through it so fast.  Day off? Unemployed? Is it really short?  Are you a reading freak?

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
How did you get through it so fast.  Day off? Unemployed? Is it really short?  Are you a reading freak?

Its short...about the same length as The Visitors (the shortest I believe of all the books). Glenn's writing style is easy to read, compared to many other authors I read. I bought the book 20 minutes after the release was announced on Facebook, but I didn't start reading until 3:00pm. I was at work, and it was my friday and slow, so I was able to get through 1/2 of the book in 3 hours (broken up due to answering calls). Then I read the other half later that night in about 2 hours. All in all, it was probably 3.5-4 hour read. I also read and comprehend insanely fast compared to 99% of the people I know. I used to finish Robert Jordan's books in 3 days (they were all around 900 pages, small type, and a higher grade level writing style).

I won't review it or ruin it (definitely won't give spoilers) until the sticky thread is made.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
link worked for me. Can't wait to read it.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Its short...about the same length as The Visitors (the shortest I believe of all the books). Glenn's writing style is easy to read, compared to many other authors I read. I bought the book 20 minutes after the release was announced on Facebook, but I didn't start reading until 3:00pm. I was at work, and it was my friday and slow, so I was able to get through 1/2 of the book in 3 hours (broken up due to answering calls). Then I read the other half later that night in about 2 hours. All in all, it was probably 3.5-4 hour read. I also read and comprehend insanely fast compared to 99% of the people I know. I used to finish Robert Jordan's books in 3 days (they were all around 900 pages, small type, and a higher grade level writing style).

I won't review it or ruin it (definitely won't give spoilers) until the sticky thread is made.
Looks like I was half right. A reading freak and a short book. :o

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
It came out on Kindle Monday IIRC, and Tuesday on Amazon.

Offline MrThirteen

• Survivor
    • Thirteensworld
Just d/l'd myself I have been waiting sooo long for this book!

Offline Ken325

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Winter is Coming"
Just finished it.   I was looking forward to it after the cliff hanger in the last book.  I enjoyed it but you always want more.  I skimmed over some of the side story stuff.  I will re-read that eventually.  I will give it a good review but I wish some of the plot lines were moved more than in this book. Looks like a lot will happen in the next book.

Hope that wasn't a spoiler.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
I'm kind of afraid to read it. Because:

I was priveledged to get to proof read it!

Typos drive me nuts and I hope I caught them all!

Argh!

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
And evidently I spelled priveleged wrong!

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
I'm kind of afraid to read it. Because:

I was priveledged to get to proof read it!

Typos drive me nuts and I hope I caught them all!

Argh!

I saw one, but I think it was a formatting issue, not grammatical.

Bonnieblue2A

Just downloaded it onto my Nook.  May be snowed in by tomorrow night so I'll have nothing better to do but to bake Christmas sweets and read book 7.

Offline jhop

• Prepper
  • MSB member
Awesome!  This is going to be my weekend read! ;D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
I woke up and found this available for sale:

Kindle version:
http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-The-Change-Seasons-ebook/dp/B00H7H1VFC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386953906&sr=8-1&keywords=299+Days%3A+The+Change+of+Seasons+%5BKindle+Edition%5D

Paperback version:
http://www.amazon.com/299-Days-Change-Seasons-Volume/dp/0615934781/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386954189&sr=8-2&keywords=299+Days%3A+The+Change+of+Seasons

I just bought it at the beginning of my work day, and haven't even cracked it open yet.

I very much like the cover for a few reasons:
* There's an AR15/M16 on the cover
* Map of Puget Sound where I live
* According to the red marker, I live just on the edge of Lima controlled terrirtory - which will be of strategic importance later in the series  ;) :-X ???

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
oooo thaatt nancy ringman!!!   what a  bee ouch    sorry to  ooffeend  but she is!     

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
I thought that part about Nancy was over the top. Would I put it past a corrupt government killing a bunch of prisoners they can't feed? No, but I think they'd be more subtle about it, like using an accident....or terrorist attack.

Offline ADK Dave

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Darn! Another quick read and now I'm waiting for book eight! When's it come out????? ;-)

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
Yeah!

Make with book 8 or i'm sending the boys around..... ;)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
I thought that part about Nancy was over the top. Would I put it past a corrupt government killing a bunch of prisoners they can't feed? No, but I think they'd be more subtle about it, like using an accident....or terrorist attack.

I agree, I thought it was over the top, as well.  That's something that should have developed over a long period of time, not just, "Boom, here's a chapter on a Lima mass murder."  Doesn't wash.

Offline Cylon

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bashing the bush all over WA.
I agree, I thought it was over the top, as well.  That's something that should have developed over a long period of time, not just, "Boom, here's a chapter on a Lima mass murder."  Doesn't wash.

I hear what you guys are saying but my impression was that the speed of the chapter was deliberate. It came across to me that the callousness and uncaring nature of the Lima government which are amplified by Nancy's psychopathic tendencies towards dehumanising the "tea baggers" were extremely reminiscent of the concentration camp commandants during world war 2. In fact some of the testimony that I read/saw at the Washington Holocaust museum.

I'm sure that parallel was deliberate too. ;)

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
I don't know if you guys thought the same way, but this book was somewhat forgettable. It was the shortest, or 2nd shortest, of the 7 and feels like it should have been combined with book 8 (depending on what book at has in store for us). Even the Nancy Rigman chapter seemed like a cutaway scene, to be followed up by another 10 chapters.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Finally finished this last night.  Had a goofy personal schedule since buying the book. Anyhow...

I almost wish I had a chapter listing handy so I could paste here and comment on each.

Chapter to chapter, this book didn't flow.  While there was a developing plot thread about the "civil war" build up, if the chapters were not numbers and thrown in a pile, I bet few of us could correctly order them.

The good:

Within some of the chapters there was excellent content.  I really did enjoy the fresh perspective (was it Todd?) of the yuppie Bellevue couple.  I work in Bellevue, and was particularly interested in the mindset of the local population.  I also enjoy reading about resourceful tips and tricks that appear across the story.

The bad:

I personally didn't care for the military leadership/morale content.  The tone came off self-important like "look how awesome Grant is running things".  "Grant is a natural badass military leader".
The reason I didn't like that was because it was neither instructional, or interesting to me.  Basically I read prepper fiction for 2 reasons:  1) to be entertained  2) to educate myself

The final Nancy Pigman chapter was ridiculous.  Aside from comments already made in this thread, where the hell did the Lima Fcorp death squads score all the .22lr?   We haven't been able to reliably purchase .22lr in any quantity for over a year now, but during a collapse the bedwetter statist fcorp libtards are supposedly "hooked up" for rimfire, but don't have centerfire military cartridges.

Lastly, how in a matter of months are so many "true believer" Limas created?  I'm not talking about the walmart "you owe me" crowd.  I'm talking about the blood thirsty, no questions asked, fanatics.  Through history, there are three approaches to achieve unquestioning loyalty:  1) be raised in it culturally your whole life  2) become indoctrinated over time (our military spends at least 8 weeks on this in basic training)  3) threat of your own death, injury or imprisonment

Offline PolicePrepper

• Senior Survivalist
  • Oath Keeper
I agree with your Lima comments. The statists almost feel like a caricature of how the extreme left really acts. Now those are Washington (state) liberals, which may be a different brand than the Georgia liberals I'm used to, but they don't feel real.