Author Topic: AR parts question  (Read 5907 times)

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
AR parts question
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »
With the recent drop in prices of all things AR, I've considered building one. When I look online, I see completed lowers selling as low as 109 (NFA) and completed uppers around 400 (PSA). The upper includes a BCG and charging handle. Apart from a rear optic, is that all that is necessary to have a complete rifle? Is there any way to do it even cheaper?

Offline cabowabo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: AR parts question
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:25:02 PM »
I'd look local for something like a Spikes Tactical lower, if you want that part already done.   Changing out the furniture to Magpul if you wanted to, wouldn't be that hard just need a screw driver for one part. 

As far as the Upper if you're getting the complete upper it should come with Bolt Carrier Group, and Charging handle.  Your going to want, back up front and rear sights on it.  Again Magpul has those for a decent price.  Check PSA's website because they have continues deals on both lowers, lower part kits, and uppers.  As well as ammo and magazines.  I personally avoid a Poly lower if it was me.  IT just isn't worth the weight to go poly instead of metal... IMHO

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
Yea you can build fairly cheap if you want to, I built one for around $490, with complete stag lower for $140 and the complete upper w/bolt/carrier for $350, used the A2 stock so no after market sights are needed. I spent more on ammo & magazines in it than I did in the rifle. Has been functioning great, good shooter I can't complain

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 08:03:14 PM »
Under 500 would be outstanding. Where does a guy find an upper for $350? The cheapest lowers I've found are $400.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 11:27:44 AM »
Since I could buy one as cheaply (currently $580 and I paid $570) as I could build one, I chose to buy one complete with a bumper to bumper warranty from a single manufacturer. . . .  I purchased a DPMS Panther Oracle 5.56 from Surplus Ammo two years ago next month and it has certainly met my expectations for quality, for a forged upper and lower.  I figured I could improve on components down the road, which I have, as I had funds to do so but its been a great shooter right out of the box.

I was charged $13 to get it shipped to my FFL and a $25 FFL fee, which you would probably be charged anyway for just a lower.

The few additions I made to it are:
· Trijicon TA11G ACOG Scope ($840)
· LaRue LT100 QD Tactical Mount ($125)
· Quad Rail Handguard ($40)
· AIM Sports FTG150 - Tactical Foregrip w/ Integral 150 Lumen Flashlight ($59)
· Troy M4 Folding Gas Block BattleSight w/ Tritium Insert - Front ($148)
· Matech 600 Meter Backup Sights – Rear ($68)
· Redi-Mag RM-15 II BCE QA ($82)
· Magpul B.A.D. Lever ($29)
· MI MCTAR-30 End Plate Sling Adapter ($39)
· Miculek Muzzle Brake ($38)
· Savvy Sniper Sling - Quad Dual QD w/ MS Attachment ($80)
· ATI Shotforce Buttpad - SBS4700 ($11)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:51:54 AM by nelson96 »

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 05:10:32 PM »
Whew, that's quite the list of upgrades there Nelson!

I'm kicking myself because I saw an upper on the PSA website today for only $200! I'd only need a $90 BCG and CH and a $109 lower and I'd be in business.

Anybody know of a another place I can get an upper that cheap?

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »
Under 500 would be outstanding. Where does a guy find an upper for $350? The cheapest lowers I've found are $400.

Build your own, or keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory (PSA) for screaming deals.  Watch them on whatever the next major holiday is and you may have good luck.

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »
Whew, that's quite the list of upgrades there Nelson!

It's a lot of fun.  I love the ACOG.

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 06:46:22 AM »
It's a lot of fun.  I love the ACOG.

I'm waiting for my barrel to come in to finish my build. I picked up a $99 tru-glo for now but down the road (in about a year or so) I'd like to get fancy optics. Maybe Trijicon or EoTech? Something that's self illuminated.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
I'm waiting for my barrel to come in to finish my build. I picked up a $99 tru-glo for now but down the road (in about a year or so) I'd like to get fancy optics. Maybe Trijicon or EoTech? Something that's self illuminated.

Depends on what ranges you want to be shooting. In the military we had the Trijicon ACOGs and they're incredible pieces of equipment. With the built in bullet drop compensator you can accuratly hit man sized tagets at over 500 yards with practice. Personally, I'm never going to shoot anything that far being in the eastern woods since the brush is so thick. I use mine for feral hogs and plinking so I went with the EoTech and LOVE it. I've never shot one with the 3x magnifier on it, but guys I've talked to say they work good, however don't have the bullet drop compensator built into them.

Offline Rangeboss

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB member
    • The Shooters Podcast
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »
5 months ago I found complete uppers on slickguns.com for $299. I bought 3 on the spot. With BCG and charging handles and sights. Awesome finds.

endurance

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »
5 months ago I found complete uppers on slickguns.com for $299. I bought 3 on the spot. With BCG and charging handles and sights. Awesome finds.
Have you built any of them up yet?  Just curious how they're working for you?

Offline Rangeboss

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB member
    • The Shooters Podcast
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
I built all 3. One had a minor fit issue, but I suspect it was the polymer lower I was putting it on. I got it to fit. I also swapped them around on 2 other aluminum lowers I had and the mated up nicely. The polymer lower was for my youngest daughter and it was pink. Now she tells me the upper needs a paint job, pink and purple camo.  I have the paint, now I just need the time.

endurance

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 09:09:17 PM »
I built all 3. One had a minor fit issue, but I suspect it was the polymer lower I was putting it on. I got it to fit. I also swapped them around on 2 other aluminum lowers I had and the mated up nicely. The polymer lower was for my youngest daughter and it was pink. Now she tells me the upper needs a paint job, pink and purple camo.  I have the paint, now I just need the time.
Thanks!

Please, please, please, please post pics when you finish.  I have got to see that! :D