Author Topic: supplies to keep in your daily driver/bov  (Read 24827 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: supplies to keep in your daily driver/bov
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:23 AM »
First off, where do you get MREs with the Fig pack?  All of mine have come with the peanut,walnut raisin mix..Which I don't care for.

Also, Scout, I kinda agree..  I haven't set up anything in my truck yet..  I have a flash light, Black and Decker SimpleStart but nothing else (shame on me..)  I have under seat storage, and in bed trunk (it's a Honda Ridgeline) storage.  I'm not sure about running around all day with gas inside or in the trunk for the obvious reasons...

As for tools, there isn't much on this truck that I feel that I am able to deal with.  Yes, I can swap the belt, hose, radiator cap, oil if I needed too, But much else beyond that, and I'm over my head.  Older vehicles I would be better doing something with.

Something I just thought about talking about oil is something one might want to have:

JBWeld or Putty Epoxy.  Either should be able to plug a crack or small hole for a period of time to allowing you to get to some place to make complete repairs.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 11:06:42 AM »
Yup. 2.5 gal each of water and gas. Qt. Oil, mini socket se with only the bits for my car, and spark plug and lug wrench. I have room for 250 bucks worth of non-beer groceries.

That's about 3 bags now a days.

Offline evilphish

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 11:11:11 AM »
That's about 3 bags now a days.

where I live, thats more then my wife and I spend for two weeks for me her and a 2 year old.

Offline RadioKrafter

• Prepper
  • Get Lost, We'll Find You...
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 11:51:33 AM »
This is what I keep in my car all of the time.  I will be adding to it soon and this is the summer rotation so it is light on warm cloths and stuff.

Well thought out list, great pix.

+1

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 12:43:49 PM »
I carry simple hand tools (multi tip screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers, Duct tape, work gloves, folding knife), jumper cables, first aid kit, rain gear and cold weather items (Gloves, hat, jacket, blanket) in my trunk. 

I also have GPS, flashlight, multi tool, cell phone charger, maps, 4 half liter water bottles and some grainola bars in the side pockets and glove box of the car.

So Here's my question...
I don't know how in the world I could carry all the STUFF listed in these posts in the trunk of my car.  Not only would I have absolutely NO space left to carry anything else (The main reason to have a trunk!) but I don't even think that all the stuff people list (5 gal. gas, 5 gal. water, Fire extinguisher, air pump, guns & ammo, fully stocked BOB, sleeping bag, tarps, ropes...etc, etc.) would even fit.
So does anyone REALLY carry all this stuff with them or are these just great lists of things that would be nice to have but nobody really has room for.  I have a BOV Storage bin with a lot more stuff that I throw in the car for long trips and when I expect bad weather but I just don't have the space to carry "the kitchen Sink"!
Granted the buick has kind of a big trunk, but, all packed up it doesn't take that much space.  The first picture is stuff that is in the center and glove box or laying in the rear foot well like the flash light and wrench.

The tool box is like 12"x16"x2" and the jumper lay on top. the next four pictures are stuffed into the bag which is a medium sized backpack. then there is a is a case of small water bottles.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 12:50:19 PM »
First off, where do you get MREs with the Fig pack?  All of mine have come with the peanut,walnut raisin mix..Which I don't care for.

Bought the MREs at a gun show, they are like 4 years old so I will only leave them in the car one summer.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 02:57:32 PM »

Offline Chief_919

• Survivor
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
I don't keep MRE's in the vehicle because heat kills the shelf life. Instead I keep Some the hard emergency rations made for use in aircraft and lifeboats. It is 3600 calorie packed into a tight little package. Along with that I have some granola and hard candy, as that all stores well.

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2011, 10:24:50 AM »
didn't see it on here - I could have missed it: each time I have any belt replaced (steering, fan, etc.), I always "keep" the old one handy

Offline porkchop

• Prepper
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2011, 04:56:50 PM »
A pair of coveralls and some nitrile gloves.  Keeps your clothes and hands from getting too dirty.

On a side note.
Belts are usually replaced because they are about to fail.
I used to keep the old ones as an emergency backup too; until I actually had to use my emergency backup.

The old belts only carried me another 5 miles.  Yes, I was five miles closer to home, but I was also sitting on the side of the road again.
This time with no emergency backup to replace my emergency backup.
Fortunately, there was an auto parts store a few miles ahead.  This time I bought 2 new belts.
Sure it cost a few more dollars but next time I know I won't be trusting my safety or my family's safety to an old belt.

Offline Sulla

• Prepper
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »
Something else that one needs to include is spare vehicle fuses.

Offline porkchop

• Prepper
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
An extra set of wiper blades is a worthy addition and they don't cost too much.

The other day during an afternoon deluge my driver's side wiper blade broke.  This meant I couldn't see where I was going.
Lesson learned...  keep a spare set in the box along with the fluids.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 11:27:48 PM »
My daily driver, a 97 jeep grand cherokee, stays PACKED full of gear. Because I live in a cold snowy place, it is mainly prepped for getting stuck in the winter. I also have it set up so I can live out of it if I have to. Here's a list of what I have,but it probably won't cover everything.
Full array of automotive fluids- oil, transmission, radiator, brake,  power steering, and windshield wash.
Tools: ratchet and socket set,  4 way lug nut wrench, a bottle jack, tire repair kit, 12 V air compressor
Standard fully stocked 72+ hour bugout bag
Small shovel
Axe
Several gallons of water
A sleeping bag that lives in the back seat
Piles of empty junk food wrappers
A tent
Come-along and a tow strap
12 V spotlight
Chain
Ratchet straps
WD-40
Haynes vehicle repair manual
Electronics repair box (pliers, wire strippers, spare fuses, tester, terminals and connections, etc)

My girlfriend and I basically lived in it over the last winter (small town, nowhere to go if you don't party or do drugs except for maybe the library) and it was quite comfortable with all that stuff.

A wadded up sleeping bag or pile of blankets makes a back seat FAR more comfortable to lay in.

If you keep food in your vehicle, check for mice every once in a while!  I found a mouse nest under my seat during the winter, but I didn't find any other sign. I think the cold killed them off before they could do much.