Author Topic: Reloading Manual Suggestions  (Read 4563 times)

Offline mech7.62

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Reloading Manual Suggestions
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:35:44 AM »
I am brand new to reloading. I bought a Lee loading turret press and some dies. I also bought the Lee loading manual and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find it in digital format?

Any reloading manual in digital format would be nice. I would like to get some solid reading in before I begin reloading and I cannot fit my lee manual in with my stuff on my way to work. I have a great deal of down time at my job and would like to use it to complete reading a couple of manuals. I can take my kindle or iPad with me so where would I find manuals for it?

Any ideas will be great.

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
Re: Reloading Manual Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:20:52 AM »
I am brand new to reloading. I bought a Lee loading turret press and some dies. I also bought the Lee loading manual and I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find it in digital format?

Any reloading manual in digital format would be nice. I would like to get some solid reading in before I begin reloading and I cannot fit my lee manual in with my stuff on my way to work. I have a great deal of down time at my job and would like to use it to complete reading a couple of manuals. I can take my kindle or iPad with me so where would I find manuals for it?

Any ideas will be great.
There is a lot of discussion about this here... A search will get you a lot of opinions.

That being said, I recommend starting with the Lyman Reloading Manual.

Lyman builds reloading equipment instead of powder or bullets so their load data includes all brands of powder and bullets.
This usually presented with the best components used for the cartridge in question.

Lyman also sells bullet casting equipment and has the best data for cast bullet reloads too.

Since reloading is potentially hazardous for the new to reloading shooters, I advise you to literally study the sections in the front of the book until you are very comfortable with the process.

Also, do not ever, exceed listed maximum loads.... If you need more power, buy a bigger gun... Don't blow your hand off.

Steve

Offline mech7.62

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:01:37 PM »

buy a bigger gun... Don't blow your hand off.

Steve

Good advice for anyone, haha. I didn't know that about Lyman thanks.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
+2 on the lyman manuals. Don't know of a digital format for them, or any reloading manual for that matter. The websites of the various component manufacturers have the recipes, but you need to read about the process.

nelson96

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:03 PM »
The Beginner's Guide to Reloading Ammunition is a great book for beginners and is available in Kindle and paperback.  I don't own it but know several people that do and said it helped them a lot.

Offline DDJ

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »
I started with the ABCs of reloading and have loaned my copy to a few people who were getting into reloading.  I just looked and see that it is available on Kindle from Amazon.  This book is a supporting document.  It is a whole book of whaty you typically find in the front of other manuals.  It gives lots of whys and hows.  It function is to teach you reloading and not to give you all of the reloading data.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert-ebook/dp/B004GUSBP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388938648&sr=8-1&keywords=abcs+of+reloading

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:36 PM »
I do not have the ABC Reloading book but I see in the credits that it is one of the Gun digest series.  They know their business and have been providing good information to shooters for many decades.

If it is the one available on line and that is your preference then use it with confidence.

Whatever you do avoid taking instruction and load data from internet forums like this one.  This is one of the better forums, but none of the information is technically edited or cross checked for safety or accuracy of content.  That is just the way forums work.

When you do start your reloading effort you can go to the various manufacturers and get specific data for each cartridge.  I have a half dozen manuals but I still go to the Mfg websites.  That is especially true if one is using a newly developed powder that may not be in all the manuals.

Good luck

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:35 PM »
i'll add my hat on the lyman pile. i bought it to start reading and learning before i get a press and it is really good. very clear and great information. there is a ton of load data in it and they give you a brief bio of each round that is included.

Offline mech7.62

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
I started with the ABCs of reloading and have loaned my copy to a few people who were getting into reloading.  I just looked and see that it is available on Kindle from Amazon.  This book is a supporting document.  It is a whole book of whaty you typically find in the front of other manuals.  It gives lots of whys and hows.  It function is to teach you reloading and not to give you all of the reloading data.

http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloading-Definitive-Novice-Expert-ebook/dp/B004GUSBP6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388938648&sr=8-1&keywords=abcs+of+reloading

Thanks for the link. I can get this for free because I have Amazon Prime.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 06:40:07 AM »
Thanks for the link. I can get this for free because I have Amazon Prime.

thanks for posting that, i hadn't looked at the borrowing part, looks like i get to read it for free also!

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 07:04:54 AM »
I took the NRA reloading class a few months back. They recommended getting at least 2 different manuals. It's always good practice to get a 2nd opinion on your recipes. I have the Lyman and Lee manuals and might even pick up a third once I finally get my press.

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:36:12 AM »
I took the NRA reloading class a few months back. They recommended getting at least 2 different manuals. It's always good practice to get a 2nd opinion on your recipes. I have the Lyman and Lee manuals and might even pick up a third once I finally get my press.

+1 in the second,third manual
always cross reference loads
mistakes are made in data
Lyman is a good place to start
after you get the Lyman book
another option is One Book/One Caliber
it covers all the data for all the Mfg. for lets say .357 mag
then a different book for .45 acp ect.

SnoHam13

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 04:12:53 PM »
LoadData.com is a subscription online loading manual. $30yr. I feel it is worth it.

http://www.loaddata.com/home/index.cfm

However, I also have two dozen or so reloading manuals from new to antiques and I use them all. I have often wasted hours on analysis paralysis, but I loved every minute of it.

+1 on the ABCs of Reloading book. Well written, not boring. I learned alot from that book (lots of stuff that my other mentors hadn't learned me).