Author Topic: Easy No-Knot Tarp Rigging System for Youngs and Novices  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
Easy No-Knot Tarp Rigging System for Youngs and Novices
« on: November 21, 2014, 04:02:15 AM »
hi all!

I am trying to "develop" an easy tarp/poncho/shelter rigging system that a child can do.

A Must is that it should not demand any know tying (unless the knots are already pre-installed)
So far I have come up with this:

In point 2 there is a taught line hitch.
I chose to inverse its application, and connect the tarp to the working end. this way the user can take all the rope slack and bring the tarp right to the anchor point if need be.
I also toyed around with those plastic things that you see on tent lines that work as the taughtline hitch.

I need to find a better knot that will allow taking up the rope slack on that end by just pulling on the working end.

In point 1 there are two overhand knots for demo purposes, but a carabiner should be used instead.

Around the anchor goes another rope that practically locks on itself.

In point 3 I need a knot that will also take up slack (same as point 2). Purpose is also to leave no slack on the anchor point.

I am open to suggestions please...

PS. I also just remembered that i have some figure 9 carabiners from Nite-Eze. Guess i will ahve to toy around with them at Tv time today.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:14:29 AM by GreekMan »

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
Re: Easy No-Knot Tarp Rigging System for Youngs and Novices
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »
I like it.    I use a similar configuration (Just without the carabiner or anchor rope, just have a loop on the end of the line) because my anchors are always stakes. 

I like to keep the extra rope at the top though, if the tarp is done up higher than ground level, you can just turn a hand loop in the line and have a place to hang a camp light, or other gear.

Great work!

Doc

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Rookie Registered Nurse
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
On your corners, tie a length of rope with a dog bone on the other end.  The stake can be put through the loop the dog bone makes and adjusted accordingly.  You can also have a length of rope with a loop tied in each end.  Fix this rope around an anchor, like a tree, with a caribiner.  Clip caribiner into loop the dog bone makes.  Adjust dog bone accordingly.

Use reflective cord or bright colored rope for this project.  Kids always trip over guy lines.  I recommend bowlines to fix ropes to the corners of your tarps.  For the anchor rope, make a small loop and tie it around itself.  Make it just big enough to put a caribiner through.  Make sense?

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
i took some google foo to understand what a dog-boen is. I know it as tent sliders.
I have my reservations on their use by kids. One has to take the slack and then pull them.

BTW my setup is for the high ends of a tarp.
I tried using a slider there but it would not work for the application i needed it.

ALso, Niteze has robbed all the glory from me.
I tried a setup with a figure Nine carabiner and it is so much easy ansd simpler.
have a loop prmade at the end of the rope. Put the rope around a tree, and the loose end inside the loop.
then take the rope to the figure9carabiner which is atached to the tarp grommet.
presto....
Niteze has a new device too...pictures

CamJam Small Cord Tightener
http://www.niteize.com/product/CamJam-Mini-Cord-Tightener.asp
Figure 9 Carabiner
http://www.niteize.com/product/Figure-9-Carabiner-Small.asp

Yet my search for a know thta will be able to be pulledon a rope and lock under load is still standing
(this cannot be easily done by a taught line hitch)

Offline MonsterBeetle

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:13:27 AM »
Have you considered simply using bungee cords? Don't fix a ridge line but use two bungees, one at either end. No knots at all. You can pre tie paracord onto any further eyelets you plan to use. Then to secure them to the ground you can simply wrap the cord around the peg and push/hammer it into the ground. It's quick and easy and requires no knot knowledge what so ever.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:55:23 AM »
Great idea....
one can have a 2-3 feet of bungee cord on each end, and depending on the rigging length required, can wrap the cord around the tree as many times as he can, regulating tension too. Then finish of by bringing the end hook at the tarp grommet....

NICE!

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
I am all about pre rigging but, I have to ask a question.  Why not teach the kids to tie knots as well?  As a cub scout they learn basic knots at a young age. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 04:51:35 AM »
well, the idea is for anyone to make. Either a child or a novice.
Also, IIRC att he Op tiem i was thinking about children survival kits and abilities.