Author Topic: Question for Steve Harris (or anyone else) ENELOOP VS ENERGIZER  (Read 9758 times)

Offline MillenniumMan

• Prepper
  • Equal oportunity offender
    • MillenniumMan Gear
Question for Steve Harris (or anyone else) ENELOOP VS ENERGIZER
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:16:56 PM »
A couple months back, Steve said that he was putting some new batteries through their paces that could outdo the Eneloop.

I was wondering if there are results back from that battery of tests (no pun intended) and which ones came out on top?

Thank you.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Question for Steve Harris (or anyone else) ENELOOP VS ENERGIZER
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline infosec

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
I recall Mr. Harris mentioning something about "Bad bunny" and I have avoided Energizers since.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »

Offline MillenniumMan

• Prepper
    • MillenniumMan Gear
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
You're right, I think it was Eneloop vs Rayovac and not energizer.

Offline oley454

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:06:47 PM »
My experience is that energizer are junk.  I bought AA, C, and 9v.  None of them hold a charge worth a damn.  I can't speak on eneloops but they are next months "prep" buy.

Offline skas

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:13:45 PM »
Having used Energizers and Eneloops...go Eneloop, for sure.

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »
i personally have enloops and they are rock solid. i need to get some of the C and D adapters for them.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 07:57:02 PM »
If I recall correctly, while Steve liked the Eneloops for AA and AAA, he was down on the adapters.  Just not enough juice there to last very long.  I don't recall what he recommended though.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »
Having used Energizers and Eneloops...go Eneloop, for sure.

Seconding this. My Eneloops last noticeably longer than my Energizers. I'll be replacing them all with Eneloops soon.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:25:54 AM »
If I recall correctly, while Steve liked the Eneloops for AA and AAA, he was down on the adapters.  Just not enough juice there to last very long.  I don't recall what he recommended though.

that was my thought, you have the size of the C and D, but not the power... i though enloop made C and D sizes, but i guess it's just the adapter.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 10:19:59 AM »
I'm in to see the response on anything better.

I've been using Eneloop AA and AAA for years now without any issues.

I was in the market for some Cs and Ds for kids toys and soothers and such. And I knew the adaptors that would allow the use of AAs in place of Cs just wouldn't last long. The capacity just isn't there. So after some research, I picked up some Tenergy Centura Low Self-Discharge size C and size D batteries. They work great and I don't have any complaints at all. No issues whatsoever. They are highly recommended. I probably have about 10 each of the Cs and Ds that I use and rotate through toys and such. Highly recommended.

After I had such good luck with the Tenergy Centura Cs and Ds, I thought I would try out their AA and AAA. I am no expert and don't have any official tests, but they work *almost* as well as the Eneloops. But then again, they are not quite as expensive. What I do is the good stuff that I want to last awhile, like my digital cameras and flashlights, I use the Eneloops. For the kids toys and remotes and stuff, I use the Tenergy.

This is just my opinion, but I hope that helps!

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
Tenergy rings a bell.  I think those might be the ones Steve recommended.  That was a while ago though...could be something new since.

Offline MillenniumMan

• Prepper
    • MillenniumMan Gear
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 03:24:01 PM »
Just did a price comparison and Tenergy is $10 less for a 4 pack of AA. The two at an equivalent power output level are neck and neck.

Time for me to battery shop.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2014, 12:32:45 PM »
I use Tenergy and ENELOOP Aa and AAA cells , after 4 years I have had some failures in Tenergy,NO failures with ENELOOP cells...BUT SANYO sold ENELOOP to PANASONIC and and The 2100 cycle cells appear fine BUT the 2500 rated cells appear to have a problem..

Any others note the change lately?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2014, 02:47:32 PM »
Just swapped out two AA in my mouse yesterday.  I had a rack of Eneloop and Energizer AA batteries that were all recharged at the same time together about 6 weeks ago.  the Energizers were dead already, would not even power a mouse.  The Eneloop AA batts were good to go.  I knew from prior experience they were much better but this is pitiful for Energizer.  I just tossed all those as worthless.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
Just swapped out two AA in my mouse yesterday.  I had a rack of Eneloop and Energizer AA batteries that were all recharged at the same time together about 6 weeks ago.  the Energizers were dead already, would not even power a mouse.  The Eneloop AA batts were good to go.  I knew from prior experience they were much better but this is pitiful for Energizer.  I just tossed all those as worthless.

I gave all of my non-ENELOOP cells to my brother...made TWO people happy at one move.

Offline ridge rover

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2017, 06:43:13 PM »
I can't seem to get that last short video Harris made. He showed some different AAs he was researching. He said they looked better than Eneloops so far, but was still testing. Can anyone recall which batteries they were?

My link to that video doesn't seem to work anymore.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 05:16:02 AM »
  My choice is ENELOOP,the only failure I have seen was when a charger failed and cooked a set of 4 AA cells till they leaked.
The 2000 MAH ones tend to perform better than the higher rated 2550 and 2850 ect ENELOOP as they don't produce power for higher Current devices (1/2 amp or more) as well or as long as the 2000 MAH versions. The higher rater cells may be just fine for devices that use little power but I try to simplify for my use and the 2000 MAH ENELOOP does just fine.

I do like the TENERGY 9 volt,C and D cells and am tempted to try TENERGY Low Self Discharge cells ,but with no failures of my ENELOOP AA and AAA cells I hav not felt the need ...as of yet.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »
I can't seem to get that last short video Harris made. He showed some different AAs he was researching. He said they looked better than Eneloops so far, but was still testing. Can anyone recall which batteries they were?

My link to that video doesn't seem to work anymore.

let me have a look in the big flashlight forum for any new additions. But for now nothing bests eneloop. Duracell has LSD but it seems they are suspiciously similar to Eneloops in make, same for other makers....
Early in the game Uniross Hybrios were a little bit notch better, but that stands to reason since Eneloop bought the technology from them.
My bet is that Harris did not find any better, else he woudl have spoken.

Offline supertrout5000

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 07:12:38 PM »
If price is a factor, my local Best Buy had kits with 8 AA and 4 AAA Eneloop plus charger on sale for $20. I bought them all, but hopefully the stores near you may have some.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »
This thread hasn't been active in a while.  I recently bought some AAs to compare.  I bought 4 new Eneloop gen 4s, 4 Amazon Basics, and 4 Energizers.  I also have some not too old EBLs I will add to the testing.  I am still in the process of testing so no definite conclusions so far.  Right now I am running the cells through a couple conditioning cycles.  With a constant 1 amp load the Eneloops showed the lowest capacity, excluding the EBLs which I haven't got to yet.  I suspect the EBLs will test lowest from previous tests.  Once I get everything reconditioned I can draw some real conclusions.

I still like Eneloops but can't help being curious about other brands.  I really didn't need to buy more cells since most of them sit around waiting for their turn to be used.  One interesting thing which confirmed a long suspicion of mine was reading Eneloop's own writeups on their batteries.  They briefly mention 'memory' of NiMH batteries.  They did not say there was none, but rather that their battery had a higher voltage output which compensated for it. They also mention how crystals form in the cell causing the effect.  So, perhaps that is part of the reason my tester is spending hours reconditioning all the batteries I want to test.  I can see on the graphs how the capacity goes up after a couple cycles, in some cases by quite a bit.  I'll try to post the graphs once the real tests get done. 

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 10:52:15 AM »
I got through some tests comparing Eneloop, Energizer, Amazon Basics, and EBL cells.  The results were confusing, cells of the same type varied quite a bit, and similar results between tests.  I used the same charger at 500mA.  While all the cells have been through a number of cycles, maybe they need a few more to stabilize.  I did not have my CBA when I first starting using Eneloops so I dont have anything to compare with.  I did my best to treat all the cells the same way to eliminate that variable.

One thing which did seem to come out of the tests, but under suspicion pending further tests is that with a 1 amp discharge Energizer and Amazon cells had a higher capacity than Eneloops.  Of EBL 2300 and 2800 cells, the two test quite close.  At 1 and 2 amps none of the cells measured at the manufacturer's rating.

I was hoping to see some pattern out of the tests but that didn't quite happen.  Since a few different brands of new cells seem to have the same 'breaking in' issue my guess is it must be something common to NM cells.

For now I am going to start using the test cells in flashlights so they get some real world use and revisit the tests after that.  Since older cells test consistently my best guess is that it takes more cycles than I thought for a new cell to become 'conditioned'.  If anyone has any ideas or information about new cells I would like to hear it- or suggestions on a test to run. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 11:43:38 AM »
What are you using to hold the cell and make contact with the test leads?  I’ve had a lot of spurious results from flakey contacts when running tests with my CBA. 

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 12:59:56 AM »
ralph, the 1&2 Amp discharge seems a bit too much to me....
Did you check the datasheets for what the manufacturers use?
(many times the stated capacity is of a lower discharge rate)

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 10:34:56 AM »
I am using magnets to make battery connection.  They work well except when I accidentally bump them.  The discharge rates I have been using are high, in part to keep the test times down so I can get through a test and not leave the dead cell connected to the CBA for hours until I get back to it.  I did run a power profile test out of curiosity and all the cells pretty much give out by about 3 amps load, so 2 amps is pushing them.  The CBA set for a NMH battery of 2AH suggests a load of 2 amps. 

I didn't check, but have no doubt the manufacturer's test load is much lower, 0.1C if I had to guess.  I am still curious enough that I'll run some tests at 500mA.  That should run about 4 hours per cell so it'll take a while.  I'll probably run one cell of each type to see how they compare. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »
I eventually tried clamping over the top of my magnetic contacts and the extra pressure made a noticeable difference in my case, especially in high draw situations.  I eventually modified a woodworking clamp with heavy copper contacts and 10 gauge leads, basically the same thing WMR sells, and my results got more consistent.