Author Topic: Question for Steve Harris (or anyone else) ENELOOP VS ENERGIZER  (Read 13639 times)

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
Re: Question for Steve Harris (or anyone else) ENELOOP VS ENERGIZER
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
I haven't tried any of the eneloop batteries yet.  Lower Self Discharge means much better installing the batteries and forgetting about them for a year or two. Lanterns, secondary flashlights, etc. I'd stay clear of using these in your primary flashlight, etc because you could have too many charge cycles and hit your shorter lifespan.

-----

I broke down and bought a Golisi S4 Charger which measures charge mAh. It has a 12v in so I can charge off my car, or as I am currently the Solar for home home office. I also built an arduino discharge tester. Calibrated as best as I can with my cheap harbor freight meter. They correlate well to each other. I got/built these for Lithium batteries because so many listings on amazon are capacity lies.

They both work with AA & AAA batteries.  So I started taking notes. A charge/recorded discharge/recorded charge cycle on the batteries with the actual mAH written down in sharpie on the batteries along with the year/month I put them in service has been helpful. It helps me 'match' cells because they can be wildly different from the same package.

I have found that the Ikea rechargeable consistently exceeded their labeling by about 10% and that the package said Made in Japan with my understanding a few years ago that the only NmH battery plant in Japan was the one that eneloop came off of, so they are white-label (literally!) eneloops.

I have a Duracell sitting here next to me, the freshly charged mate to the one in my mouse currently that is labeled at 2028mah recorded vs the 2000mah labeled. It's now 12 years old, tested maybe 8-10 years into it's life. Not too many cycles on it, likely only many dozens. I should re-test it again to see how it's holding up to it's life.

It's a bit of money to get a good charger with a charge mAh display, but I am SO HAPPY I did. It allows me to spot junk batteries and chuck them vs keeping them in circulation and dragging good cells down with them. A good charger makes a discharge tester unnecessary.

Offline Adam Campbell

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Adam Kenneth Campbell Photography
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2020, 11:59:34 AM »
I have to use Eneloop Pro batteries for one of my DSLR cameras because standard NiMH batteries immediately discharge within less than a minute if I put them in this camera. The Eneloop Pro are the only ones I found that can actually power the camera.

I heard that IKEA's LADDA batteries are the exact same battery, so the last time I was there I picked up several packs. They are cheaper than regular rechargeables at other stores, so I am not worried about it if they don’t perform. I haven’t had the opportunity to use them yet, but I’ll post my experience with them after I’ve had a chance to properly put them through the paces.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2020, 05:26:45 PM »
I have been using the Enloop batteries in my photography business for years and stand by them. They rock.  I use them in both my cameras and flashes and get long use from them. I have been in the photo business for damn near 30 years and these are the best rechargable batteries I have ever used.

Period.

Offline Ralph

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »
I still trust AA Eneloops.  I've yet to have one go bad except for the old XX hi capacity ones I bought some time ago.  The XXs I had (possibly counterfeit but long gone so I can't confirm) were incapable of supplying any significant current out of the package- and I mean hundreds of milliamps.  Out of curiosity I've tried Energizer, EBL, and Amazon basics.  None of those three compare to Eneloops as far as number of cycles or charge retention in storage.  The EBL and Amazon basics tested on a CBA performed virtually identical making me strongly suspect the Amazons are made by EBL.  Both also have somewhat higher capacity than Eneloops.

Due to their higher capacity, lower storage time, and fewer cycle life I use the Amazon, EBL, and Energizera in things having more use where the lower storage life wouldn't be an issue.  Eneloops are for things where I want reliability and long storage such as flashlights.  I only have 4 cells of each I bought for testing so the bulk of my AAs are still Eneloops.  The non Eneloops I haven't had long enough to say anything about their reliability. 

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2020, 12:43:06 PM »
For my AA/AAA use I use and enjoy Eneloop style batteries.

Remember, the battery charger that is often included 'free' with some of the battery packs my not be the battery charger you want to use full time.

I have been using the Nitecore  4-Channel Smart Battery Charger for Li-ion, Ni-Cd, and NiMH Batteries.

This  battery charger is not cheap; but it does provide a nice display on the status of the batteries during the charge cycle.   My charger is more than a few years old, so my guess it is not the exact same one being currently sold today.

Here is the sales add from their website.

Nitecore D4 Digicharger is a universal smart charger compatible with almost all cylindrical rechargeable batteries. D4 comes four independent microcomputer-controlled charging channels and capable to monitor and charge up to four batteries simultaneously. It is fully automated that it detects the battery type, selects the appropriate charging mode and stops when it completes. Its crystal clear LED screen displays the real time charging mode, progress. Nitecore D4 is truly the world’s most advanced fully automated digital charger. It’s as simple as insert, detect and charge.

Compatible battery types:
        Li-ion (26650, 22650, 18650, 17670, 18490, 17500, 18350, 16340(RCR123), 14500, 10440).
        Ni-MH and Ni-Cd (AA, AAA, AAAA, C)
    Fully automated
    Digital display charging status