Author Topic: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)  (Read 320999 times)

Son_of_the_Republic

Food Prices Surge Most In 26 Years
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 06:54:43 AM »
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — Higher prices for vegetables helped drive U.S. wholesale prices higher by a seasonally adjusted 0.7% in March, reversing a drop in February, the Labor Department estimated Thursday.

The producer price index has risen by 6% in the past year, led by a 23% rise in energy prices, the government agency said. It’s the largest year-over-year gain since September 2008

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/wholesale-prices-jump-07-on-higher-food-prices-2010-04-22?dist=beforebell

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Sticker shock at the supermarket: Food prices poised to rise
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2010, 12:23:12 PM »
I believe that inflation has already hit. Many of the price increases come in the form of a change in packaging...less inside. Some comes from fewer sales and coupons. I keep track of my food purshaces for prep reasons and believe that food has actually risen about 20 percent in many of the items I buy. I was told that meat was going up a great deal in the near future for the simple reason that the government promotes farmers growing ethanol corn instead of feed corn.
Whatever the reason, if it's a decent price; better get it now while you can. Grow a garden, raise rabbits or egg layers to help off set the costs.

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »
I've noticed the same HP, The coupons in the paper are getting fewer and fewer and I've noticed the dates don't go out as far as they used to so you have to use them sooner.

Offline hanzel

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Prepper Living
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2010, 01:55:21 PM »
I believe that inflation has already hit. Many of the price increases come in the form of a change in packaging...less inside.

Herbalpagan,

Since the Bureau of Labor Statistics removed Food from the CPI and Inflation numbers there is no "food inflation", its just those greedy farmers, wholesalers, truckers, grocers, ( insert this weeks congressional scapegoat here ) gouging the poor innocent consumer and if you reelect them they promise they will rectify the problem after the next election.

I have used the "Coke" index for a long time.  What is the cheapest I can get a 2 liter coke for, since I like to buy it in bulk.  When I started, $1 was the normal price and 77 cents was the cheap sale price.  Now $1.79 is the normal price and $1.25 is a good sale price ( and sometimes if it is "old" coke they will have 5 for $5 ).  If I was not covered in poison ivy today I would be working on my 2 acre future homestead getting the garden section ready.  The only thing slowing down my move out there is I need a high speed internet connection for working at home. ( Before anyone thinks about me getting Sat. internet,  a Sat. internet connection will not work well since I work on sites already connected via Sat. and need a latency of less than 1000 ms )

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »
Another thing I've noticed is the small grocers are now moving to reduced inventory with JIT stocking. While we used to see discounts for older items to reduce their inventory, now they run out before having to mark anything down.  That saves them money, so I understand it.  But there are a lot of people who have traditionally relied on discount products or food liquidation stores to get by, now they're turning to food-stamps.  

From a survivalist perspective, it also hurts the ability of the store to recover from even a short interruption of service.  If a small town gets snowed in for example, the shelves in the stores will run out quickly, they have nothing stored beyond what you see on the shelf.  

Then there's the limit to "can swapping" it creates. For the uninitiated, "Can swapping" is a techniques grocers use to remain competitively priced when fresh produce is scarce. For example, if it's a bad year for corn, there won't be a lot to go around.  If they mark up the price to $3.00 an ear, even though the market may demand it, consumers think they're being ripped off and the store's business hurts.  In their inventory however, they have thousands of cans of corn from last year's harvest.  So they mark down the canned corn to satisfy some of the demand, allowing them to retain a lower price on fresh corn longer. They can keep it on the shelf at an accessible price point for the consumer without running out or thinning their profit margin, so they save face in the eyes of the public.  When the supply recovers, most consumers were none the wiser.

Now lets say we run out of fresh corn in a store without a secondary inventory.  What little there is will be all that's available, and will run out quickly. As such, the prices skyrocket, the supermarket looks bad, you pay more or go without.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2010, 05:11:18 PM »
Here is an article on what effect the Gulf oil spill will have on food prices:
http://businessjournalism.org/2010/04/30/find-ripple-effects-of-the-gulf-oil-spill-in-your-area/
Not enough? How about the effect of the Iceland Volcano on food prices?
http://securingamerica.com/ccn/node/18532
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 05:15:10 PM by Thox Spuddy »

Thox Spuddy

Re: Food prices increasing, possible shortages (merged topics)
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2010, 06:57:39 PM »
HP: good positive points and advice.
Here's some more stuff:
About rising food prices in India:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/9055516
This is interesting as it is from 2008 and all the conditions have since gotten worse concerning the causes of rising grain cost worldwide:
http://static.rnw.nl/migratie/www.radionetherlands.nl/currentaffairs/080227-wfp-food-crisis-redirected

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
Surging costs hit food security in poorer nations (and here too)
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2010, 12:32:54 PM »
Thought this was a relevant article.

""
Surging costs hit food security in poorer nations

By JOE McDONALD, AP Business Writer
Sunday June 6th, 2010

Families from Pakistan to Argentina to Congo are being battered by surging food prices that are dragging more people into poverty, fueling political tensions and forcing some to give up eating meat, fruit and even tomatoes.

Scraping to afford the next meal is still a grim daily reality in the developing world even though the global food crisis that dominated headlines in 2008 quickly faded in the U.S. and other rich countries.

Edited due to copyright issues -- please see here for Fair Use info.  Poster did not provide a link, sorry.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:04:52 PM by Mr. Bill »

Thox Spuddy

Re: world food supply
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2010, 08:26:00 AM »
Vegetable prices to soar in Australia due to intentional or accidental poisoning:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10559447.stm

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
  • The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates
Food Pantries Running Low in Many Cities!
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »

No one web link to site all areas but a general google search will turn up many locations.This is a sure sign that things are going to get a lot worst in big cities soon. I thought this should be posted to warn all survivalist here. Good luck where ever you reside in the coming months your going to need it.The low fruit has all been picked. Maybe Obama will start a food drive,nationwide but if the dollar crashes all bets are off.

kiteflyer

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=nws%3A1&q=food+pantry+running+low+&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Offline inthego

• Survivalist Mentor
  • No man is free who is not master of himself..
    • My Biz web site
« Reply #41 on: July 17, 2010, 11:47:29 AM »
I love the one link that talks about how illegal immigrants got there food stamps cut or taken away...

bummer.. should not have had them to begin with!  >:(
http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/55188

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 09:00:34 AM »
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 11:20:38 PM by Thox Spuddy »

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 10:24:23 AM »
Yeah--the food news is bad all over and getting worse fast.

As the US loses topsoil at the rate of one bushel for every bushel of corn or wheat harvested, the land loses it's ability to produce. As it does so, not only does the harvest get smaller, it gets less nutritious.

Starving grains don't have as much food value for humans, so they need more of it.

They won't get it now because the harvests are getting slim, slim, slim!

Buy what you can. Grow what you can. Store what you can. However much you do will not  be enough, but it may get you through the worst of the lean times.

Right now more people are growing their own food in the United States than ever did at the height of the Victory Gardens program in WWII.

I've seen more gardens here in FL than I can shake a stick at, and one home where every square foot of the property that wasn't covered by the house was being cultivated.

Those people know what's coming.

Some famine advice: when the lean times come, starve yourself and your family as much as you dare. Anyone too fat (in comparison) becomes an irresistible target in time of famine.

Put nothing in your trash that indicates you are eating better than your neighbor. They WILL find out if you do, and your neighbors will kill you for a crust of bread when they get hungry enough.

Your goal should be to survive just well enough to be stronger than anyone else when the famine is finally over.

You'll need some serious strength then.

homeshow

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »

Buy what you can. Grow what you can. Store what you can. However much you do will not  be enough, but it may get you through the worst of the lean times.

Right now more people are growing their own food in the United States than ever did at the height of the Victory Gardens program in WWII.

we have 7 acres and i have seen people grow a surplus on less than 2 acres.  so i beg to differ on the however much you do will not be enough.  also as to the people growing more than durring WWII.  is that proportional or due to the massive increase in population since WWII?

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
....also as to the people growing more than durring WWII.  is that proportional or due to the massive increase in population since WWII?

Well, the US population in 1945 was 139,928,165 persons. They had planted over 5,000,000 Victory Gardens by the end of the war.

Now, in 2010, the population is about 308.4 million, and of those, about 90 million households have gardens.

So, as the population slightly more than doubled, (220%) gardens have increased about 18 times over. Call it 1800%.

(And that's not even considering how many households may have more than one gardener. It could be Mom, Pop, and 12 kids in some.)

But it's clear that not only are more people gardening, a much larger proportion of the population is now gardening, as compared to the end of WWII.

I'm glad you asked about that, Homeshow. That's really heartening news.

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Surging costs hit food security in poorer nations (and here too)
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
Update! Here!

kiteflyer

http://english.pravda.ru/world/americas/30-08-2010/114809-doomsday_food_prices-0/

The worst weather on record coupled with the practice of speculation in the commodities markets are set to send food prices skyrocketing, bringing misery and starvation to large swathes of the world’s population. Are we set to see food riots this winter?

When reproducing our materials in whole or in part, hyperlink to PRAVDA.Ru should be made. The opinions and views of the authors do not always coincide with the point of view of PRAVDA.Ru's editors.

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 06:28:03 AM »
@ sdcharger

Can you post the link to this story?  I need to share it with some people

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 06:31:17 AM »
Just found a related article.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5igVteTqmTh6MMMNt2_CG5mbzracwD9I0A9R81

BEIJING — China has ordered local leaders to cool a surge in politically sensitive food prices by raising vegetable production amid rising tensions in poor countries over surging food costs.Mayors were told to make sure local markets have a week's supply of vegetables, said a Cabinet announcement on Friday.

Edited due to copyright issues -- please see here for Fair Use info.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:07:11 PM by Mr. Bill »

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 06:35:00 AM »
A slightly longer version of the article than the AP one is here.

Also, folks, be mindful with AP stories; the AP's official "fair use" policy is that no more than 5 words from one of their stories can be used with permission (read payment).  This is obviously errant nonsense, but they have a tendency to lawyer up against random individuals in an effort to discourage anyone from quoting them extensively.  Best practice with AP-sourced stories is to a) find another source or b) paraphrase the content and add a link.

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 08:12:33 AM »
Here's another one

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/now-meat-price-surge-raises-fear-of-food-inflation-2069227.html

Freakish weather conditions and soaring demand from China, Brazil and other fast-emerging economies have pushed meat prices around the world to a 20-year high. International food prices have risen to their highest in two years, shooting up five per cent between July and August.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:08:14 PM by Mr. Bill »

endurance

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »
I'm back to square one with the new place.  Currently I'm so focused on getting it secured, insulated, fenced (for the dogs and horses), and ready for winter that I haven't even had a chance to figure out where to put in the raised beds yet.  The good news is while I had the excavator on site I was able to bury two 275 gallon IBC totes and plumb them to store water from my gutters.  That said, my priority come March will be to get some beds in as soon as the snow melts.  I wish I had more time before winter!

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 12:46:59 PM »
http://m.ft.com/cms/s/0/5f6f94ac-b6bc-11df-b3dd-00144feabdc0.html

Fears grow over global food supplyBy Javier Blas and Jack Farchy in London, Courtney Weaver in Moscow and Simon Mundy in JohannesburgTwo days of unrest in Maputo, Mozambique, left seven people dead and 280 injured after the government decided to raise bread prices by 30%Wheat prices rose further on Friday in the wake of Russia's decision to extend its grain export ban by 12 months, raising fears about a return to the food shortages and riots of 2007-08.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:09:23 PM by Mr. Bill »

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2010, 07:13:24 PM »
@ sdcharger

Can you post the link to this story?  I need to share it with some people
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9G5HLL00.htm

Offline kiteflyer

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »
FYI! Prepare for it now!

kiteflyer

UN calls meeting on food price concerns!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11177346

Food prices, and wheat in particular, are so important for food security and even the political stability of countries."

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:03:00 AM by Roswell »

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
empty store shelves coming to america?
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 08:38:35 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIVVL43qPXY#ws

i think this video is a little overdramatic.  i have higher hopes for our future.  but i do like the point that was made about the bottled water in boston

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor

Offline womule

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: empty store shelves coming to america?
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 08:50:45 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=145lHsoI1qc#ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsjAHb6M84I#

most of these videos were made in the last year.  people need to learn to be prepared.  if everyone always had 14 - 30 days of food stored at home this woudlnt ever be a problem for anyone