Author Topic: Drought emergency declared in California  (Read 49355 times)

Offline yodal

• Survivor
Re: Drought emergency declared in California
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 03:27:53 PM »
Thats my concern. I'm worried that my well will dry up!
I live in a high fire danger area as well. That above all is my first worry.
I finally got the neighbor/landlord to agree on a second path out of the property. We'll have to cut some barbed wire and 4 wheel it, but it's a second escape route!
As it is. there was only one way out...

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 03:42:19 PM »
I know mine will, how can it not without rain ? And, if that happens, mine will be one of many, so existing water hauling isnt set up for it.

The present california system has been about following the money, to some degree, which is why some areas have traditionally bought there way out of water issues, paying to make pipelines to import water from northern CA rivers and the colorado river.

If municipalities and households have to truck in water, and the water is in limited supply, the price will be high, and baring any government action, households and cities with money will have it, and others will not. Now, I dont mind and expect I will have to pay for water when/if my well dries up. But, as water is a basic need, I can only hope that the distribution is able to be kept somewhat fair without gouging.

Offline lochaber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
I'll confess that this is one of those good things about living on the east coast. Over here in NJ we actually have too much water, I don't want to make you guys hate me but my water bill from the town owned water fields and pumping station averages $80 a quarter. Oh, that includes the sewer bill too.

As you can imagine, I have zero idea what it is like to live in your world when it comes to water.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
I drove into the mountains today and hiked up the Mill Creek wash, which is a significant water input into our basin, and there was barely a pathetic trickle coming down in places that would be nearly impossible to cross this time of year.  Actually, I've had to use snowshoes to get that far in the past and today it was like October.

There were several farm operations on the drive up with vegetable crops being planted and sprinklers going like mad.  It will be interesting to see if those guys will be allowed to keep that up with this drought. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 07:21:59 PM »
Over 10 million gallons of water lost due to massive water main break in LA near UCLA. California suffering one of its worst droughts.

Cedar

Offline cosmostrator

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 08:06:29 PM »
I'm at UCLA right now, across the street from the water leak, and it is crazy.  The whole field outside looks like The Everglades and there is a waterfall going down the stairs.  We were all joking that they had found a solution for the drought.  There are a bunch of firefighters walking around just looking kinda lost for what to do.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 08:41:24 PM »
I'm at UCLA right now, across the street from the water leak, and it is crazy.  The whole field outside looks like The Everglades and there is a waterfall going down the stairs.  We were all joking that they had found a solution for the drought.  There are a bunch of firefighters walking around just looking kinda lost for what to do.

OMG Take pictures and post them. Or video!! How on earth did it get this far without someone shutting something off somewhere?

Can they pump it up into non-potable water trucks and haul it where it is needed?

WHOA.. found video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQSpGRF4Mo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iepez0MibBg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKg-kePQfH4

Cedar

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
I saw students Belly Boarding down the stairs on NBC4 NY just a few mins ago. That must be some serious sized main

Offline cosmostrator

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 10:01:32 PM »
I should have taken some pictures before it got dark, but I've been stuck inside, apparently since the fire marshal was here and had nothing better to do he came over and "inspected" our setup and made us change stuff.  The volume of water is so much more than even a fleet of water trucks could pick up, firemen were up to their knees in running water.  Will get and post pics of the aftermath tomorrow afternoon.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »
so, according to this, my area is using the threat of fines to educate on conservation- for the most part - and we have cur water useage by 21% in this area -- which is realy great, considering that there was extreme conservation here to begin with and that California state as a whole has Increased water usage by a teeny bit

http://www.ksbw.com/news/central-california/santa-cruz/santa-cruz-man-sloshed-with-3000-penalty-for-running-toilet/27235596#!bry5eE

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
Z heard.. and I have not verified, that this whole thing started due to a cherry bomb.

Cedar

Offline cosmostrator

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 02:33:56 PM »
Sorry Cedar that was a joke someone played on the local news
http://deadspin.com/louis-slungpue-pranks-news-on-ucla-flood-cause-a-re-1613060017
I went to take pictures of the aftermath on the field and steps outside, but everything was totally dry.  Students were playing games and walking around like nothing happened.  On the other hand Sunset Blvd is still closed.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »
If you examine rainfall patterns in the southwest for 1000 years it brings in perspective that this level of moisture is typical for these areas.

nelson96

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »
If you examine rainfall patterns in the southwest for 1000 years it brings in perspective that this level of moisture is typical for these areas.

WHAT??. . . . .  Nooooo, say it isn't so.  ;)

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 07:17:53 PM »
...and that when decisions about water allotments were made it was the during the wettest century ;)

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
This is EXACTLY the same situation that led to the Dust Bowl in the 1930s.  People assumed that the wet cycle was permanent and acted accordingly.  As Santayana once said (more or less), they who do not know their history are doomed to repeat it.   

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2014, 07:13:20 AM »
The Los Angeles Times article has compiled images of California's drought maps.  These maps show the spread and severity of the drought in California.   It is basically an graphic of what Cedar has been telling us for years. (Thank you for the Ag reports Cedar.)

This is a video of the progression of the drought.
http://www.latimes.com/la-me-g-california-drought-map-gif-htmlstory.html

Here are the monthly images of the spread of the drought.
http://www.latimes.com/science/la-me-g-california-drought-map-htmlstory.html

Offline The Dark Unicorn

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2014, 09:38:50 AM »
I live in TX and we are a bit low on water as well.... But yet people STILL water the grass! I live in a RV park, mainly older residents, and they still water the grass......

It actually irritates me. I can understand watering our little vegetable gardens, the community garden (which we have a spoiled brat that takes everything!) and keeping the 4 bird baths full but the grass which is half dead even with the water?

The unfortunate truth is that 98% of the people that see those maps either don't understand or don't care. They won't care until the water STOPS flowing and then they will start screaming! Look at Detroit.... they didn't pay their bills and they screamed until the water was turned back on.... what happens when there just IS NO water and what's left MUST be rationed? I don't want to see the results of that!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »
Story on California drought includes a farm where the well has gone dry causing all water to be trucked in.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/California-drought-hits-San-Mateo-County-coast-5896053.php

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 02:50:21 AM »
Depressing story on how badly my part of the state is performing at conservation. 

http://www.sbsun.com/environment-and-nature/20150318/rialto-apple-valley-colton-redlands-cucamonga-agencies-cut-water-use-the-least

My city has put almost zero effort into educating about the restrictions that have been enacted, let alone enforce them.  They've been telling us for years that we've got this giant aquifer providing virtually unlimited water security, but they need to get with the program and make what's still down there last.  There is no change in the amount of water pouring down the storm drains from lawn runoff, or my neighbor letting his pool overflow every other month.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2015, 06:52:26 AM »
It is true that citry residents need to not waste, but 80% of all our water is used by agriculture, and the almond crop alone takes water that would provide water for 75% of Ca residents.

We need to stop growing some of our export crops.

We are exporting water to sll the other states via food.

Not that I expect this to happen, but it is where the water is going, it is exported out of state in foods, or lost to evaporation watering crops (and lawns)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »
I read somewhere recently that many California farmers will find it more profitable to sell their water allotments to SoCal this year, rather than to grow crops with it.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2015, 07:08:43 PM »
We don't have a lot of agriculture here in the Las Vegas valley, so it's mostly resident use.  From the water district's website:

According to consolidated data provided by SNWA member agencies, residents account for approximately 59 percent of water use. Most of that water is used consumptively for outdoor landscaping.

But we're odd because we're a really awful soil and an even worse climate for farming.

nelson96

« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2015, 07:19:47 PM »
On my local news tonight they were saying that an expert says if conservation is not improved and the drought continues, California's aquifer will be empty in a years time.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2015, 07:24:30 PM »
I am glad it is raining here today.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »
On my local news tonight they were saying that an expert says if conservation is not improved and the drought continues, California's aquifer will be empty in a years time.

hm, so, is the rest of the nation going to start their gardens ?

nelson96

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
hm, so, is the rest of the nation going to start their gardens ?

I doubt it, but I don't believe CA will be out of water in a year either.  That's not to say they shouldn't be discovering ways to conserve.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2015, 10:34:30 PM »
I doubt it, but I don't believe CA will be out of water in a year either.  That's not to say they shouldn't be discovering ways to conserve.

each water district is its own thing, the state doesnt run them, huge state, lots of water districts. In my county alone there are more than 6 or 7 discrete water districts, and then people like me not on water mains with our own wells, it is a heavy agriculture county, where you all are getting your berries and brussels sprouts and other stuff, Driscoll Berries ? EarthBound Organic ? etc..... Alot to most of these are on wells, and when overdrafted, the sea water seeps inland into that aquifer. On the other hand , since agriculture is the water user, that may be a state level problem, except that it is a large business here in CA, and the rest of the country relies on it. So, hm, dont realy see anyone daring to make any real change.....I certainly dont see governers or other leaders outside of CA doing stuff to promote their own ag. to take the load off.....

I predict it will keep following the money. Agriculture is big business in CA the last 100 years or so causing great upheavals and movements of water in the state.

Until it fails.

And, until then, some farmers/ranchers will fail, likely smaller and less well connected, Northern CA will fall under strict rationing in the towns and cities. The uber -rich will somehow be magically able to buy trucked in water for their yards and pools.

I think you guys should try and get local farmers incentives or whatever to get fruit/nut/vegetable food growing more dispersed.

Online iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2015, 12:17:14 AM »
Funny how this works.   In Indiana we are saturated with aquifers at near records.   We got lucky that February was the coldest month in history North of us so that we didn't receive all of the winter melt at once.   Still we are facing spring floods for the eighth year in a row. The same thing happened during the dust bowl years culminating in a huge flood in 1937.   The local historians are using it as a learning experience for the public: http://www.courierpress.com/news/local-news/willard-library-presenting-flood-program_46153382

On the plus side, you can't drive 75 miles in any direction without passing a major water bottler.  The water business is booming bringing lots of jobs with it: https://www.insideindianabusiness.com/newsitem.asp?ID=25251  Even our glacial springs are being tapped by the entrepreneurial: http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/2015/02/20/academy-award-attendees-receive-indiana-bottled-water/23754733/

Makes me wonder how the Western drought will effect the balance of agriculture across the regions...

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
The California county I live in has the lowest household water usages in the state (so, discounting off grid homes in the desert, possibly the country ? ) In any case, education is constant and ongoing and sometimes fun, here is one event today, in the little soquel water district. This water district is right on the bay and gets its water from wells, which means they cant over-draft those wells without ruining their little aquifer with sea water. Todays educational event has 4 different groups leaving the starting point on bicycles and touring the well sites and such, with ice cream.

http://www.soquelcreekwater.org/events/groundwater-awareness-tour

There is ALOT of awareness in this county, and Monterey count right south of here and also on this Bay(home of the Salinas Valley and most of our exported lettuce and salad greens)

I have never seen anything but drip irrigation on farms in this county, and the household useages are likely getting close to the lower limit. We have to keep up the education as people see a little rain this winter and then "forget" we are in a drought. So, reminders to keep up the good work have to be constant.

The farms in this county and next county down are not served by any state wide pipeline initiatives, and never will be. Our agriculture depends on local resources and has been forced to conserve as their wells are monitored for sea water intrusion and the large rivers that also supply are monitored to keep flowing at least to some degree.

I realy would love to see out of state educational efforts or something to start to disperse the farming back out from here, as much as it is our largest industry. I know you all are gardening at home and putting food by for our potential crash and burn, ( not this year, but possible later ) but look into getting agriculture to start back up in your areas !!

I can tell you this, I have NO INTENTION to vote YES on taxing myself and my neighbors even more to build yet more pipelines or desalination to support EXPORTING PRODUCE -- I do not understand why I and my neighbors should be subsidizing nuts, grapes, berry, avacado etc... prices and availability to the rest of the nation. So, try to get your local areas to think about that.

Most of the geographical area of California thinks the same as me on this. Most of the geographical areas of California are on their own small water districts and pay taxes for large projects that not only do not benefit them but often take their water.

However, it is likely that the Big Money donated by Corporate farms in Central and southern Valleys and the HUGE mass of population of the state that lives in the greater LA basin will out vote us yet again and the can will get kicked down the road a little further. And, so, the great central Valley will continue to SINK (yes, land has dropped many FEET as water is pumped from them in this drought) and the environmental degradation, land getting ruined, aquifers drying up, rivers taken -- and you will get your nuts and produce a few more yers