Author Topic: Eating Organic as preventative Medicine  (Read 15944 times)

Offline sbarber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Eating Organic as preventative Medicine
« on: January 29, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
What does everyone think about eating organic as preventative medicine? I think that it is great and that more people should eat this way if they want to! I think that a healthy organic diet is one of the best ways to fight off alot of common ailments in modern society. What does every one else think?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Eating Organic as preventative Medicine
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:14:05 PM »
Eating more fruits and vegetables definitely provides a significant preventive medicine function, but I'm not convinced there's compelling evidence showing an advantage to consuming organic over conventional. 

There tends to be a lot of magical thinking when it comes to food (just look at GMO), and the organic label seems to be the latest fad that imparts a warm fuzzy feeling to the consumer at the expense of their wallet.  If you can grow it yourself, awesome, go for it.  If you're trusting a label and paying double for pathetic looking produce at the grocery store, save your money, just get what you can afford and enjoy it.

Just my opinion, which differs from the majority on this forum, but that's how I see it.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 05:32:40 AM »
Eating more fruits and vegetables definitely provides a significant preventive medicine function, but I'm not convinced there's compelling evidence showing an advantage to consuming organic over conventional. 

This is what my own digging has turned up as well. The evidence for organic food being more nutritious than conventional produce is conflicting at best, so I don't pay the extra for it. I do buy a lot of fresh produce and grow some of my own to cook with. I think learning to cook your own nutritious meals makes more of a difference than anything else. I also plan to buy a CSA from a local farm this year, just because I know the food will be fresher and taste better.

Eating better food is only one part of a healthier lifestyle. That's not to say you shouldn't strive to eat healthier, but it's not a magic cure-all for some diseases like the media claims. It's often just one piece of the puzzle. If you it makes you feel better to buy organic and can afford the price tag, go for it.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:35:10 AM »
My thing on teaching people why I eat as organic as I can is the 'carrot test' I made up.

I hand them a organically or non-chemically raised carrot. I ask them how it tastes. They usually reply it tastes like a carrot. Anymore I don't even bother asking if they think it tastes nice and sweet. Then I have them eat the conventionally raised carrot and then I ask them if they taste "RAID" bug spray and if that the tip of their tongue tingles/goes numb. Their eyes open wide and they don't generally give me a bad time about eating organic anymore.

We try to keep as much chemicals and other things out of our food here at this house as possible. To me, logically, it seems that 6 BILLION POUNDS of chemicals put on our food in the USA, much of which has been banned in this country, on our foods is a no-brainer as not a good thing.

Cedar

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 08:39:13 AM »
When my chemical sensitivities were at their most extreme, non-organic fruits and veggies literally made me ill. My caregiver intentionally blind-tested this once, and a couple times unintentionally as well with the same food organic vs. conventional. Each time I would become so ill, and confused as to why because "there's no way it could be the food, it's the same food I was eating before!" ::)

Nowadays, I'm not quit as sensitive. I can eat a few bites of non-organic fruits/veggies without symptoms, I just have to be cautious not to consume too much, and some seem to be worse than others.

To the extent my health allows it, I personally am not going to insist on "organic-only" -- if conventional stuff doesn't cause tangible symptoms, then I downsize that aspect to a strong preference, not an absolute requirement. And I recognize that since conventionally grown foods used to make me ill PERIOD, there is likely some psychological factor contributing to my preference.

But there are so many exposures to harmful chemicals these days it seems silly to zero in on food as the most important. Other people emphasize a non-toxic sleep arrangement as more crucial. I cracked up when Mr. Bill mentioned that that toxic chemical spill in Virginia was something patented for use in air fresheners. Some people would bug out over a spill but if you house is filled with air fresheners what's that exposure like over time?

I think minimizing exposure to harmful chemicals makes sense for optimal health. But pick your battles. Personally, I think things like stress reduction and quality sleep are more potent a "preventative medicine".

Offline yodal

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:05 AM »
We eat organic because we can. There's no sense eating chemicals if you don't have to!
Plus! They do taste better!

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
I think minimizing exposure to harmful chemicals makes sense for optimal health. But pick your battles. Personally, I think things like stress reduction and quality sleep are more potent a "preventative medicine".

Stress and sleep are huge preventive factors, along with exercise.

If I had to pick just one, you can't beat exercise as a near miracle cure for just about everything.  All these people looking for magic in their food, pills, herbs, and vitamins would get sooo much more bang for their buck if they'd just get off their ass and walk 30 min per day.

And don't smoke!  Anybody who's smoking and worried about being poisoned by the pesticides in their GMO food has a serious problem understanding relative risk.  The repeated chemical exposures from cigarettes are orders of magnitude more damaging to one's health than all the other toxins you're likely to come across in life.

Offline sbarber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 02:36:47 PM »
I think that reducing the amount of harmful chemicals in my life can only lead to better health. Does anyone have any Ideas or tips as far as sourcing organic food and finding inexpensive organic food and organic preps?

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
I think that reducing the amount of harmful chemicals in my life can only lead to better health. Does anyone have any Ideas or tips as far as sourcing organic food and finding inexpensive organic food and organic preps?

"Inexpensive" and "organic" don't collide very easily. Obviously growing your own is the cheapest monetarily. Sourcing direct from local farmers/ranchers is often economical, particularly if they aren't "certified organic". Obtaining certification is an expensive process (or so I'm told) so whomever is willing to go through all that trouble is likely keen on receiving an ample return from it. Whereas developing rapport with farmers you trust that have a similar mindset but don't bother with certification can be easier on both parties.

The potential to exchange work for food is there as well. Help with the lambing for a few days, bring home some lamb meat. That sort of thing.

If you go to a farmer's market, be sure to get a sense beforehand on what a good price for things actually is. I've been to some "good deal" ones and some overpriced ones. One tip is to arrive towards the end of the day, when people are about to pack up to go home and potentially eager to get rid of any produce that hasn't sold yet.

Co-ops and CSAs can be worth it, just run calculations first to make sure you're actually getting a good deal. I'm a part of a co-op that generally has things several dollars cheaper than I can find anywhere else, and that goes down further if I can snag products marked down due to packaging damage or approaching due dates.

Shop sales? Buy bulk? I consume a massive amount of coconut oil (up to 16oz/week) and the only kind that doesn't make me ill is a super-expensive brand. I keep sampling others in hopes to find a cheaper alternative, but alas. And being severely underweight means reducing my intake doesn't make sense. So, to mitigate the cost I keep records of this company's sales, when I can get it 50% cheaper or more if I can combine that with free shipping. Moreover, I recently arranged with some people I know to split a bulk order with me so next time I'll get it at an even better deal. They benefit because I'll scout out and wait for the best possible sale, and I benefit from the overall cheaper rates that I otherwise wouldn't be able to take advantage of.

It's tricky to eat organic when you don't have much money to play with, but with diligence and a bit of creativity I can generally find a way to make it work. Good luck!

And don't smoke!  Anybody who's smoking and worried about being poisoned by the pesticides in their GMO food has a serious problem understanding relative risk.

:rofl: There are actually people out there like that??

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 07:43:16 PM »
What goes into your body is only half the battle.

What DOESN'T go in is the other half.

That's why organic is better. The whole point is not that organic foods have more good stuff but rather that they have almost zero bad stuff.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »
:rofl: There are actually people out there like that??

There's a subset of hardcore smokers out there with some crazy denial mechanisms.  A common one is a belief that smoking risks are no worse than any other environmental exposures in their life, from smog to chemtrails, pesticides to flouride, I've heard them all.  While there may be the rare toxic exposure that poses a greater risk than smoking, they're few and far between.

Another common belief is that any damage from smoking can be counteracted by various detox regimens and anti-oxidant supplements.  Ironically, a recent study indicates that smokers with high anti-oxidant intake actually have higher rates of lung cancer due to inhibition of the immune system's oxidative processes necessary for destroying nascent cancer cells.

There's a whole bunch of 400 lb, triple bypass, sedentary, smokers out there who will tell you with a straight face how they're turning their health around by "eating right" and taking vitamins. 

Offline sbarber

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:19:24 AM »
There's a subset of hardcore smokers out there with some crazy denial mechanisms.
Yeah I have meet a few people like that at a past job. One women said that she had always had a cough and so had her sisters and even though she had smoked her whole adult life and been exposed to second hand smoke in her childhood,smoking wasn't the cause she had just always had a slight cold.

Kind of ridiculous how people can think that!

Offline motleyhoo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 03:47:58 PM »
First of all, lets talk about GMOs.  There are no studies concerning GMOs in this country, and anyone who attempts to conduct a study and release any negative data will have their lab shutdown and all of their data and equipment confiscated by govt agents acting under the FDA, who are in turn acting on behalf of the biotech corporations.  We're talking about a very powerful industry here that everyone from our Congressmen, to our Judicial leaders, to hundreds of the richest CEOs, to Wall Street are all invested in.  However, several eye-opening studies have been conducted in Europe.  In one study, two sets of identical chickens were used.  One set of chickens was fed non-GMO corn and soy, and the other set was fed GMO soy and corn.  Their DNA was tested before and after, and the GMO chickens showed definite damage to their DNA through their epigenes.  In another study, hamsters were tested in the same manner.  The results were even worse as by the 3rd generation of hamsters 50% of them were born sterile.  There are other similar studies that have been done outside the US on other animals all showing similar results and all of these can be googled.

The other thing about GMOs.  There are two types - those with GE pesticides spliced into their DNA, and those that are Round-Up ready.  It ought to be obvious why you would not want to eat the former.  Who in their right mind would eat food with pesticides GE'ed right into it?? Except that millions of people do it everyday because their "leaders" tell them it's safe.  The latter means that big agro companies can save millions of dollars by spraying their crops with Round-Up instead of spending money on the labor it takes to remove weeds.  Again, do you really want to eat food soaked in Round-Up??

Now let's talk about pesticides.  I see all kinds of posts about nutrition or taste when it comes to organic foods.  That's not really why we should eat organic.  Non-organic food is coated with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides.  And worse yet, because of lobbying pressure and financial influence, the application limits and safety guidelines of these toxic chemicals continue to be eroded and eroded.  What's really insane is that we have to discuss organic food as if it is the abnormality, when inorganic food is actually the abnormality.    Why is it that organic food is not the norm, and why aren't we discussing this the other way around?  It's because of billions of dollars in marketing, advertising, and lies.  You cannot turn on the TV, open a paper, or read a magazine without being bombarded with the marketing crap telling you to buy! buy! buy!  And if it didn't work they wouldn't spend so much money doing it.  I mean seriously, the advertising industry's dirty little secret is that mass marketing is mind control in its most basic form.  That's why it works.

Now let's talk about the food shortage myth.  We hear all the time from these biotech companies and their shills in politics and industry that we need GMOs, pesticides, and weed killer foods because it's the only way we can feed the world.  This is a complete fabrication devised to sell us something that we really do not need in order to create profit on top of profit on top of profit for an industry that has gone out of its way to kill small farming and all other competition in this country and other countries.  It's all about market share and Wall Street.  In fact, organic farming produces 30% more crops and uses 30% less water. 

Why is it this way?  Because the FDA and USDA are bought and paid for by two of the most powerful industries in the world, biotech and big agro.   Back before Reagan's appointment to head the FDA destroyed that agency as our primary watchdog for food and drug safety the FDA had its own labs and did their own testing.  For the most part they were independent, and there are many foods and drugs being allowed onto the market today that would have never passed their scrutiny before.  How did this happen?  These industries got big enough that they could use their political and financial influence to basically force Congress to gut the FDA.  Then they had the FDA rules changed so that it became a pay to play operation whereby the industry pays huge fees to get their products rubber-stamped.  They get their money back through increased market share when their smaller competition cannot afford the fees and has to close up shop. The results have been catastrophic to what used to be conventional (organic) farming in this country and the big money has basically created a monopoly that operates outside of common sense law.  Even worse, the quality of our food has declined significantly.  Several times over the last 20 years scientists from within the FDA have put their careers on the line and testified before Congress that this is going on and that their recommendations are routinely overruled by the corporate lackeys at the top.  But of course nothing changes because these scientists are not who butters their bread.

The last thing I want to say is how much people in this country seem to be clueless about the importance of what they put into their mouths and bodies everyday and they have no idea what the true value of quality food should be.  In my opinion the entire system has been Walmarted and the people have been brainwashed into thinking the most important criteria in making a food choice is price.  It's really insane when you think about it because we are what we eat.  Everything you put into your mouth affects you not just genetically but it affects every organ in your body, your nervous system, your skin, your senses, and your lifespan.  The reason food is cheap in this country is because of the very poor and inferior way it is produced, and you know what, you get what you pay for.  The problem is we're not taught any of this.  Our education system and the news media have been captured by the same special interests that have captured our govt watchdog agencies.  This isn't a conspiracy theory, it's how things work in Washington DC these days and it is disgusting.

Didn't mean to get up on a soap box, and I hope I didn't tee anyone off.  But I have been studying this topic for 7 years and I could probably write a book on it.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »
Now let's talk about pesticides.  I see all kinds of posts about nutrition or taste when it comes to organic foods.  That's not really why we should eat organic.  Non-organic food is coated with pesticides, herbicides, and fungicides. 

It's my understanding that organic food isn't free of pesticides, just the type and amount of pesticides that can be used on organic food is very restricted. The community garden I participate in is considered organic, but there is a short list of pesticides we're allowed to use on our plots.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 07:13:41 PM »
This is part of an article I wrote back in 2009.....

This is part of a little part of an article I wrote on this topic and
wanted to share....

There are currently 370 chemicals with tolerances for use in the
United States on over 1,053 food commodities in twenty food groups.
There are numerous other chemicals which have "exemptions from
tolerances, pesticides chemicals not requiring a tolerance or and
exemption from a tolerance" (40 e-CFR 180, 2007). There is no single
method capable of simultaneously analyzing for all of these chemicals
in all of the different food commodities. This is not including any
additives during any production of the article.

Produce with highest levels of pesticide residues? Strawberries, Bell
Peppers, Spinach, Cherries (US), Peaches, Cantaloupe (Mexico),
Celery, Apples, Apricots, Green Beans, Grapes (Chile), Cucumbers,
Pears, Winter Squash (US) and Potatoes (US). Did you know that the US
exports annually 100 - 150 million tons of banned (in the US)
pesticides, and then imports fruit which has been grown using these
pesticides. Regardless of where these crops are being grown with
these chemicals, it is still going into the land, our water, our
oceans and our bodies.

The four main chemicals on our non-organic fruits and vegetables are
carbaryl, diphenylamine, permethrin and thiabendazole.

Carbaryl: Carbaryl is a wide-spectrum carbamate insecticide which
controls over 100 species of insects on citrus, fruit, cotton,
forests, lawns, nuts, ornamentals, shade trees, and other crops, as
well as on poultry, livestock and pets. It is also used as a
molluscicide and an acaricide. Carbaryl works whether it is ingested
into the stomach of the pest or absorbed through direct contact.
Carbaryl is a cholinesterase inhibitor and is toxic to humans. It is
classified as a likely human carcinogen by the EPA. It kills various
beneficial insect and crustacean species along with intended pest
victims, so care must be taken when spraying where beneficial
nontarget species are present. Carbaryl is acutely toxic to
honeybees, destroying colonies of bees foraging in an area where the
chemical has been applied.

Diphenylamine: Like other arylamines, Diphenylamine is toxic.
Exposure is highly regulated in most countries. It is widely used for
storage apples. Diphenylamine (DPA), applied as a dip, drench, spray,
or wrap, is used to control ordinary scald of apples (And scab only
makes an apple un-pretty, you can still eat it, so these chemicals
only make the apple `beautiful').

Permethrin: A common synthetic chemical, widely used as an
insecticide, an acaricide and as an insect repellent. It belongs to
the family of synthetic chemicals called pyrethroids and functions as
a neurotoxin. In agriculture, permethrin is mainly used on cotton,
wheat, maize, and alfalfa crops, and is also used to kill parasites
on chickens and other poultry. Its use is controversial since, as a
broad-spectrum chemical, it kills indiscriminately; as well as the
intended pests, it can harm beneficial insects including honey bees,
aquatic life and small mammals such as mice. Permethrin is extremely
toxic to fish. Extreme care must be taken when using products
containing permethrin near water sources. Permethrin is classified by
the US EPA a likely human carcinogen.

Thiabendazole: Is a fungicide and parasiticide. It is used primarily
to control mold, blight, and other fungally caused diseases in fruits
(e.g. oranges) and vegetables. The substance appears to have a slight
toxicity in higher doses, with effects such as liver and intestine
disorder at high exposure.

Then there is the issue of clothing. How much cotton do you wear? I
try to wear as much wool as I can, summer and winter. There are
harmful chemicals, including nerve agents and neurotoxins, on cotton
crops. I only use flannel sheets on my bed as it takes 22 washings to
get chemicals such as formaldehyde out of your other kinds of sheets.

In the US, $2 billion's worth of chemicals are sprayed on the world's
cotton crop every year. Which is considered toxic enough to be
classified as hazardous by the World Health Organization. Cotton is
responsible for the release of 16% of global insecticides ? more than
any other single crop. In total, almost 1kg of hazardous pesticides
is applied for every hectare of global cropland under cotton.
Aldicarb, a powerful nerve agent, is one of the most toxic pesticides
applied to cotton worldwide. Despite its World Health Organization
classification, "extremely hazardous", US$112 million's worth is
applied to cotton crops each year. Today, only 0.15% of the world's
cotton is guaranteed to be pesticide free.

I wear quality wool as much as I can, including wool socks summer and
winter, as I cannot afford hemp. There is the newer Bamboo clothing
lines, and recycled popbottle clothing, but I refuse to wear plastic
on various reasons and I have not learned all the ramifications of
bamboo manufacturing yet. I do have a few hemp pieces of clothing
(and would love a hemp shower curtain) but you can thank the moguls
of the time namely.. the DuPonts for helping make HEMP illegal and
forbids hemp farming in the US. Why? Dupont filed a patent for nylon,
so made the public afraid of hemp and did adzactly what Monsanto is
doing now. They forced a monopoly on a product.

No wonder we have so many pollutants in our bodies no matter how
careful we try to be....

~ Cedar

In my thinking.. Ingesting or applying chemicals to yourself which you can barely pronounce? Or keeping them out of you? Which is more likely to be more friendly to your body?

Cedar

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 10:29:14 PM »
What about all the chemicals you're made out of that you can't pronounce?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 10:47:45 PM »
What about all the chemicals you're made out of that you can't pronounce?

True.. but if I am made out of them, there is not much I can do about it and it is probably needed to build a human being. I can avoid all the other stuff that mankind has made, which tends to be known toxins or known carcinogens. To me, it is a no-brainer to avoid that stuff whenever possible. Like today I was starving while we were in town for 7 hours today and I had a carrot. It tasted like Raid bug spray. I knew whose farm it was not from. There is a serious difference between an organic and a conventionally grown one.

Cedar

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »
Everything, both synthetic and natural, is toxic at some level. What matters is the dose and route of exposure.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 11:56:22 PM »
Everything, both synthetic and natural, is toxic at some level. What matters is the dose and route of exposure.

And why I avoid what I can.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »
I use pyrethrin as an insecticide.  Would that be safe since it is not a synthetic chemical?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 12:09:19 AM »
I use pyrethrin as an insecticide.  Would that be safe since it is not a synthetic chemical?

It is safer. Pyrethrins are made from Chrysanthemums and are non-persistent, are biodegradable, and rapidly break down on exposure to light or oxygen. Even the USDA and FDA say that Pyrethrins "probably the safest of all insecticides for use in a food plant"... and no one pays them them say that, unlike some of the chemical companies for other products. I still would not eat it straight however, as Pyrethrins are neurotoxins for insects, and are also dangerous for cats and fish.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »
It is safer. Pyrethrins are made from Chrysanthemums and are non-persistent, are biodegradable, and rapidly break down on exposure to light or oxygen. Even the USDA and FDA say that Pyrethrins "probably the safest of all insecticides for use in a food plant"... and no one pays them them say that, unlike some of the chemical companies for other products. I still would not eat it straight however, as Pyrethrins are neurotoxins for insects, and are also dangerous for cats and fish.

Is use it mostly on my cattle and horses as a spray to control flies.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2014, 04:26:33 AM »
And why I avoid what I can.

To each their own.

Offline motleyhoo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 04:11:22 PM »
I wanted to add something about the nutritional aspect.  It is more likely that an organic farm will be taking better care of its soil.  There's two things here.  First, if you grow the same thing or two things in a field over and over again for years and years, the soil will be mostly depleted of its vitamins and minerals in just a few short years.  It only takes 3 years to deplete soil of Magnesium and most Americans are woefully deficient in this mineral.  The large scale conventional farms do not remineralize their soil because of the expense.  It is more likely that the smaller organic farmers are routinely remineralizing their soil every few years.  Second, the way crops get their vitamins and minerals is through the soil where they are broken down by beneficial organism like worms, nematodes, and good bacteria.  This can only happen in fertile soil where these organisms exist and where the soil has been taken of.  The oil-based chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides like Round-Up that the conventional agro industry is using today absolutely destroy soil fertility.  Yeah, the carrots will still look like what carrots are supposed to look like, but they will only have a fraction of the nutrition they should have.

The last thing I have to say on this is that you simply cannot trust anything the big agro and biotech corporations and politicians say about the safety of their products and food because these people lie and spin and hype to the nth degree in the name of profit and Wall Street.  If you see a study on USA Today, CNN, etc. about the difference between organic and conventional you have to ask yourself "who is sponsoring or funding that study?".  I can guarantee you that 99% of the time its the industry itself.  Please do not believe the hype.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
The last thing I have to say on this is that you simply cannot trust anything the big agro and biotech corporations and politicians say about the safety of their products and food because these people lie and spin and hype to the nth degree in the name of profit and Wall Street.  If you see a study on USA Today, CNN, etc. about the difference between organic and conventional you have to ask yourself "who is sponsoring or funding that study?".  I can guarantee you that 99% of the time its the industry itself.  Please do not believe the hype.

Thank you.

Cedar

nelson96

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
The large scale conventional farms do not remineralize their soil because of the expense.  It is more likely that the smaller organic farmers are routinely remineralizing their soil every few years.

Hmmm. . .  Are you quoting from an unbiased study, or is that just a biased opinion?  Would it not be more likely that "large scale conventional farmer" would have more resources available to him to and a "smaller organic farmer" would have less?  Would a large scale farmer not want to put back in to his soil so that he can increase his yield and continue as a large farm?

In my experience there is little difference between a "large scale conventional farmer" and a "smaller organic farmer".  And they both need to grow high yields to stay in business. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »

The potential for being led astray goes both ways, we must be equally skeptical of the hardcore pro-organic side of the argument as well.  Nobody is immune from trying to manipulate and deceive based on their own agendas.

Offline motleyhoo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2014, 09:06:59 PM »
That is true, and that is why it is important to know where your food is coming from instead of just expecting our govt to keep us safe.  They're not in it for us, they're in it for themselves.  But all that aside, it should be common sense that organic food is better to eat than something created in a laboratory and covered in chemicals.  Yeah, there is some propaganda out there on the organic side, but dollar to dollar there's far more coming from the other side as they do things like spending hundreds of millions to block truth in labeling.

nelson96

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2014, 10:14:41 PM »
it should be common sense that organic food is better to eat than something created in a laboratory and covered in chemicals.  Yeah, there is some propaganda out there on the organic side, but dollar to dollar there's far more coming from the other side as they do things like spending hundreds of millions to block truth in labeling.

Yes, it should.  But since you brought up conventional farmers, shouldn't it also be common sense that not all of them are growing in or from a labratory?  A lot less than you think, I would suspect.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2014, 11:20:16 PM »
Yes, it should.  But since you brought up conventional farmers, shouldn't it also be common sense that not all of them are growing in or from a labratory?  A lot less than you think, I would suspect.

Not all conventional growers are growing GMO, but all of them are covering them with herbicides and pesticides. Cotton you do not think about much other than your t-shirt or socks, but "Aldicarb, cotton's second best selling insecticide and most acutely poisonous to humans, can kill a man with just one drop absorbed through the skin, yet it is still used in 25 countries and the US, where 16 states have reported it in their groundwater. The cottonseed hull, where many pesticide residues have been detected, is a secondary crop sold as a food commodity. It is estimated that as much as 65% of cotton production ends up in our food chain, whether directly through food oil or indirectly through the milk and meat of animals."

Fifty-five million pounds of pesticides were sprayed on the 12.8 million acres of conventional cotton grown in the U.S. in 2003 (which is 4.3 pounds/ acre), ranking cotton third behind corn and soybeans in total amount of pesticides sprayed. (USDA)

Cedar