Author Topic: Eating Organic as preventative Medicine  (Read 15939 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Eating Organic as preventative Medicine
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »
They're not in it for us, they're in it for themselves. 

Really?  Everything the government does is malignant?

But all that aside, it should be common sense that organic food is better to eat than something created in a laboratory and covered in chemicals. 

Only if lab created food, and the chemicals they are covered in, are actually dangerous.  What part of "laboratory" and "chemical" automatically equates to being bad for your health?  What part of "organic" equates to being good for your health?

"Aldicarb, cotton's second best selling insecticide and most acutely poisonous to humans, can kill a man with just one drop absorbed through the skin, yet it is still used in 25 countries and the US, where 16 states have reported it in their groundwater.

Aldicarb was banned by the EPA in 2010.  And there's a big difference between the concentration of that "killer drop" and "detectable in groundwater."  It's definitely an extremely potent nerve agent, so much so that the decision was made to ban it's use, but (just like all the other toxins we swim through every day) it's all about the dose and route of absorption.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2014, 04:59:25 AM »
Aldicarb was banned by the EPA in 2010. 

EPA put a ban in place in 2010, but requiring an end to distribution by 2017. Use on citrus and potatoes is banned beginning in 2012, with a complete ban in place by 2018. So it is still being used here currently. "Banned" does not always mean instant-presto.

And do you know where banned chemicals eventually go? They are sent out of the USA to other countries (usually third world) and used usually in greater concentration than what we use here as per label recommendation, then they are shipped back into the USA into our grocery stores on the produce and other food items we eat.

Cedar

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
And do you know where banned chemicals eventually go? They are sent out of the USA to other countries (usually third world) and used usually in greater concentration than what we use here as per label recommendation, then they are shipped back into the USA into our grocery stores on the produce and other food items we eat.

It's been in use worldwide for decades, I don't see that banning it here is likely to increase the risks to the foods we import since they've already been using it. 

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2014, 02:49:01 PM »
It's definitely an extremely potent nerve agent, so much so that the decision was made to ban it's use, but (just like all the other toxins we swim through every day) it's all about the dose and route of absorption.

It's been in use worldwide for decades, I don't see that banning it here is likely to increase the risks to the foods we import since they've already been using it.

But you do not choose to eat the organic non-chemical fruit or veggie over the chemical one? Some fruits/veggies have over 12 chemicals which are on and in them. To me, it boggles my brain that a person would consider the one which has toxins like that on it, no matter how small, and edible, over the organic one which has fewer or no chemicals on it. Like you said..

To each their own.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 03:51:12 PM »
Really?  Everything the government does is malignant?

From my experience, and unqualified opinion, I'd say pretty much everything has an angle behind it.  While some things the government does looks good, follow the money, see what palms got greased or pockets lined, or what was compromised in the process.  It's very disheartening.

But most folks prefer to deny, or keep their heads in the sand, thinking everything is rosey.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I eat organic where possible.  Mainly I eat my own crops or barter with others growing organic. And I avoid things like wheat all together where I can.  If people only knew....

~TG

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
But you do not choose to eat the organic non-chemical fruit or veggie over the chemical one? Some fruits/veggies have over 12 chemicals which are on and in them. To me, it boggles my brain that a person would consider the one which has toxins like that on it, no matter how small, and edible, over the organic one which has fewer or no chemicals on it.

I eat whatever looks good, tastes good, and can be obtained at a reasonable cost. 

Essentially, I think you and I differ on the belief as to whether any amount of a potentially harmful chemical is safe for consumption.  I believe the evidence shows that we have the ability to take an extremely deadly nerve agent and safely apply it to crops at a concentration that is harmless to humans yet effectively kills pests and improves crop yield. 

Yes there are risks, but it's manageable and not out of the range of what a modern, technologically advanced, society is capable of.  But that's another issue where we probably differ on a fundamental level. 

But most folks prefer to deny, or keep their heads in the sand, thinking everything is rosey.

I think it's pretty easy to indulge the other extreme, as well.  It's not all rosey, but it's not all doom and gloom, either.  There are good people who work in government and take their responsibility to the public quite seriously.  They're not all out to destroy us. 

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 10:58:16 PM »

I think it's pretty easy to indulge the other extreme, as well.  It's not all rosey, but it's not all doom and gloom, either.  There are good people who work in government and take their responsibility to the public quite seriously.  They're not all out to destroy us.

Please go back and reread my comments.  I never mentioned doom and gloom, I never mentioned there were not good people in government, never mentioned people weren't serious, and I never said anyone was out to destroy us.

My comments refer to government inefficiencies, hidden agendas at high levels, and financial corruption.  There is a lot of "what's in it for me" at the decision making funding levels. 

Sorry for not making my point crystal clear.

~TG

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 12:46:39 PM »
I think a study needs to be done on the years/decades when cancer and other illnesses began to escalate to the point of the graph hockey-sticking itself. Used to be 1-in-50 Americans were expected to come down with some form of cancer at some time in his or her life. Then it became 1-in-20. Now it's 1-in-2. So yeah, I suspect we have a hockey stick graph in the making there.

And then we need to correlate that hockey stick graph of progressive rates of cancer side-by-side with a graph of the years/decades of American pesticide usage, including the exact years when certain pesticides first got introduced to the agricultural industry. 

Now I realize that "correlation does not necessarily mean causation." But if those hockey sticks do in fact line up, then I can't see it at all unreasonable for some people --after having examined such data-- to want to avoid pesticides all together. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 04:59:33 PM »
Please go back and reread my comments.  I never mentioned doom and gloom, I never mentioned there were not good people in government, never mentioned people weren't serious, and I never said anyone was out to destroy us.

How is one to conclude that you disagree with the statement everything the government does is malignant based on those comments?

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »
How is one to conclude that you disagree with the statement everything the government does is malignant based on those comments?

I'm a girl.  It's not what I say, it's what I mean.  #34 of the rule book.

Are you one of those guys that have never bothered to read the rule book about women?

Malignant. \m?-?lig-n?nt\
adjective
medical : very serious and dangerous : tending or likely to grow and spread in a rapid and uncontrolled way that can cause death

A cancer that feeds off of, and corrupts healthy cells until the healthy cells are choked out?  Yeah, I'd say that pretty well describes most of what we know as government these days.

I believe eating organic helps avoid cancer, malignancy, and it also tends to opt out of the mega corp industrial system.  In a way, it is a disconnect from government too, and that's why they come down on independent producers so hard.

~TG
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:29:14 PM by TexasGirl »

nelson96

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 07:56:10 PM »
I'm a girl.  It's not what I say, it's what I mean.  #34 of the rule book.

Are you one of those guys that have never bothered to read the rule book about women?

Rule #44 and #62 . . .  They always have to have the last word and they are always right because they think men aren't.  ;)

Thank goodness my wife loves me enough to let me win every once and a while.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2014, 11:06:43 PM »
Rule #44 and #62 . . .  They always have to have the last word and they are always right because they think men aren't.  ;)

Thank goodness my wife loves me enough to let me win every once and a while.

+1

See, you are right!

~TG

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to read the book.  Was it because you love your wife, or did you do it for self defense survival preparedness?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:11:49 PM by TexasGirl »

nelson96

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2014, 11:34:01 PM »
Was it because you love your wife, or did you do it for self defense survival preparedness?

I wouldn't be very smart, if it was not for both reasons.  ;)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2014, 11:59:20 PM »

Touche!

Twenty years of marriage and I'm just now hearing there's a book?!